PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lizardfolk Druid Questions/Help

Slider
2019-07-05, 01:36 PM
Hey all, I'm rolling up the above-mentioned character for a PF 1 campaign, already worked out a cool backstory for him with the DM's approval (and judging from the gleam in his eye, he's got Plans for it <gulp>)

So, pretty much this guy is a complete savage, from a jungle/swamp area roughly the size of the Everglades, and has never left it. Had fun in the session 0 because I didn't have any languages in common with the rest of the players, so lots of pidgin speak and gesticulating and pointing at things, lol. Was a blast and everyone got into it.

But, I am looking for some background traits for him and am just drawing a blank. Most aren't appropriate for him at all, or don't feel right thematically for what I am going for. Anyone have any suggestions about some decent ones that might fit?

The other thing I am looking for help with is animal shapes that he would be more inclined to use. I mean monkey, alligator, tropical birds and maybe a raptor would all fit, but what about for magical beast shapes, or other appropriately themed critters that he can turn into to better eat his enemies? Turns out Elves are quite tasty, who knew? 👍

Anyhow, any thoughts or ideas you all would be willing to share would be appreciated, thanks. 🤔

Palanan
2019-07-05, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
The other thing I am looking for help with is animal shapes that he would be more inclined to use.

Snapping turtle sounds ideal for lower levels. Giant water moccasin also has potential.

As for magical creatures, the water leaper (Bestiary 5) is thematic, based in real folklore, and has a nasty lingering sting. You might also consider the voonith (Bestiary 3), which has a howl that freezes the blood, as well as solid Stealth and Swim bonuses.

For a larger and more overtly aggressive form, you might try the hodak (also Bestiary 3), which I can report from personal experience is not to be trifled with. Definitely brings a "savage scaly swamp monster" vibe.

Turns out Elves are quite tasty, who knew?

All the cool tribes already knew this. :smalltongue:

Andry
2019-07-05, 04:40 PM
What kind of build are you going for? That will help with what kind of traits we would suggest.

Slider
2019-07-05, 05:47 PM
Well, as far as build goes, so far I am going with an all natural weapon build, I.e. just using his bite and claws if forced into melee, or Wild Shape. Mostly going to be going for spells for buffing and healing other party members, or his pet raptor.

Not many backgrounds out there for the more savage races, as they are not as prevalent as the core races, and even some backgrounds that would be appropriate for a barbarian say, don't really fit what I am looking for.

Basically, this guy has never even seen any races other than the neighboring jungle trolls, let alone been to a town or even a village other than one populated by his own race. Well, at least until the elves showed up for a hunt, and wiped out his tribe, and then stayed for dinner. :amused: So yeah, there is the base point that I am building from.

Slider
2019-07-05, 05:52 PM
Snapping turtle sounds ideal for lower levels. Giant water moccasin also has potential.

As for magical creatures, the water leaper (Bestiary 5) is thematic, based in real folklore, and has a nasty lingering sting. You might also consider the voonith (Bestiary 3), which has a howl that freezes the blood, as well as solid Stealth and Swim bonuses.

For a larger and more overtly aggressive form, you might try the hodak (also Bestiary 3), which I can report from personal experience is not to be trifled with. Definitely brings a "savage scaly swamp monster" vibe.

All the cool tribes already knew this. :smalltongue:

These are great, thank you! Especially like the water leaper, it even has a medium sized form that adds two claw attacks, :smallsmile:... I'll take that!

Yes well, he's from DEEP in the swamps, and has never even seen one before. Did like, will try again! Two-thumbs up!! :tongue:

Kris Moonhand
2019-07-05, 06:59 PM
Hippo (and behemoth hippo) is a pretty rad beast shape. Hippos don't **** around.

Andry
2019-07-05, 07:14 PM
Considering your character is a backwoods type.

Jungle fighter (just ask your dm to switch it to apply for the swamp instead) . -Benefit: Your speed may not be reduced to less than 10 feet by difficult terrain in jungles (meaning you may take a 5-foot step in difficult terrain and not provoke an attack of opportunity).

Guerrilla Tactics: You gain a +2 trait bonus on Stealth checks and Initiative checks in forests

Ambush Training: Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on initiative checks and a +1 trait bonus on weapon damage rolls during any surprise round in which you act.

Volatile Conduit:
You discovered a secret that enhances the energy of some spells.
Benefit: Once per day as a free action, when you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage, you can enhance that spell with volatile energy. When you do, it deals 1d4 points of extra damage of the same energy type.

Desperate Resolve
You are adept at casting spells even in the most precarious situations.
Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on concentration checks. This trait bonus increases to + 4 when you are grappled, pinned, in violent weather, or entangled.

Palanan
2019-07-05, 07:49 PM
Yes well, he's from DEEP in the swamps….

Can you describe the habitat he’s from in more detail? Is it like the Everglades, or tropical Africa, or some other real-world ecoregion?

Well, as far as build goes, so far I am going with an all natural weapon build, I.e. just using his bite and claws if forced into melee….

What level are you starting at, and what feats do you have to support this approach?

Slider
2019-07-05, 09:42 PM
Can you describe the habitat he’s from in more detail? Is it like the Everglades, or tropical Africa, or some other real-world ecoregion?

The area, while roughly the size of the everglades, is tropical and borders the ocean on one side, so mostly salt fens like swamp, lots of brackish water, etc. The other three sides are all dense, mostly unexplored jungle inhabited by jungle trolls that have taken over some really old ruins no one there knows about, the pirates I mean. There is a pirate/smuggler settlement on the ocean, but other than that, no civilized folk are in the area, and the pirates are not interested in whatever else might be around. They fortified the small port, and left it alone after that.

What level are you starting at, and what feats do you have to support this approach?

Starting level is 16th, so pretty high. So far I've taken multi-attack, improved natural attack for bite and claws, improved initiative and a few metamagic feats to round it out. Combat casting and natural spell so I can use spells in Wildshape, think that's about it. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know what would be some good ones.

Palanan
2019-07-06, 01:07 PM
The area, while roughly the size of the everglades, is tropical and borders the ocean on one side, so mostly salt fens like swamp, lots of brackish water, etc.

If you have a tropical region with a seacoast, especially if it's not rocky, then you're likely to have extensive mangrove forests in a wide ribbon between ocean and land. The Sundarbans is a good example. Salt fens tend to occur in temperate regions; I've not heard of them in tropical areas.

As for the jungle, you might look at Mbeli Bai for an example of prime lizardfolk habitat. This might give you some ideas in terms of fleshing out your background.