PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gem Dragonborn and Psionic Feats

sandmote
2019-07-04, 12:20 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1Zm5tsjer)

The folloiwng racial, subclass, and feat options are meant to be compatible with my Psionic Disciplines Overhaul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584600-Mystic-Psionics-Disciplines-Rebalance-(PEACH)). A complied list of my psionics homebrew is available on my extended signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23562351&postcount=309).

Gem Dragonborn
Some dragonborn take after gem dragons rather than after metallic or chromatic dragons.

Gem dragonborn choose a Draconic ancestry from the table below, and gain the listed Resistance and Breath Weapon, instead of the options available to the normal dragonborn.

Dragon Color
Damage Type
Breath Weapon

Amythest
Thunder
5' by 30' line (DEX save)

Crystal
Lightning
15' cone (CON save)

Emerald
Thunder
15' cone (CON save)

Obsidian
Fire
15' cone (DEX save)

Sapphire
Thunder
15' cone (CON save)

Topaz
Acid
15' cone (CON save)

Gem Draconic Bloodline
Draconic bloodline sorcerers with a gem dragon anscetor ae rare, but not unknown. When you choose one type of dragon as an anscestor, the following options are also available.

Dragon
Damage Type

Amythest
Thunder

Crystal
Lightning

Emerald
Thunder

Obsidian
Fire

Sapphire
Thunder

Topaz
Acid

I am adding thunder to the list of damage type options for a dragonborn/ draconic sorcerer. At least arguably, crystal dragons being associated with lighting and topaz dragons with acid don't fit the best, but I'd rather avoid adding more damage types.

Moving on to the psionic feats:

Split Psionic Ray
Prerequisite: Able to manifest at least one talent or power

When you use your action and at least two psi points to manifest a power that deals one die of damage per psi points spent, you can use a bonus action to slow the psionic energy and then redirect a portion of it at a second target. The second target also takes damage from the power, as if you had manifested it a second time.

You must declare you are using this ability before the attack roll or saving throw of the first ray.

This is primarily to serve as a buff for the powers that deal scaling damage, as talents and cantrips can closely match these powers.

Cloak Dance
You are skilled at using optical tricks to make yourself seem to be where you are not. As a bonus action, you can conceal your true location, gaining the effects of half cover without needing to actually be behind anything. You must be wearing a cape or cloak to gain this benefit.

Taken from similar 5e feats, this stacks with a shield, which is why it is listed by itself. I'm considering adding a dexterity prerequisite, but I'm not sure that is necessary to limit the power of this feat.

Psionic Hole
Prerequisite: 13 Constitution

As long as you have zero psi points, manifestors attempting to target you with a power must spend an additional psi point to target you with a power, which doesn't count against their psi limit.

A limitation of the strength of psionics, I'm pretty sure this needs an additional ability to be worthwhile. Not sure what to add though.

Psionic Meditation
Prerequisite: 13 Wisdom

You can focus your mind faster than normal, even under duress. When you psionically focus on a power, you can choose a psionic focus without needing to use a bonus action. You can do this once per turn, and you cannot make an interaction on the same turn.

Wild Talent
From your study of psionics, you have coaxed psychic power from your mind. You gain the following benefits:

You learn two talents of your choice
You can choose one power that cost 2 psi points or fewer. Once per day, you can manifest that power without needing to spend psi points. If you chose a power with a variable psi point cost, you can manifest it as if you had spent two psi points on it.

Charisma is your psionic ability for the talents and power you gain from this feat.

As psionics aren't limited by class, I've used a charisma requirement to balance this feat. Otherwise, it's equivalent to Magic Initiate

Distance Manifester

When you cast a power that requires a ranged attack roll, the power's range is doubled.
Your ranged power attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
You learn a single talent that requires an attack roll of your choice. Your manifesting modifier for this talent is the same as that of your previously known powers. If you have powers that are manifested using different stats, you can choose which of those stats to use when manifesting this power.

Power Specialization

When you gain this feat, choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. Powers you manifest ignore resistance to the chosen type, and whenever you roll damage for a power that deals damage of the chosen type, treat any rolled 1's as being a 2.

You may take this feat multiple times; each time, you must select a different damage type.

War Manifester

You have advantage on Constitution saves that you make to maintain concentration on a power when you take damage.
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to manifest a power at the creature, instead of making an opportunity attack. The power must target only that creature.

These three powers are to limit the strength of character that can both manifest powers and cast spells.

Phhase
2019-07-06, 01:49 AM
I really like the addition of gem dragonborn (I think I brought it up the other day in a a thread somewhere), but I'm not sure why the opposition to adding more damage types? It scrooges you for flavor. Afaik, the damage types should be:

Amethyst - Force
Crystal - Radiant (Listed as a "cone of brilliant light" in MM2, now an actual damage type in 5e)
Emerald/Sapphire - Sonic (same as Thunder, I just prefer calling it that)
Topaz - Necrotic (Listed as a "cone of dehydration resembling a watery blast" in MM3, now more or less a damage type)
Obsidian - Doesn't exist....?

