PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars [SWSE] How to compensate Mid Level PCs?

Pleh
2019-07-05, 05:46 PM
Some background on my game:

I'm the GM.
Game is a semi-open world deal based on an idea I had after listening to stories based in the Forgotten Realm. Basically, I learned that the FR setting canonically says that cities realize that adventurers often become too powerful for any number of normal city guards to protect them from if they ever go rogue, so the city often hires other adventurers to take down rogue adventurers who need to be brought to justice.
Enter Star Wars. The Players decided to play a group of Gray Force Users (some with Jedi background, others without) operating as mercenaries to take down threats too dangerous for normal folks (I picture them like a 3 man party full of Kyle Katarns).
We've rebooted SWSE too many times and never got to play later levels. We're starting this campaign at level 8 as basically, "prestige class level 1" to set the tone.
It didn't make much sense to me for level 8 mercenaries to be stuck bumming a ride off of someone else. It seems like giving them a starship was the way to go so we didn't have to spend time in game acquiring an adequate vessel. They're starting the game with a lightly modified YT200 freighter (I didn't want to use up all their Upgrade Slots as they might want to do that themselves later) and I stocked the ship with a few swoop bikes (in case they need a bit more stealth/mobility than a freighter) and some relatively inexpensive survival/adventure equipment (comlinks, rations, all temp cloaks, glow rods, etc) so they can choose how much to carry on any given trip without having to expend their level 1 starting credits on highly situational gear. Their starting credits were to go towards their personal gear that they intended to be primary character assets (like weapons).
The intended goal is that each session will focus on tracking and confronting some dangerous figure (which means that GM Prep time will look a lot like me making a new batch of Heroic NPCs every week and slightly less populating maps with stock NPCs).
Right now, they're on a special campaign starter quest that is designed more to forge the PCs into a bonded party, so they're not officially bounty hunting yet.

But I can't shake this feeling in my gut that money doesn't really matter all that much in SWSE. In general, you try to level yourself out of needing any type of Armor, you tend to use the same weapon over the course of an entire campaign (unless you are REALLY focused on optimizing that weapon), and I've already given them a starship.

Do you guys feel like the rules for Bounty Hunting Rewards (in Scum and Villainy, for example) really inspire you or your players to take on the plot hook? At what point does the money not really matter anymore?

Rynjin
2019-07-05, 05:48 PM
I remember grenades and stuff being really good in SWSE. Plus they always need fuel for their starship, neato extras to add to their armor (mod slots for jetpacks and the like), and things like that.

Sparx MacGyver
2019-07-05, 08:55 PM
Unlike D&D where you are constantly upgrading you gear, getting the next enhancement needed to make you even better. SWSE, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to care about money. Certainly, you need it here and there, for grenades or missiles, or the occasional new gear, or gear upgrade, but by and large, players tend to collects vast sums of cash rather quickly. Assuming of course, that you give out money like D&D gm's do (and many of us did just this, coming over from D&D/PF).

One way to help this is to apply the "Firefly Effect" to the game. Basically, giving them just enough credits to keep flying, get some ammo, etc. Never enough to go and buy a full set of super awesome armor, or whatever. Sure, they can get it, but they have to save for a bit and give up a bunch of other stuff to finally acquire it.

Ships do require maintenance, and fuel, oil, space-transmission fluid, etc. Scum & Villainy give some prices on spaceports on pg 97 (starts a few pages up, but that's the tables for refueling and restocking)*. Likewise, Starships of the Galaxy gives a brief paragraph on pg 14.

Or you could apply a static number for basic maintenance, like 2,000 credits, and this would cover basic things like oil being topped off (not necessarily changed), some bulbs being replaced, etc.

*Using the either of the ways to account for fuel and food, but especially the one from S&V, means you will have to keep track of the days in transit. This doesn't have to be a bad thing. But it's something to keep in mind. The longer you go without refueling and restocking, the more expensive it will be.

Pleh
2019-07-06, 07:23 AM
I knew about the Starships of the Galaxy stuff, but when you earn several thousand credits per bounty, paying a few hundred credits to restock and refuel seemed insignificant.

Based on what I read in Scum and Villainy, bounties for targets that are the focus of the adventure should be [average party level] * 2000, which means they'll earn 16,000 credits each time they resolve an adventure if I use that rule.

Are the Scum and Villainy rules for refueling and restocking different than the paragraph in Starships?

Sparx MacGyver
2019-07-06, 06:09 PM
Not greatly. It does give a bit more benefits or hindrance, depending on the quality of fuel or food purchased, though fuel is listed as price/kg. In one of the books, maybe core, it's listed that a ship uses about 1 kg of a fuel a day. It also has repairs and security and a few other things that may be useful, and a section for shadowports as well.

Torpin
2019-07-07, 10:00 PM
"experimental" gear or ship parts are a really good reward, such as a shield that has 10 sr above what they currently have,a special payload of proton torpedoes or concussion missiles that do 1d10 or 2d10 more damage than standard, a blaster that does an extra point of damage, you can use one of the lightsaber crystals in jedi academy training manual, a jedi or sith holocron that has an ancient force technique