PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Monsters akin to a "Harvest Spirit"

Kazyan
2019-07-06, 01:10 PM
One of my friends is looking for precedent in D&D for a "harvest spirit"/"harvest goddess" archetype that they can adjust to their needs. It's been a while since I did a deep dive through the monster manuals, and there are over a thousand monsters out there. Does anything jump to mind?

Zaq
2019-07-06, 03:17 PM
What does a harvest spirit do? What attributes make you look at something and say “yeah, that’s a harvest spirit”?

Thurbane
2019-07-06, 05:04 PM
Well, I imagine it would be a Fey of some kind: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=fey&tablesort=1

There's Nature Spirits (OA p.177) and Spirit of the Land (MM2 p.189)...

If you give us more info on what kind of theme or abilities you'd like the creature to have, it will help us find something for you.

Venger
2019-07-06, 07:18 PM
in addition to telling us what kind of special powers you want it to have, also tell us what level your party is so we can ensure it's an appropriate cr. verdant prince or famine spirit come to mind, but i don't know if they'll be too hard for your party.

Segev
2019-07-07, 11:57 PM
You could go with something as straight forward as a nymph or dryad.

Firebug
2019-07-08, 12:16 AM
Leshy? Red Cap? Scarecrow?

Edit: Well, Pathfinder monsters, I forget if they were in D&D.

Venger
2019-07-08, 12:48 AM
redcaps exist in 3.5 and are in the mm3. leshys don't, and while there's no monster specifically called scarecrow, it's trivial to recreate at a variety of crs from low (ragomofyn, animated object) to high (effigy, ragewalker) with some refluffing and an old hat

Karl Aegis
2019-07-08, 12:49 AM
The Beget Bogun spell makes a Bogun which you can tell to water your plants for you.

DrMotives
2019-07-08, 03:27 AM
The Beget Bogun spell makes a Bogun which you can tell to water your plants for you.

I love that in order to do anything with Beget Bogun, you also need to cast an 8th level spell (although it explicitly can be from a scroll). What's the point of the level 2 Beget Bogun spell at all? Just have the other 2 spells in crafting cost of a Bogun, and the let the item creation feat handle the rest. I don't think any other construct has its own unique spell that only serves as a crafting component.