PDA

View Full Version : Light Mage NPC

PraxisVetli
2019-07-06, 03:18 AM
Hello playgrounders!
I'm attempting to build a Light-based NPC. They would serve as the mages to an organization, one primarily based around Elemental Fire (I already have Fire and Ash covered).
I don't know much about Divine casting (these seems more Divine than Arcane but either is fine), but assume most cheese is appropriate.
Current ideas are taking Sha'ir into Skypledged, but that honestly seems complicated for a creature the players might fight once or twice then move on.
Ideal CR would be 9-12, and I'm not opposed to gestalting RHD to allow more class level space.
All 3.5 and Pathfinder are allowed, with Pow and PoW Expanded as well. We have a lot of houserules, so if something almost works, feel free to bring it up, such as a template/race combo that's great but not compatible, it might still fly.

pabelfly
2019-07-06, 04:24 AM
Want to give more details about the organization? I have an idea or two and want to make sure the crunch supports the fluff.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-06, 04:55 AM
The organization, referred to as the Brass Legion, occupies the very center of Elemental Fire. Their outpost surround the Origin of Flame, the source of all heat and fire across the multiverse.
They worship it, performing upon themselves the Rite of Burning, where their souls and bodies are hardened and strengthened (Half Brass Golem) in order to protect and guard it.
Do you need the other denizensc builds/races?

redking
2019-07-06, 05:38 AM
How about fire domain wizards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard)?

pabelfly
2019-07-06, 05:42 AM
The organization, referred to as the Brass Legion, occupies the very center of Elemental Fire. Their outpost surround the Origin of Flame, the source of all heat and fire across the multiverse.
They worship it, performing upon themselves the Rite of Burning, where their souls and bodies are hardened and strengthened (Half Brass Golem) in order to protect and guard it.
Do you need the other denizensc builds/races?

How about a bunch of Paladins with Sword of the Arcane Order feat? Basically makes them Paladins with all the resulting fluff like oaths and duty and the like, but they're using wizard spells instead.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-06, 07:02 AM
How about a bunch of Paladins with Sword of the Arcane Order feat? Basically makes them Paladins with all the resulting fluff like oaths and duty and the like, but they're using wizard spells instead.

Won't that only give them 4th level spells though?
I need something much more powerful in order to challenge the party.
For example, Legionnaires, the standard enemy, are Half-Brass Golem Boneclaws Advanced to 10HD, gestalted with levels in Warlock, Monk, and DSP's Mystic, with Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike, hitting for 9d6+21,4/round.
The party, at level 7, fought 6 of these.
(Again, some templates don't work, I know)

I like the idea of cranked Paladins, but I don't think it'll work well enough.
If I do Cloistered Cleric into Prestige Paladin, then take Sword of the Arcane Order, would that give me full Cleric and Wizard?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-07-06, 07:53 AM
Illumians in Races of Destiny can take the feat Bright Sigil, which produces a Daylight effect as a standard action for as long as they concentrate on it. This is usable at will.

If you go with divine spellcasting, Morninglord of Lathander in PGtF is probably the closest thing to what you're looking for. That prestige class is fitting for any god of the sun who hates the undead, so it could be adapted to any setting.

Particle_Man
2019-07-06, 09:37 AM
I think the book of exalted deeds has a feat where you literally glow with an aura that hurts undead. If the order of light can be super squeaky clean good alignment that feat and other stuff in the book might be useful.

Palanan
2019-07-06, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by PraxisVetli
For example, Legionnaires, the standard enemy, are Half-Brass Golem Boneclaws Advanced to 10HD….

Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou
…Morninglord of Lathander in PGtF is probably the closest thing to what you're looking for. That prestige class is fitting for any god of the sun who hates the undead….

Originally Posted by Particle_Man
I think the book of exalted deeds has a feat where you literally glow with an aura that hurts undead.

Since the OP says the enemy is using boneclaws as their shock troops, anything targeting undead probably won’t be useful for this organization.

pabelfly
2019-07-06, 10:38 AM
Won't that only give them 4th level spells though?
I need something much more powerful in order to challenge the party.
For example, Legionnaires, the standard enemy, are Half-Brass Golem Boneclaws Advanced to 10HD, gestalted with levels in Warlock, Monk, and DSP's Mystic, with Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike, hitting for 9d6+21,4/round.
The party, at level 7, fought 6 of these.
(Again, some templates don't work, I know)

I like the idea of cranked Paladins, but I don't think it'll work well enough.
If I do Cloistered Cleric into Prestige Paladin, then take Sword of the Arcane Order, would that give me full Cleric and Wizard?

