PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Curiosity (Ghost Touch)

ElderDarren
2019-07-04, 02:49 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

In perusing the lovely discussion on Flash-Step I stumbled across a build (linked below) that postulates applying the Ghost Touch weapons property to a Warforged Monk, using the text to effectively make the Warforged Incorporeal At Will. I am intensely curious as to the rules ramification on this.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15474863&postcount=732

My gut says no, as it is not Masterwork Quality. This being said, I am aware the Playground Hive-Mind has collectively forgotten more than I'll ever know.

MisterKaws
2019-07-04, 03:18 PM
DMGII, page 233, Ritual of Blood. Punch a (baby)Dragon in the kidney, then bathe yourself in its blood, then just grab some weapon-crafting materials and eat them like donuts.

Bonus points if you call yourself Sieg Engine.

The Viscount
2019-07-04, 08:23 PM
Ghost touch weapons are not incorporeal, they simply do not suffer miss chance when attacking creatures that are incorporeal. The description is as follows

This armor or shield seems almost translucent.
Both its enhancement bonus and its armor bonus count against
the attacks of incorporeal creatures. It can be picked up, moved,
and worn by incorporeal creatures at any time. Incorporeal creatures
gain the armor or shield’s enhancement bonus against both
corporeal and incorporeal attacks, and they can still pass freely
through solid objects.

This being said, there are a number of interesting things a warforged monk enhancing its unarmed strike (via stuff like necklace of natural weapons, amulet of mighty fists, or artificer infusions).

ElderDarren
2019-07-04, 08:56 PM
This is awkward. Your copy appears to lack the text in question of abuse.

Ghost Touch: A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally
against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to
attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up
and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting
ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a
ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at
any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder

Am I using an out of date copy? And I apologize if I appear confrontational, I do not mean to.

Necroticplague
2019-07-05, 12:43 AM
This doesn't work. Enhancements to your unarmed strikes don't physically modify your body like that seems to be suggesting. An unarmed strike is made with your body, but it is not your body. So a monk with a +1 unarmed strike doesn't suddenly get a bonus to saves and some hardness.

And with that, it basically falls apart as a whole.

Psyren
2019-07-05, 12:56 AM
Your unarmed strike counts as incorporeal != you count as incorporeal. As others have said, this doesn't work.

ElderDarren
2019-07-05, 12:34 PM
This was what I figured, but I wanted to run it past the minds of the playground. Thank you all for your input.

MisterKaws
2019-07-05, 12:50 PM
A bit of a tangent, but Invisible Fist Monks do get Blink as a class feature, so they can pass through thin objects easily enough, although at a minor risk of damage. Just carry some healing items.

The Viscount
2019-07-05, 03:12 PM
This is awkward. Your copy appears to lack the text in question of abuse.

Ghost Touch: A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally
against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to
attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up
and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting
ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a
ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at
any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder

Am I using an out of date copy? And I apologize if I appear confrontational, I do not mean to.

No, you're right here. I was using the text from ghost touch armor, but ghost touch weapon is the important part. As people said, it's one of those things like he throwing and returning enhancement that just don't work as well when interacting with unarmed strikes, but you'd have to argue very hard that it applies to the whole body at the same time.