PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Archetype - Berserker

ZenBear
2019-07-04, 12:46 PM
One of my players wants to multiclass Fighter/Barbarian to follow his character’s progress dealing with her anger issues, but I figured it would be reasonable to simply offer a kind of gestalt subclass for Fighter. Here’s what I’ve got so far.

Rage
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the ability to enter a rage. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.

While raging, you gain the following benefits:

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage roll.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Short Fuse
Beginning at 7th level, you can use your rage twice before needing to take a long rest.

Relentless Rage
Starting at 10th level, your rage can keep you fighting despite grievous wounds. If you drop to 0 hit points while you’re raging and don’t die outright, you can make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you drop to 1 hit point instead.

Each time you use this feature after the first, the DC increases by 5. When you finish a short or long rest, the DC resets to 10.

Persistent Rage
Beginning at 15th level, your rage is so fierce that it ends early only if you fall unconscious or if you choose to end it.

Always Angry
Starting at 18th level, you can now rage three times per long rest and the damage bonus increases to +2.

The idea is to give half the rages and damage bonus, since it’s not a full Barbarian and Fighters get 4 attacks, but allow it to be used while wearing heavy armor.

Thoughts?

Maxidion
2019-07-04, 12:58 PM
I very much like this idea, I will probably use it for my games.

Suggestion, seeing as how she's trying to deal with (and I assume learn to control better) her anger, maybe you add some minor additional penalties to the subclass, but which allows you to add to add some other benefit. Maybe at higher levels or some sort of story progression could help her lose the penalties.

Good class in general, just thought that maybe for this specific person you might want to add some kind of penalty to represent her anger being a problem. Obviously talk to the player about that first, and if you know they will do a good job RPing the anger as a problem then the penalties will be less necessary.