PDA

View Full Version : runestaff for divine caster

ayvango
2019-07-05, 04:07 PM
Is it possible for a divine caster somehow make magic item with similar effect to runestaffs?

Thurbane
2019-07-05, 05:06 PM
Domain Staffs, Complete Champion. Similar concept, but they grant all the spells, 1 through 9, for a particular domain.

Biggus
2019-07-05, 08:03 PM
Domain Staffs, Complete Champion. Similar concept, but they grant all the spells, 1 through 9, for a particular domain.

Nice, these had passed me by somehow. I'd be interested to know how you'd interpret the line "By expending a prepared divine spell or divine spell slot, the wielder can "cast" a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaffs list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any)." (p.143, sidebar)

Does this mean a Cleric can use all spells on all domain staffs, other than presumably those of alignments opposite to their own?

Does it mean that a non-Cleric who has levels in a prestige class which grants any domain of your choice (such as Contemplative) can use all spells on all domain staffs?

Jack_Simth
2019-07-05, 11:05 PM
Nice, these had passed me by somehow. I'd be interested to know how you'd interpret the line "By expending a prepared divine spell or divine spell slot, the wielder can "cast" a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaffs list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any)." (p.143, sidebar)

Does this mean a Cleric can use all spells on all domain staffs, other than presumably those of alignments opposite to their own?

Does it mean that a non-Cleric who has levels in a prestige class which grants any domain of your choice (such as Contemplative) can use all spells on all domain staffs?

It means a Cleric with the Air domain can use a Domain staff (Air) to spontaneously convert a 8th level spell slot (prepared as, say, Fire Storm) to Whirlwind (it's an 8th level spell on the Air domain, and the cleric has that domain). As could a Druid (it's on the Druid list, too). Regardless of domains, any cleric or druid could use the same staff to convert a 4th level prepared spell to Air Walk (it's a Cleric-4, Druid-4 spell). Any divine caster that can make the DC 20 UMD check could also do so, of course, via activating the item as though it were on their class list.

Cruiser1
2019-07-05, 11:45 PM
Yes. Given the core Cleric rule that "A cleric can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity's", that effectively means alignment opposed spells aren't on the Cleric's spell list, and therefore the Cleric can't cast them, not even with a Runestaff.

Yes, provided that those domain spells are actually cast as divine spells. For example, a Sor/Wiz taking Arcane Disciple to access a domain couldn't use a Domain Staff, since that feat adds spells to the arcane class list (even though Wis is used to cast the spell, and the spell can only be cast once per day).

Biggus
2019-07-06, 09:05 AM

It means a Cleric with the Air domain can use a Domain staff (Air)

Yes.

This is the problem with interpretation I was having. Does "as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's divine class spell list (including his domain lists, if any)" mean

1) you have to have selected the domain yourself

2) it has to be one which is available to you, based on the deity/ pantheon/ etc you worship

3) if your class has access to domains, you can use any domain staff, except ones which are specifically excluded on alignment or similar grounds?

My feeling is that the answer is 3), because the wording is "the wielder's divine class spell list" and makes no mention of deities or the domains you have access to personally, but I can see it could be interpreted other ways.

Thurbane
2019-07-06, 04:43 PM
From my reading, the usage of Runestaffs in regards to spell access is basically the same as a spell trigger item: the spells must appear on your class list, and if it's a domain only spell for your class, you must have selected that domain.

Characters like Favored Souls would only be able to use Runestaff spells that appear on the general Cleric list, unless they have a domain through a PrC or other method.

Using Domain Draught (MIC p.156) or the Substitute Domain spell (CC p.128) may allow greater flexibility in domain access for using Runestaffs.