Where exactly are you getting your dragons?

Great Dragon
2019-07-06, 10:21 AM
The Gems were from a Dragon Magazine and updated in the 3e Monster Manual Two.

I think the original Obsidian Dragon was in a Dragon Magazine, but am not sure. IiRC it had a web-like breath.

Found the stats:
WotC (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b)

Phhase
2019-07-07, 02:35 PM
It seems like the original Dragon Magazine Obsidian Dragon had breath of frozen acid. Neat.

Great Dragon
2019-07-08, 04:56 PM
It seems like the original Dragon Magazine Obsidian Dragon had breath of frozen acid. Neat.
Yep.

I liked using Clinging Breath (+Lingering Breath) feat on the Web Breath, followed asap with Maximize Breath feat on the Frozen Acid and down goes the non-Cleric/Druid Caster!!!

With UsAeXpress, you can buy almost anything:
The expression on the rest of the players at seeing that = Priceless!!

Phhase
2019-07-08, 09:39 PM
Yep.

I liked using Clinging Breath feat on the Web Breath, followed asap with Maximize Frozen Acid Breath feat on that, and down goes the non-Cleric/Druid Caster!!!

With UsAeXpress, you can buy almost anything:
The expression on the rest of the players at seeing that = Priceless!!

Are those feats from a splatbook?

Great Dragon
2019-07-08, 10:49 PM
Both feats are listed in the 3x Draconomicon.
Lingering Breath (Requires Clinging) as well.

sandmote
2019-07-12, 07:34 PM
I haven't had time to do much more than check my games for a while. Apologies.

I really like the addition of gem dragonborn (I think I brought it up the other day in a a thread somewhere), but I'm not sure why the opposition to adding more damage types? It scrooges you for flavor. Afaik, the damage types should be:

Amethyst - Force
Crystal - Radiant (Listed as a "cone of brilliant light" in MM2, now an actual damage type in 5e)
Emerald/Sapphire - Sonic (same as Thunder, I just prefer calling it that)
Topaz - Necrotic (Listed as a "cone of dehydration resembling a watery blast" in MM3, now more or less a damage type)
Obsidian - Doesn't exist....?

Where exactly are you getting your dragons?I stumbled on them on one of the lore wikis while looking over psionic monsters. For flavor, I generally prefer letting the type of dragonborn influence how NPCs treat the dragonborn (extra in places where they are mistaken for dragons).

The lore I read listed Amethyst dragons as having an explosive shot, which I figured would be easiest to treat as sonic/thunder damage. It's also why the Amethyst dragonborn's breath is line shaped.
I did figure radiant damage fits best for Crystal and necrotic for Topaz, but I'm a little worried about the balance of the two. Necrotic Resistance in adventures with a lot of undead feels particularly awkward. Although Aasimar exist... Hm.

For now, acid and lightning breaths for the dragonborn in the player handbook are all line shaped, so the current crystal and topaz options still grant some mechanical difference. I'll leave them until I hear/read a bit more on the subject.

The Gems were from a Dragon Magazine in the 3e Monster Manual Two.

I think the original Obsidian Dragon was in a Dragon Magazine, but am not sure. IiRC it had a web-like breath.

Found the stats:
WotC (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b)Glad to hear what I was reading wasn't adding in homebrew so much as removing crunch.

It seems like the original Dragon Magazine Obsidian Dragon had breath of frozen acid. Neat.That sounds more interesting, given I'd be taking out the option for a dragonborn to have a cone shaped acid breath if I change topaz.

Phhase
2019-07-13, 05:49 PM
I stumbled on them on one of the lore wikis while looking over psionic monsters. For flavor, I generally prefer letting the type of dragonborn influence how NPCs treat the dragonborn (extra in places where they are mistaken for dragons).

The lore I read listed Amethyst dragons as having an explosive shot, which I figured would be easiest to treat as sonic/thunder damage. It's also why the Amethyst dragonborn's breath is line shaped.
I did figure radiant damage fits best for Crystal and necrotic for Topaz, but I'm a little worried about the balance of the two. Necrotic Resistance in adventures with a lot of undead feels particularly awkward. Although Aasimar exist... Hm.

For now, acid and lightning breaths for the dragonborn in the player handbook are all line shaped, so the current crystal and topaz options still grant some mechanical difference. I'll leave them until I hear/read a bit more on the subject.

Glad to hear what I was reading wasn't adding in homebrew so much as removing crunch.

That sounds more interesting, given I'd be taking out the option for a dragonborn to have a cone shaped acid breath if I change topaz.

