PDA

View Full Version : Question about alignment

HamsterKun
2019-07-05, 10:00 PM
Is it possible to have a creature with an alignment different from in the Monster Manual? Say for example, a Chaotic Neutral Red Dragon or a Neutral Good Djinn?

JackPhoenix
2019-07-05, 10:03 PM
Sure. Why wouldn't it be possible? MM lists alignment of a typical member of the species, individuals vary in behavior.

Millstone85
2019-07-06, 02:06 AM
The Monster Manual itself says so.
The alignment specified in a monster's stat block is the default. Feel free to depart from it and change a monster's alignment to suit the needs of your campaign. If you want a good-aligned green dragon or an evil storm giant, there's nothing stopping you.

Although it is not as easy for all creatures.
If an evil celestial is a rarity, a good fiend is almost inconceivable.

Tawmis
2019-07-06, 02:15 AM
Is it possible to have a creature with an alignment different from in the Monster Manual? Say for example, a Chaotic Neutral Red Dragon or a Neutral Good Djinn?

The others answered this... a prime example of this is Drizzt Do'Urden. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzt_Do%27Urden)

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-06, 02:25 AM
Yes, hence why all pc drow are CG instead of LE.

Millstone85
2019-07-06, 02:39 AM
Yes, hence why all pc drow are CG instead of LE.Yeah. :smallbiggrin:

Although the typical drow is NE, not LE, at least in this edition.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-06, 02:43 AM
Yeah. :smallbiggrin:

Although the typical drow is NE, not LE, at least in this edition.

close enough...

Chrizzt
2019-07-06, 02:48 AM
I thought drow were in general chaotic evil, only held together as a society by the religious laws of Lloth.

Anyhow: Straying too often from those stereotypical alignments certainly might change the flavor of the game. Good aligned red dragons, for example, certainly diffuse the rightly associated dread.

Tawmis
2019-07-06, 02:51 AM
I thought drow were in general chaotic evil, only held together as a society by the religious laws of Lloth.

Anyhow: Straying too often from those stereotypical alignments certainly might change the flavor of the game. Good aligned red dragons, for example, certainly diffuse the rightly associated dread.

Just gotta say I love the user name...
At first, I was thinking it was a nod to Drizzt...
Then I read your name aloud in my head, "Crits It."

Well played.

Chrizzt
2019-07-06, 03:02 AM
Just gotta say I love the user name...
At first, I was thinking it was a nod to Drizzt...
Then I read your name aloud in my head, "Crits It."

Well played.

I think the praise really goes to you. It actually was meant as a nod to Drizzt (Chris and Drizzt -> I was quite fond of the original books, back then). The subtext you pointed out never occured to me. Thank you very much for this! :smallbiggrin: