PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Transforming Prepared Spells classes into Spells Known or Spellbook classes.

Tiadoppler
2019-07-04, 10:03 PM
Okay, hear me out. I have a reason for making this change (for a specific upcoming campaign).

My players are about to finish one campaign and we'll be starting the next one immediately. The current campaign is an epic-level (no level cap) plane-hopping deity-battling why-are-there-so-many-special-abilities comedy/drama story.

The next campaign is going to be a low level, story-focused, roleplay heavy campaign based loosely on the Harry Potter genre (magic boarding school, but in D&D). Big things my players want to do are:

* Develop friendships with interesting NPCs
* Have long-term rivals and antagonists that they aren't allowed to simply brutally murder
* Go to magic classes and learn spells

That last one is the issue. Session Zero has already happened, and two of my players are playing Prepared Spells classes (Artificer and Druid), but they want to have to attend class and make checks to learn spells. That doesn't fit in well with being able to swap their spell list around with each long rest. They're willing to make the change and play Artificers and Druids with a list of spells known.

So, now I need to make a fair system for making Druids and Artificers into Spells Known or Spellbook/Prepared classes.

Artificers:

I could see them having a spellbook (Only automatically add 1 spell per level, or something), but only being able to prepare INT+1/2 Level spells. This is a slight nerf from the current UA (able to prepare INT+1/2 Level spells from their whole spell list).

Should I increase their prepared spells to make up for it (by 1 or 2)?

Should I increase the rate at which they automatically add spells to their spellbook?

Druids:

I think they're best as a spells known class. At the moment, they can prepare WIS+Level spells from their whole class list. Spells Known reduces their versatility significantly.

Should I simply increase their Spells Known to WIS+5+Level, so they can have more spells?

WIS+(1.5 * Level)?

2*Level?

WIS+(2*Level)?

To be clear:
I don't think that this is a good/important change to make for most campaigns.
I understand why some classes get prepared spells rather than spells known.

Any feedback on the subject of how to do this while staying balanced would be appreciated. Feel free to talk about Clerics too (There aren't any Cleric PCs at the moment, but that could change).

Tanarii
2019-07-04, 10:16 PM
Honestly, the way the majority of my players choose their spells and stick with them, with some rare exceptions for specific missions, you could change Druids or Clerics to Spells Known flat out and they wouldn't suffer. Certainly either could become spellbooks classes, the rare exceptions would be handily covered by that. In fact, it'd be a bit of a boost if it came with the Ritual Casting from the book as well.

Not familiar enough with Artificers to comment on them.

bid
2019-07-04, 10:25 PM
Artificers
Compare to wizard, who start with 6 spells and add 2 per level.
You could start at half that, or 3 + 1 per level.
If it's too weak, they might "find" more spells to add to their spellbook.

Druids
Who else has known spells? Bards have known spells. With magical secrets, they end up with 28-30 known spells.
Land druids end up with 33 prepared spells, I'm not sure improving this is necessary.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-05, 02:31 AM
Bard has a full spells know progression you can use, opposed to the spells known of the sorcerer which are very scarce.