The MM2 lists the Amethyst Dragon's breath weapon as a "Line of concussive force" which can be read as either Force or Thunder, but since the Amethyst dragon also has the Force Resistant trait (Basically Force Subtype), I feel it's closer to Force.

On the note of cones of acid, the Green dragon gas-cone breath weapon used to deal acid damage before the Poison type was invented, so there's precedent for that already. Honestly, there's not a great deal to worry about balance with damage type as long as they don't invent a mindflayer dragonborn that breathes a cone of psychic energy. And hey, it's not like everyone and their mother is throwing magic missiles at you eh?

The frozen acid might be kinda weird though, since it's listed as doing cold damage on impact, and make a Reflex Save to not also take some acid damage. They're resistant to cold, but take extra damage from fire AND electricity for some reason. The web of ice thing is a 3x per day attack that you have to make an extra save not to have your mouth covered (and suffocate) and have to either strength check break free or have someone cut you out (which deals some damage to you too). Oddness all around.

sandmote
2019-07-16, 05:45 PM
Sorry ,forgot to reply.

The MM2 lists the Amethyst Dragon's breath weapon as a "Line of concussive force" which can be read as either Force or Thunder, but since the Amethyst dragon also has the Force Resistant trait (Basically Force Subtype), I feel it's closer to Force.

On the note of cones of acid, the Green dragon gas-cone breath weapon used to deal acid damage before the Poison type was invented, so there's precedent for that already. Honestly, there's not a great deal to worry about balance with damage type as long as they don't invent a mindflayer dragonborn that breathes a cone of psychic energy. And hey, it's not like everyone and their mother is throwing magic missiles at you eh? I think an equivalent argument can be made for necrotic and radiant damage. Also, resistance to warlock damage doesn't sound like a good racial feature. I think I'll leave Amythyst dragons as having a unique breath shape/type combination, rather than a unique type.

The frozen acid might be kinda weird though, since it's listed as doing cold damage on impact, and make a Reflex Save to not also take some acid damage. They're resistant to cold, but take extra damage from fire AND electricity for some reason. The web of ice thing is a 3x per day attack that you have to make an extra save not to have your mouth covered (and suffocate) and have to either strength check break free or have someone cut you out (which deals some damage to you too). Oddness all around.I can't find this version of an obsidian dragon, but your description makes me want to come up with something that can be mistaken for a dragon and acts like this.

Phhase
2019-07-16, 07:08 PM
resistance to warlock damage
PFFFFFFFF

To be fair though, you CAN play warlock in other ways. I'm making a grappler version of the Armor of Agathys rager where endgame is grappling with Investiture of Fire.

I can't find this version of an obsidian dragon

It's here (https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg146.pdf), pages 23 and 25

Great Dragon
2019-07-16, 07:46 PM
@Phhase: can I ask a favor?
Please warn about download links?

I'm stuck on my phone most times, and am running out of space. I gotta wait until I have access to my Tablet, to get it off the phone.

Thanks for the old Dragon Magazine, btw.
****. ***** ******
I don't think having Resistence to a given damage type is all that bad.

Although, I do find it annoying that now there's a Psychic Resistant Race, you just know someone will go Bear Barbarian to be Resistant to All Damages!!

Razade
2019-07-16, 09:19 PM
The Gems were from a Dragon Magazine and updated in the 3e Monster Manual Two.

Found the stats:
WotC (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b)

The Gem Dragons were actually in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual, updated to the new addition by Dragon Magazine (plus making a few of their own) and then made official once more.

The Amethyst Dragons were known back then for having two different breath weapons. One was the lozenge that would explode. The other...I think was a sleep gas or something similar. I don't have the book with me sadly.

Phhase
2019-07-16, 10:53 PM
download links?

Oh, I didn't realize clicking on it caused it to download for mobile. Clicking just opens in browser for me. Weird. Noted.

Great Dragon
2019-07-17, 04:58 AM
Oh, I didn't realize clicking on it caused it to download for mobile. Clicking just opens in browser for me. Weird. Noted.

Yeah, mobiles are weird. (At least all mine so far)

Sometimes it just opens the webpage (NP)
Othertimes, it will just flash, and not seem to do anything. Couple minutes later, says download complete. Arg!!

I think I can find the AD&D MM, and look it up. I'll post it when I can.

2e Monstrous Compendium (I don't have the Monstrous Compendium Binders) pages 70-74.

IiRC: The Dragon Magazines were before that. But it will take even more time to hunt them down.

skaeren
2019-07-17, 07:34 PM
Nice work!

sandmote
2019-07-17, 11:23 PM
PFFFFFFFF

To be fair though, you CAN play warlock in other ways. I'm making a grappler version of the Armor of Agathys rager where endgame is grappling with Investiture of Fire. That sounds like a fun build, but I have a feeling this would be an issue at most tables. Warlocks are great for utility, but they pretty much depend on Armor of Agathys and Eldritch Blast for damage. Especially single class warlocks.

