PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lifeline Homebrew (Celtic's Mad Ravings, PF, Class)

Celticbear
2019-07-05, 12:59 AM
Hi guys, I'm in the beginnings of creating a homebrew setting for pathfinder in a very low magic world wherein the only way for anyone to do anything magical, they must make deals with spirits in exchange for favors or augmentations. So far, I have constructed one class, but I plan to make more as the idea begins to unfold. This class is meant to replace all classes that have any major spellcasting capability, leaving only barbarian, fighter, monk, rogue, cavalier, shifter, vigilante, brawler, and swashbuckler as other classes to choose from (please keep that in mind when you look at what I have).

Now, I am in no way an expert at homebrewing anything, this is the first kind of project I've ever set myself up with. Criticism is not only welcome, it is encouraged. If any of you have ideas on how to make this class more balanced in its setting or have ideas that you would like to add, please comment below. As a related side note, i am not entirely on board with all of the names for the Focuses, if you have better name suggestions shoot me those as well.

Without further adieu, I give you the Bound (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14AkRfqsjIwW7dXYDalLOhAxNy_OJYMV4_TUSxHjU-04/edit?usp=sharing).

Gallowglass
2019-07-05, 10:59 AM
I can't read what you have because I can't access google docs at work (a trying conundrum given the increased use of it on this board)

But even without reading it and just reading your post I have a suggestion.

If this "bound" class is supposed to replace all spell-casters leaving you with just a collection of mundane classes, why not just get rid of "spell casting" as a class entirely.

Keep all the mundane classes, then introduce the "binding" mechanic as an alternate system, like magic items. Any character can invest in it by making a pact with a spirit to get access to a spell or an enhancement or however you are coloring it. I assume there is a potential downside (the spirit demands something in return, that is more costly the more powerful it gets) So let that balance it.

Perhaps its purely financial (buy it) or time-consuming (downtime or in game time) or maybe they have to spend some other class feature (a feat? skill points? hit points? give up your level 4 attribute boost for a bind?) Maybe the "bound" is like a second class in addition to their primary class. Maybe you represent the bound as a new feature (you get one "bound" rank each level and you can spend bound ranks on spells. Or you can take your bound ranks and spend them for mundane features like extra feats, extra hit points, extra class skills, etc. if you don't want magic.

Some players may skip it entirely. Some get a few binds to complement their builds, some go hog-wild and end up more spell-caster than mundane but at a sizable cost.

But this way the player doesn't have to be a "bound" just to get the spell-casting and play with your new mechanic

Ethereal Gears
2019-07-05, 11:23 AM
I think this looks fine as a "caster" class for a low-fantasy setting. I think this would be reasonably competitive with the "mundane" classes, though possibly the power level is a little low. I'm guessing there are setting reasons for only having three "elements" to bind to, but access to something like Fire (maybe even in the form of, like, lightning, via a Wind spirit) for limited blasting would probably boost the class's power level a bit.

Other than that, I like the flavor and the execution overall, though the list of foci is a little brief. Over 20 levels, you might want to provide the bound with a few more options, but that's obviously something that can just be added on as needed, and if your players don't feel like the options are too limited, it needn't even be a problem.

I do have some question about binding. So you can bind yourself to spirits for Faith number of rounds each day, and it's activated as a move action and then lasts 2 rounds, is that correct? After that, you just spend an additional move action to bind again, and you can keep doing that until you run out of daily binding rounds? Can you bind to multiple spirits at once? Also, the Expanded Binding focus seems pretty weak, unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. Is all it does simply increase the duration of your bindings, before you need to spend an action to bind again? It doesn't actually grant you additional daily binding rounds? If that's the case, I definitely think it should, to be worth taking.

Also, the misfortune points system is arguably the only thing I really dislike. It has a metagame-y aspect that's personally not my cup of tea, though obviously, if you and your players are fine with that, that's okay. It does, however, also seem excessively punitive. I feel like incurring 1 misfortune point per binding is plenty. You don't need to punish bound characters with 1 point for every round of binding. Already, aside from the utility of divination, this class is not very powerful, and doesn't need such a severe drawback to balance it out, in my view.

Celticbear
2019-07-05, 12:35 PM
I can't read what you have because I can't access google docs at work (a trying conundrum given the increased use of it on this board)

But even without reading it and just reading your post I have a suggestion.

If this "bound" class is supposed to replace all spell-casters leaving you with just a collection of mundane classes, why not just get rid of "spell casting" as a class entirely.

