PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Heist Shopping List

Wildarm
2019-07-05, 01:21 PM
So, we've finished our Waterdeep Dragon Heist campaign and are now level 5.

We managed to recover the gold for the city and got a 10% finders fee as well as our debts for the tavern cleared

The question is what to do with the money. We'll likely pick up the best armor for everyone as well as some consumable potions/scrolls. I don't know if my DM will allow us to buy magic items(that is my hope) but I was wondering if folks had any suggestions for expensive mundane items worth picking up. Mainly looking for adventuring gear that would be handy but normally not affordable at early Tier 2 play. Perhaps stuff outside the PHB.

solidork
2019-07-05, 02:06 PM
I'm planning on picking up a Spyglass soon on my Level 14 Fighter/Warlock since we end up doing a lot of flying around in the countryside and we're always wondering stuff like "What's that thing way over there?". It's also my character's job to be the guy who notices things as well.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-06, 12:22 AM
As far as mundane items go, there isn't a lot to do with cash once you've equipped your strong fellas with Plate Armor and a shiny new greatsword. You could always stock up on as many healing potions as your DM allows you to find but even then the amount you've got now is enough to buy a Galley, pay for a skilled crew and start up some sort of nautical business on top of your adventuring/tavern ownership.

When it came time for us to start spending that money, our DM was pretty up front that he wanted a high magic campaign and that we'd be able to use the buying magical items rules found in Xanathars. We rolled well on the checks we made and found a trustworthy buyer so we got everyone +1 weapons and a rare magic item for each. We still have savings from then and we're 15th level now.

Tawmis
2019-07-06, 12:42 AM
So, we've finished our Waterdeep Dragon Heist campaign and are now level 5.

We managed to recover the gold for the city and got a 10% finders fee as well as our debts for the tavern cleared

The question is what to do with the money. We'll likely pick up the best armor for everyone as well as some consumable potions/scrolls. I don't know if my DM will allow us to buy magic items(that is my hope) but I was wondering if folks had any suggestions for expensive mundane items worth picking up. Mainly looking for adventuring gear that would be handy but normally not affordable at early Tier 2 play. Perhaps stuff outside the PHB.

Well, one thing you can always stock up on is horses - those are not cheap to come by, if you go for the War Horse type thing.
And if need be - additional horses (or mules) to pull a wagon of equipment you could bring along. (Though, often not a good idea to be honest - for example if you need to make a quick escape into the forest - that pulled wagon is probably not going to do well for hiding) :)

Fable Wright
2019-07-06, 01:03 AM
Potions
Scrolls
War-Elephants
Horses
Barding for war-elephants and horses
Pay for a trip to Chult
Acquire 1+ Triceratops from said trip to Chult
Acquire rare spell components
Rituals for the person with Wizard rituals
Hirelings (never underestimate the utility of one guy whose job it is to cast Speak With Animals and Goodberries)
Build a spy network
Build a stronghold
Start a business
Set up and publicize an elaborate contest by which everyone who enters bids a magic item, and the winner claims 80% of all the items entered—an enormous magical bounty for whoever wins it. Play it fair; you're the house and keep the other 20% of prizes
Fund security for this contest and fund it well; you don't want people baying for your blood afterwards
Schmooze up to and/or marry into a Waterdavian noble family