PDA

View Full Version : The Mini Campaign

username1
2019-07-05, 02:05 PM
Recently I have been looking into starting a few other dnd groups besides my main group. Now one thing I have always found restricting about starting alternate groups is how long a campaign takes. This has led to me running only one-shots for groups like these. However I have been thinking more about this problem and one solution I see is a mini campaign. This would be a game that lasts 4-8 sessions but still has a story arc. I'm thinking something along the lines of the starter kit adventure. I think this would be another unique style of gameplay, and hope to even post the campaigns I create for others to use. What do you guys think of this idea? Has anyone done something similar, and if so any tips?

Scripten
2019-07-05, 02:40 PM
I run mini-campaigns fairly frequently. One of the problems I would hit with my group is that we would do a "full" campaign and, by the time everything finished up, it felt so distant from the beginning that the whole campaign seemed like a collection of mini-campaigns anyway. So there's definitely benefit to running shorter arcs.

Ventruenox
2019-07-05, 03:48 PM
There is certainly a place for the mini campaign. As a breather between long epics; trial runs of new players; ways to provide the "forever DM" a break; or even to have the "And now for something completely different". Some of the third party content creators can truly shine if you don't want to write your own. Dralnu put together a free level 1-5 Innistrad adventure in five acts and shared it with us here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?425679-Army-of-the-Damned-Free-lvl-1-5-adventure-set-in-Magic-the-Gathering-s-Innistrad) (Having run that one myself successfully, I may be just a bit biased.)