Prestige Paladin only advances spells every second level. I probably wouldn't go with it.

If you want to gestalt, why not a simple Cloistered Cleric 12/Paladin 12. Sixth-level Cleric spells, D10 hit dice, full BAB, good Fort and Will saves, and Charisma boosts your saves and Turn Undead uses. Have the paladin trade away its Paladin-related spells for two extra feats (I'd probably pick Extra Turning twice) and work out what sort of metamagic feats you want to be powering up with Divine Metamagic. Cloistered Cleric could give you two Devotion feats that you use Turn Undead uses to power - I'd consider Travel Devotion, Animal Devotion, and/or Destruction Devotion.

That more on the power level you're after?

PraxisVetli
2019-07-07, 06:17 AM
Illumians in Races of Destiny can take the feat Bright Sigil, which produces a Daylight effect as a standard action for as long as they concentrate on it. This is usable at will.

If you go with divine spellcasting, Morninglord of Lathander in PGtF is probably the closest thing to what you're looking for. That prestige class is fitting for any god of the sun who hates the undead, so it could be adapted to any setting.
The Illumian are a cool idea, but wouldn't the Bright Sigil stop them from concentrating on any other spells?
I had looked at MoL, but the heavy undead focus turned me away, as pointed out by Palanan.

Prestige Paladin only advances spells every second level. I probably wouldn't go with it.

If you want to gestalt, why not a simple Cloistered Cleric 12/Paladin 12. Sixth-level Cleric spells, D10 hit dice, full BAB, good Fort and Will saves, and Charisma boosts your saves and Turn Undead uses. Have the paladin trade away its Paladin-related spells for two extra feats (I'd probably pick Extra Turning twice) and work out what sort of metamagic feats you want to be powering up with Divine Metamagic. Cloistered Cleric could give you two Devotion feats that you use Turn Undead uses to power - I'd consider Travel Devotion, Animal Devotion, and/or Destruction Devotion.

That more on the power level you're after?

Yeah it might be. The full Cleric casting certainly helps, and the full BAB of Paladin is always nice.

I was hoping there would be some PrC I'd missed somewhere that would be thematically cool, but as noted they all hate undead more than anything, and that's not what I'm going for.
Are there any great just Fire classes out there? Then I could work a spell or two into being Persisted to give the 'Radiant' feel?
You ever notice how many Elemental PrC's base half their class features around being resistant/immune to that element? Because, of course, that's something no player ever thinks about before hand.
I looked at Elemental Archon/Savant/Warrior, and wasn't too impressed.
Firestorm Berserker was admittedly cool, but leaves the realm of 'caster,' same with Jade Phoenix Mage.
Black Flame Zealot, on top of just not seeming very good, isn't what I was looking for.

Is there a Metamagic that increases the light a fire spell gives?
I've found: Solar Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/solar-spell-metamagic), Flaring Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/flaring-spell-metamagic), and Eclipsed Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/eclipsed-spell-metamagic).
Eclipsed I'm not sure about, just threw it in there in case anyone else saw a combo I didn't. Solar Spell seems underwhelming, but Flaring, with its auto-dazzle seems useful. Admittedly, Dazzled isn't really the greatest condition to be dropping, but it's what I found. Consecrate Spell I think I might take. We're pretty loose around Alignment based classes/feats, so I don't need to worry about being LG.
What's better, Solar Spell, of Fiery+Blistering?

Sorry guys, I'm really out of my element (ba-dum tss) with this build.
I don't often do casters.

pabelfly
2019-07-07, 06:33 AM
The Illumian are a cool idea, but wouldn't the Bright Sigil stop them from concentrating on any other spells?
I had looked at MoL, but the heavy undead focus turned me away, as pointed out by Palanan.

Yeah it might be. The full Cleric casting certainly helps, and the full BAB of Paladin is always nice.
I was hppong there would be some PrC I'd missed somewhere that would be thematically cool, but as noted they all hate undead more than anything, and that's not what I'm going for.
Are there any great just Fire classes out there? Then I could work a spell or two into being Persisted to give the 'Radiant' feel?
Or a Metamagic that increases the light a fire spell gives?
Sorry guys, I'm really out of my element (ba-dum tss) with this build.
I don't often do casters.