Your comment also randomly made me want to test letting warlocks use Zephyr Strike. No idea why.

It's here (https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg146.pdf), pages 23 and 25 Thank you very much.

I don't think having Resistence to a given damage type is all that bad.

Although, I do find it annoying that now there's a Psychic Resistant Race, you just know someone will go Bear Barbarian to be Resistant to All Damages!! In addition to resistance for dragonborn, there's also draconic sorcerers. Writing out my thoughts, fire spells are more common, but so is resistance. Meanwhile, Chill Touch is the only sorcerer spell dealing necrotic/radiant damage below fourth level. That would make multiclassing more crucial for crystal/topaz dragonic sorcerers.

There's already a race with both resistances at once. But I also like allowing cone shaped acid/lightning breath, even if they need a slight refluff to make sense.

If you make phase's build with the Great Old One patron you'd be able to resist physic damage as well. And deal damage back to anyone hitting you with it.

Nice work!Thank you. Unless you were talking about Phhase digging up that magazine, in which case I agree.

Phhase
2019-07-18, 12:34 PM
That sounds like a fun build, but I have a feeling this would be an issue at most tables. Warlocks are great for utility, but they pretty much Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast Eldritch Blast for damage. Especially single class warlocks.

I mean, Iunno. I also had the idea that I could carry a canister of saltwater, and use shape water to drown people while I hold em down. Then cast frostbite on the orb of water the next turn to make it really sting. (Yeah, I didn't take Eldritch Blast. Yeah, it was out of contrariness, but also because I saw other possibilities, as you can see)

Your comment also randomly made me want to test letting <class> use Zephyr Strike.

Honestly, I was allowed to use it on Arcane Trickster and it was a blast. There's got to be better ways of balancing Ranger then giving it cool spells that noone else can use.

If you make phase's build with the Great Old One patron you'd be able to resist physic damage as well. And deal damage back to anyone hitting you with it.
Uhhh funny you should say that, my version of this grapple build (and yes the build does work without it, but still) is built with a custom Pact of the Kraken/pactboon giving me nice grapple bonuses due to having lots of arms. My DM's ok with pretty much anything, and makes it all work somehow, he's great.

sandmote
2019-07-19, 09:39 PM
Unless you have something I can add to Psionic Hole above, I'd be more comfortable moving this conversation to my ranger rebalance or some of the homebrew I've written on warlocks. Sorry.

I mean, Iunno. I also had the idea that I could carry a canister of saltwater, and use shape water to drown people while I hold em down. Then cast frostbite on the orb of water the next turn to make it really sting. (Yeah, I didn't take Eldritch Blast. Yeah, it was out of contrariness, but also because I saw other possibilities, as you can see)

Uhhh funny you should say that, my version of this grapple build (and yes the build does work without it, but still) is built with a custom Pact of the Kraken/pactboon giving me nice grapple bonuses due to having lots of arms. My DM's ok with pretty much anything, and makes it all work somehow, he's great. It took me a second to notice the hilarious correction of my earlier comment.

I have tried a Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade warlock with the Mobility feat, and that worked okay. Otherwise I've mostly used homebrew to support alternative playstyles:

I've written a pair of melee based patrons. The Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577537-By-the-Power-of-Dragons-The-Dragon-Patron-(PEACH)) grants a knockoff of the paladin's smite that isn't tied to spell slots, and The Empowered Bastion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577796-A-Sturdy-Warlock-Patron-The-Empowered-Bastion-(PEACH)) (Themed on modrons and magic buildings) plays with resistances and hit points to keep a warlock alive near the front.

My main fix was adding two variants of eldritch blast and invocations that grant additional (low level) pact slots. Its easier (in my experience) to cast a higher level spell instead of eldritch blast when it doesn't cost you a third or a quarter of your spell slots. Those are here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576879-Warlock-Spell-and-Invocation-Options).

based on your description I'm not nearly as good a DM as your, but hopefully one day I'll get there.

Honestly, I was allowed to use it on Arcane Trickster and it was a blast. There's got to be better ways of balancing Ranger then giving it cool spells that noone else can use. My main changes were to let the ranger deal bonus damage to favored enemies, select additional individual targets for a limited time they can apply those bonuses to, and recover spell slots on a short rest (although very few). Please see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?592451-Sandmote-s-Ranger-Fixes-(PEACH)) for more detail.

Personally, I think the reliance on Hunter's Mark is because the ranger doesn't get any other real damage bonus, so I treat other powerful ranger spells as balancing Hunter's Mark rather than rangers as a whole. The main issue is that they don't seem comfortable releasing a proper ranger fix in the official books, so giving the class powerful spells no one else gets is about all they have left.

Not to say ranger (or warlocks) are bad classes, they just fall behind in the pillar of play best supported by the game.