PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with spell choices from a epic boon

danpit2991
2019-07-04, 12:27 AM
Greetings everyone, i was recently in a session zero/ zero level game (DM was trying something new for character creation where we started with no class and gained one from play) during the course of play i negotiated a pact with a Planetar and was given the ability to select spells from any class list and could use some advice on what to choose

as it stands right now i am a level1 celestial warlock Vhuman str10, dex13, con14, wis11, int12, cha 16 i have not yet selected a feat for Vhuman or any spells all i know for sure is i want EB and plan to go tomelock

any way thank you in advance for your advice

Edit: this boon is for all of my spells it basically let's me choose my known spells from any list and doesn't change the number of known spells

Xihirli
2019-07-04, 12:35 AM
How many spells?

I'm almost certainly going to recommend Find Greater Steed.
It's always-on, concentration-free fly speed with a free Dash or Disengage every round that combos well with Armor of Agathys. Your steed will stick around as long as it lives so you don't have to worry about losing one of your spell slots.

I am poor at reading evidently. We're looking at only first level spells.

I wouldn't take a ritual since with Tomelock you'll have ways to get those.
Since I'm not looking at Find Familiar, I don't have an obvious choice. Healing Word sucks on a Warlock since it upcasts terribly and you have to upcast it (and you have a better choice anyway).
Bless scales okay and it's a really good spell right from one. I'd probably take that one.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-04, 01:42 AM
It depends on your party role, and is it in addition to your normal spells known or replacing them. Either way stand outs for me are.
Command: it's a non concentration spell that can take multiple enemies out of the fight for 1-2 turns.
Bless: always decent primary drawback is using concentration.
Heroism: if your party doesn't have another source of thp this can be a godsend.
Inflict wounds: you have ranged covered by EB but this is the best close target damage spell in the lower levels.

danpit2991
2019-07-04, 01:59 AM
Sorry should have clarified, as part of my pact I can choose my spells known from any list this doesn't increase my number of spells known

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-04, 02:31 AM
Any idea what role you want to play?

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-04, 05:14 AM
Sorry should have clarified, as part of my pact I can choose my spells known from any list this doesn't increase my number of spells known

Is this for just the first level, or last until you lose the boon/retire the character?
Mostly asking as there might be good combo's you could collect this way.
And would this apply to your Mystic Arcanum as well? Because 1/day cast of *ANY* 6th to 9th levep spell, not just on the Warlock list, could be huge.

danpit2991
2019-07-04, 10:41 AM
Is this for just the first level, or last until you lose the boon/retire the character?
Mostly asking as there might be good combo's you could collect this way.
And would this apply to your Mystic Arcanum as well? Because 1/day cast of *ANY* 6th to 9th levep spell, not just on the Warlock list, could be huge.

yes it is for all my spells/ arcanum i already know im going to grab wish lol

danpit2991
2019-07-04, 10:45 AM
Any idea what role you want to play?

welli am thinking of trying the utility/blaster role with a focus on utility

Xihirli
2019-07-04, 11:26 AM
You get utility with Pact of the Tome already, so save your ‘lock slots for blasting.

Scorching Ray is good on a Warlock with an extra beam per upcast and good crit dice for a darkness/devil’s sight combo. Polymorph is spectacular when you can get it, swap it out once you get fifth level slots.
Keeping my Greater Steed recommendation - this is a 13th Level class feature disguised as a spell that you can steal at level 7 and it is going to trivialize so many obstacles and keep you out of reach of almost anything all-day, every day.