Silver Pyromancer, then? Lawful good, focused on fire casting. I'd also consider the Fiery Burst and Energy Substitution feats.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-07, 07:10 AM
Silver Pyromancer, then? Lawful good, focused on fire casting. I'd also consider the Fiery Burst and Energy Substitution feats.

Oh ho ho, Nice!
I'd likely only go 2 levels in it, grabbing Sacred Flame and Pyromancer perks.
Sacred Flame is exactly what I was looking for in a metamagic, awesome. And Pyromancer means I don't need to worry about ditching caster levels too much, as long as I'm picky about my spells. Is there a Fire version of Snowcasting, or am I stuck doing Snowcasting+Energy Substitution?

What's the fastest way to 3rd level Arcane spells? Because then if I grab SP on one side, and put the rest towards RHD, then the other side I can go Cleric if I want.
Or honestly, just how complex is Sha'ir/Skypledged?
Because a Fire version of Skypledged really did seem fun and flavorful.
Sha'ir 5/Silver Pyro2/Skypledged 1 is only 8 levels.
Can I get Turn Undead in 2 levels without 1 dip in Cleric (just because won't get enough to be worth it)?
Then Sha'ir5 for 3rd level Arcane, X2 for Turn Undead, Silver Pyro for Pyromancer and Silver Flame, and Sky(Flame)Pledged for Divine Spellpool.
BUT
If I use Alternative Spell Source, do I still need Skypledged though?
I can just go Sha'ir into Sacred Pyro, that opens up 3-4 levels that I can put into..whatever, really. Any +1 spellcasting class. And I free up a feat.
Then it's just a matter of race, which with the option of Gestalting up to 10 RHD on the side, can be really anything, so long as it gives Ex flight.
Or just the Winged Template from Savage Species could work fine.
A quick glance at Fire subtype creatures, I like the Yuan-ti Ignan. Easily fluffed as Salamander children the Legion has kidnapped and raised. That adds some RP potential, if the party decides to go into Salamander territory. Though it's mental stats certainly are TRASH. 6 INT and 14 WIS hardly a sage make.
Otherwise, I can just do an actual Salamander, Flamebrother's fine, and give me Small size too
Thoughts?

Anthrowhale
2019-07-08, 10:09 PM
Sacred Exorcist is the standard way to pick up TU with full casting.

Thurbane
2019-07-08, 11:05 PM
Knight of the Raven gives TU, access to the Sun domain, and a "Light Focus" which enhances light-based spells.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 03:17 AM
Knight of the Raven gives TU, access to the Sun domain, and a "Light Focus" which enhances light-based spells.
Is there any way to add the [Light] descriptor to spells?

Alec the great
2019-07-09, 03:28 AM
Could try Skypledged or the Stormlord class and refluff them as fire and light, lightpledged? Flamelord? Also, Raptoran gets wings and can be made into a firebird race.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 03:54 AM
Could try Skypledged or the Stormlord class and refluff them as fire and light, lightpledged? Flamelord? Also, Raptoran gets wings and can be made into a firebird race.

Yes, I mentioned Skypledged in the OP.

Thurbane
2019-07-09, 04:14 AM
Is there any way to add the [Light] descriptor to spells?

A quick search didn't turn up anything, but in my searching I did find a couple more PrCs: Sunmaster (LEoF) and Eye of Horus-re (PGtF) which both have some sun/light themed abilities.

[edit] Found a home-brewed feat here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15656813&postcount=8).

Here's an altered version of the Umbral Spell feat found in Drow of the Underdark.

Radiant Spell [Metamagic]
You add the light descriptor to a spell you cast.
Benefit: You can alter a burst-, emanation-, or spread-shaped spell so that it gains the light descriptor. The altered spell automatically dispels any spells with the darkness descriptor of the spell's level or lower whose effects overlap or are within the altered spell's area.
For example, an radiant lightning bolt would dispel any ongoing darkness spell of 3rd level or lower in the area of the line. A radiant spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 04:20 AM
A quick search didn't turn up anything, but in my searching I did find a couple more PrCs: Sunmaster (LEoF) and Eye of Horus-re (PGtF) which both have some sun/light themed abilities.

[edit] Found a home-brewed feat here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15656813&postcount=8).

A tad underwhelming.
Thank you, though.
Why do all these classes give the +1d6 fire to attacks?
It's like they were either all written by the same person or 10 people all had the same idea.

The link won't work for some reason; it loads a blank page.

Alrighty then, let's look.

See now, excellent.
Now all those bumps to Light spells matter!
I LIKE IT.