PDA

View Full Version : Flying speed and dashing?

Setharious
2019-07-03, 05:55 PM
So as an aarakocra, with a 50ft flying speed, can you dash for 100ft? Could you walk 25ft, then dash for 50 in the air or vice versa? Also, of I am reading everything right, as a swashbuckler can you go 50ft in to attack, fly 5ft above someone, attack them and apply sneak attack to it with swash ability, then fly 50ft away, lather rinse repeat?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-03, 06:09 PM
So as an aarakocra, with a 50ft flying speed, can you dash for 100ft? Could you walk 25ft, then dash for 50 in the air or vice versa? Also, of I am reading everything right, as a swashbuckler can you go 50ft in to attack, fly 5ft above someone, attack them and apply sneak attack to it with swash ability, then fly 50ft away, lather rinse repeat?

Away from the book right now but isn't there a thing about if you use 1/2 your walking speed you only have 1/2 your flying speed left?

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-07-03, 06:13 PM

Yes, if you have a fly speed of 50 you can dash for 100 feet if you fly the whole way. I'm not sure how mixing ground and air movement speeds works for that (there may not even be an official ruling), but walk your normal move and fly your normal fly instead of doubling one of them seems reasonable.

And yes, Cunning Action makes flying rogues insanely maneuverable.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-03, 06:27 PM
Distance traveled is deduced from your movement allowance no matter the means of movement. If you Dash, you can move 25' on foot and then fly 75' (fly speed 50' x 2 for Dash, -25' moved already).

Yes, you can split attacks and movement. You can even move between attacks in the same actions, so if you had Extra Attack, you could move towards the enemy, attack, move towards different enemy, attack, and move away.

Setharious
2019-07-03, 07:04 PM
Part of my question is, that ability in swash that gives an additional way to use sneak attack, would it work while flying above the opponent?

JackPhoenix
2019-07-03, 09:09 PM
Part of my question is, that ability in swash that gives an additional way to use sneak attack, would it work while flying above the opponent?

As long as there isn't anyone else standing next to him, sure.

Setharious
2019-07-03, 09:27 PM
As long as there isn't anyone else standing next to him, sure.

Why wouldn't it work if others are next to him? I thought I just needed a single creature next to me?

sithlordnergal
2019-07-03, 09:32 PM
Why wouldn't it work if others are next to him? I thought I just needed a single creature next to me?

The Swashbuckler's sneak attack allows you to get sneak attack if your allies are next to them or if they don't have any of their allies next to them. So say you're battling some group:

Target one has your fighter friend within 5 feet of them, they can be sneak attacked

Target two is all alone with no-one around them, they can be sneak attacked

Target three has a buddy right next to them, they can't be sneak attacked.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-03, 09:40 PM

Exactly. A creature underneath the swashbuckler, but still within 5 feet, even diagonally, is still next to him.