PDA

View Full Version : Mitigating bad undead HP?

StevenC21
2019-07-05, 05:10 PM
Basically, I'm trying to stat out a skeletal dragon, who will serve as the BBEG for an adventure arc. Only problem is, undead don't have a CON score, so they have awful HP.

I am looking for either a way to add X HP/per HD, a way to give them a CON score (ideal because they then also get the boost to fortitude saves), or give them a flat increase to HP.

Cheers!

ViperMagnum357
2019-07-05, 05:21 PM
Well, as a BBEG, presumably it would be Awakened and therefore qualifies for feats, so you could just take Improved Toughness then Toughness a bunch of times. You can have it created within a Desecrate effect centered on an Evil Shrine for +2 HP per HD. And you can also increase its resilience in other ways that compliment an HP buff, such as applying the Evolved Undead template.

Thurbane
2019-07-05, 05:28 PM
There's also the Corpsecrafter feat in LM, depending on who made it. Give +2 HP per HD, as well as +4 Str.

This stacks with creating inside a Desecrate effect.

Note: if it has feats, Toughness can be taken multiple times to stack, but Improved Toughness only works once. It may qualify for Epic Toughness, which also stacks multiple times.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-05, 05:28 PM
Well, as a BBEG, presumably it would be Awakened and therefore qualifies for feats, so you could just take Improved Toughness a bunch of times.

Improved toughness doesn't work that way.

MisterKaws
2019-07-05, 05:29 PM
Evil Shrine Desecrate, Corpsecrafter, and some other things described in Libris Mortis increase HP. Maybe Spellstitch it as well just for good measure.

ViperMagnum357
2019-07-05, 05:47 PM
Improved toughness doesn't work that way.

Whoops, fixed. You would think I would have read that thoroughly more than once after all these years. :smallredface:

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-05, 07:00 PM
You could do what pathfinder does and give them their charisma modifier to the HD as if it were constitution.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-05, 10:40 PM
Summing things up:
Created in a Desecrated Area with a Shrine to an evil deity: +2 HP/HD.
Created by a Necromancer with Corpsecrafter: +2 HP/HD.
Improved Toughness: +1 HP/HD.

Not precisely on the list of things that boost hit points, but the Minor Shapeshift reserve feat (Complete Mage) has the option of granting temp HP = level as a swift action (it has other options, but that one is usually viewed as the best choice). It doesn't stack with itself, but as a reserve feat, it's usable at-will without provoking and without components. Temp HP go away first, so this can greatly increase longevity for a BBEG if the party attacks HP.

Fill the encounter area with Black Sand (a hazard in Sandstorm), and the BBEG ges 1d4 HP healed per round, too (bonus: Hurts the living).

Use them all, and you've got (HD)d12+5*(HD), +(HD) temp HP as a swift action each round, +1d4 actual healing each round, on your 3.5 undead BBEG.

Is that sufficient mitigation of the standard undead HP weakness?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-05, 10:57 PM
Evil Shrine Desecrate, Corpsecrafter, and some other things described in Libris Mortis increase HP. Maybe Spellstitch it as well just for good measure.Add to that a fantastic Int score and Faerie Mysteries Initiate for +Int to HP every level.

MisterKaws
2019-07-05, 11:03 PM
Add to that a fantastic Int score and Faerie Mysteries Initiate for +Int to HP every level.

May you perhaps enlighten me in how is a Dracolich going to engage in an Elf-specific mating ritual?

Do Dragons have Baculums? Guess I'm gonna have to check that Draconomicon section.

Edit: According to illustrations they do. Pretty small, though, for their size. Guess that's why they like Polymorphing so much.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-05, 11:09 PM
May you perhaps enlighten me in how is a Dracolich going to engage in an Elf-specific mating ritual?

Do Dragons have Baculums? Guess I'm gonna have to check that Draconomicon section.

Polymorph solves SO MANY PROBLEMS.

Also: That issue of Dragon Magazine has a clause about getting regional feats via Knowledge(Local), if I recall correctly.

Karl Aegis
2019-07-05, 11:24 PM
A Dracolich cannot be targeted by a Polymorph spell because they aren't a willing living creature.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-06, 01:36 AM
Polymorph solves SO MANY PROBLEMS.

Also: That issue of Dragon Magazine has a clause about getting regional feats via Knowledge(Local), if I recall correctly.

Yes it does, if it is the same one with troll blooded.

DarkSoul
2019-07-06, 06:37 AM
Getting regional feats with knowledge (local) was a 3.0 rule that was changed in 3.5.

I second giving the undead Unholy Toughness, which uses charisma for bonus hp. I personally added that it applies to everything a con modifier would for a living creature, such as fort saves.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-06, 09:00 AM
Getting regional feats with knowledge (local) was a 3.0 rule that was changed in 3.5.

I second giving the undead Unholy Toughness, which uses charisma for bonus hp. I personally added that it applies to everything a con modifier would for a living creature, such as fort saves.

The dragon mag reintroduced it. So if you are already using the mag for Faerie Mysteries Initiate, you may as well go ahead and use the rule again.

Hmm... does that open up the regional feat that makes you immune to fatigue, to combo with troll blooded? Maybe I should look into that.

The Viscount
2019-07-06, 09:01 AM
If you aren't already using the Skeletal Dragon template from Draconomicon, it's a straight increase over normal Skeleton template. No HD cap, keep Ex special attacks, and gain 1 hp per HD.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-06, 09:30 AM
Trade the dragon's spellcasting for equivalent psion manifesting (or use a gem dragon). Or have a psion that used body-swap tricks to trade for a dragon (or PAO'd himself), then went dracolich. Then use the psicrystal + share pain + vigor trick for tons of temp HP.

Of course, that would also allow Faerie Mysteries Initiate if the dragon started as an elf.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-06, 10:35 AM
A Dracolich cannot be targeted by a Polymorph spell because they aren't a willing living creature.

Polymorph Any Object, then. Only needs to be done once, for a short period of time. Could hire a casting, if the dragon can't do it natively.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-06, 11:41 AM
Polymorph Any Object, then. Only needs to be done once, for a short period of time. Could hire a casting, if the dragon can't do it natively.Metamorphosis is fine, however. Also, liches can polymorph themselves, but there's no provision for dracoliches for this allowance, oddly enough.