Keep all the mundane classes, then introduce the "binding" mechanic as an alternate system, like magic items. Any character can invest in it by making a pact with a spirit to get access to a spell or an enhancement or however you are coloring it. I assume there is a potential downside (the spirit demands something in return, that is more costly the more powerful it gets) So let that balance it.

Perhaps its purely financial (buy it) or time-consuming (downtime or in game time) or maybe they have to spend some other class feature (a feat? skill points? hit points? give up your level 4 attribute boost for a bind?) Maybe the "bound" is like a second class in addition to their primary class. Maybe you represent the bound as a new feature (you get one "bound" rank each level and you can spend bound ranks on spells. Or you can take your bound ranks and spend them for mundane features like extra feats, extra hit points, extra class skills, etc. if you don't want magic.

Some players may skip it entirely. Some get a few binds to complement their builds, some go hog-wild and end up more spell-caster than mundane but at a sizable cost.

But this way the player doesn't have to be a "bound" just to get the spell-casting and play with your new mechanic

You do make a good point, maybe there could be a feat like Amateur Swashbuckler/Gunslinger that gives part of the binding class feature to other classes. If so, does this look like it would fit the bill?

Prerequisites: Charisma 12, cannot be a member of the "Bound" class
Even without formal training, the spirits still come when you call them. When you take this feat, choose either Earth, Wind, or Sky. You may bind to that spirit as with the Binding Class feature, gaining a number of Faith points equal to your charisma modifier. If you gain a level in the Bound class, you lose this feat and instead gain a Focus you are eligible for.

I think this looks fine as a "caster" class for a low-fantasy setting. I think this would be reasonably competitive with the "mundane" classes, though possibly the power level is a little low. I'm guessing there are setting reasons for only having three "elements" to bind to, but access to something like Fire (maybe even in the form of, like, lightning, via a Wind spirit) for limited blasting would probably boost the class's power level a bit.

Other than that, I like the flavor and the execution overall, though the list of foci is a little brief. Over 20 levels, you might want to provide the bound with a few more options, but that's obviously something that can just be added on as needed, and if your players don't feel like the options are too limited, it needn't even be a problem.

I do have some question about binding. So you can bind yourself to spirits for Faith number of rounds each day, and it's activated as a move action and then lasts 2 rounds, is that correct? After that, you just spend an additional move action to bind again, and you can keep doing that until you run out of daily binding rounds? Can you bind to multiple spirits at once? Also, the Expanded Binding focus seems pretty weak, unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. Is all it does simply increase the duration of your bindings, before you need to spend an action to bind again? It doesn't actually grant you additional daily binding rounds? If that's the case, I definitely think it should, to be worth taking.

Also, the misfortune points system is arguably the only thing I really dislike. It has a metagame-y aspect that's personally not my cup of tea, though obviously, if you and your players are fine with that, that's okay. It does, however, also seem excessively punitive. I feel like incurring 1 misfortune point per binding is plenty. You don't need to punish bound characters with 1 point for every round of binding. Already, aside from the utility of divination, this class is not very powerful, and doesn't need such a severe drawback to balance it out, in my view.

Your guess on how binding works is correct, but I wanted it so that you cannot gain the benefits of binding to two spirits at once. I've clarified this in the rules now. As for Expanded Binding, it's meant to slightly mitigate how much misfortune you take whenever you bind, though you're right in the fact that it is a little underpowered. I've added a small bonus to it when you take it twice, allowing the spells cast while binding to a spirit of sky to have full durations instead of being limited.

As for misfortune, I absolutely agree with you. A second glance at it, and the drawback is a little much. I've added the stipulation to Misfortune points where you only gain them per point of faith spent.

Thank you both for commenting, you've already been a huge help!

Ethereal Gears
2019-07-05, 05:11 PM
The only other thing I would say is that I really think you should consider somehow expanding the number of binding rounds per day a Bound gets, or give them some sort of at-will abilities. I understand the limitations are to go along with the low fantasy feel of the setting, but once these guys run out of binding rounds, they're just an expert, no class features. Like, that's going to either make adventuring days really short (remember in standard PF casters don't tend to run out of spells at all, except at the lowest levels, and even then there's cantrips), or it's going to make playing one of these guys really miserable as you're gonna spend half the adventuring day basically unable to contribute anything to the party.

I mean, depending on the composition and attitudes of your group, this might not be a problem, but I know I would never choose to play one of these guys when far more powerful magical options exist for both monks, barbarians and vigilantes. Like, even at 5th level, when a barbarian can rage for 12 + Con rounds per day, these guys are lucky to have 9 rounds of daily binding, and that's if they have a base Cha of 20 with a +2 headband.