PDA

View Full Version : Would you need a burrow speed to move in the sun?

unseenmage
2019-07-06, 01:35 PM
And would it do weird atom splitting stuff if you did?

I've half baked a plan to send Riverine Minor Servitors to the sun via wish-transport with the ultimate goal of building the solar habitats detailed in the Pathfinder solar system book.

It occurs to me though that even if I somehow mitigate the obscene gravity that the poor things would still be stuck in a super dense material, right?

Psyren
2019-07-06, 02:34 PM
Per Distant Worlds, you need flight to navigate the sun, otherwise you simply get pulled into the core and instantly disintegrated, needing Wish/Miracle/TR to bring you back. You also need fire immunity (no amount of resistance is enough). The official gravity in game terms is 28x Golarion.

One curious trait is that creatures native to the Plane of Fire get to ignore both the heat and the pressure; if you can get yourself to count as a fire plane native, have a way to fly and find a way to not need to breathe, you can swim through the sun "as easily as a marine animal in a terrestrial sea."

I can't comment on the Riverine bit as I believe that's unique to 3.5, so as with any ported material the GM has to do some converting.

unseenmage
2019-07-06, 03:07 PM
Per Distant Worlds, you need flight to navigate the sun, otherwise you simply get pulled into the core and instantly disintegrated, needing Wish/Miracle/TR to bring you back. You also need fire immunity (no amount of resistance is enough). The official gravity in game terms is 28x Golarion.

One curious trait is that creatures native to the Plane of Fire get to ignore both the heat and the pressure; if you can get yourself to count as a fire plane native, have a way to fly and find a way to not need to breathe, you can swim through the sun "as easily as a marine animal in a terrestrial sea."

I can't comment on the Riverine bit as I believe that's unique to 3.5, so as with any ported material the GM has to do some converting.
Just to clarify, it is only the idea of force bubble habitats that's being converted, and to 3.5 not the other way 'round.

I do appreciate the detailed response though, and I'd forgotten that one needed to fly through the PF sun.

Psyren
2019-07-06, 03:11 PM
Starfinder actually has habitats around the sun if you want ideas (called the Burning Archipelago.) Unfortunately, the secrets behind the habitat's creation were lost to the Gap, but the Church of Sarenrae established a pretty solid presence there.

Palanan
2019-07-06, 03:21 PM
The Pathfinder sun is evidently very different than our own.

Our sun has a pressure of 250 billion atmospheres at its core, with a temperature of about 15 million Kelvins. It’s nearly twenty times denser than steel, with a consistency like hot tar.

That's a tad more extreme than ordinary fire, or even ordinary magma; it's a different state of matter altogether. I would think a different kind of elemental would be required to survive those conditions, a fusion elemental or something along those lines, but that's just how I would approach it.

unseenmage
2019-07-06, 10:16 PM
The Pathfinder sun is evidently very different than our own.

Our sun has a pressure of 250 billion atmospheres at its core, with a temperature of about 15 million Kelvins. It’s nearly twenty times denser than steel, with a consistency like hot tar.

That's a tad more extreme than ordinary fire, or even ordinary magma; it's a different state of matter altogether. I would think a different kind of elemental would be required to survive those conditions, a fusion elemental or something along those lines, but that's just how I would approach it.
I more expect that incorporeal creatures would be more likely. Some sort of flipped undead made of positive energy instead of negative. Either a noble race of sentient energy or a viscous affirmation of life's hunger for fellow life that poses a threat to anyone foolish enough to seek their extreme environment.

Palanan
2019-07-06, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by unseenmage
I more expect that incorporeal creatures would be more likely. Some sort of flipped undead made of positive energy instead of negative. Either a noble race of sentient energy....

Incorporeal would certainly avoid a lot of issues. This reminds me a little of the prana ghost, which is a template, I believe. That would certainly make for an interesting society, although I wonder if they wouldn't be hiding from something. Or maybe they just like riding the magnetic fieldlines.

Psyren
2019-07-06, 11:39 PM
Incorporeality isn't necessary - Fire Plane natives get to ignore the negative gravity/pressure effects, so they can be corporeal and still survive the extreme conditions with ease. This includes beings like efreet, fire elementals, and even the lowly salamander.

If you're asking about which beings live in the sun's core specifically, that would be a race of outsiders called Jyoti. They're actually native to the positive energy plane (which the sun's core is a conduit to) but they explicitly guard the gateway against any interlopers that can survive the sun's conditions themselves.

Maat Mons
2019-07-07, 12:48 AM
Well... burrow is for moving through solids, swim is for moving through liquids, and fly is for moving through gasses. Plasma isn't exactly any of those things, but at least there isn't a hard boundary between it and gas, so you could make an argument for applying fly speed in a plasma. Then again, I would imagine that most of the sun exists in the temperature and pressure range where liquids and gasses long ago stopped being different things, so the argument could probably apply to swim speed as well.

Here's something to consider though, buoyancy is a thing. Someone said that the material in the heart of the sun is 20 times denser than steel. So, how do you make constructs that don't just float up to the surface? They'd either need to be about the same density as whatever ... "fluid" they're moving through, or they'd need to directly apply force to counteract their buoyancy.

unseenmage
2019-07-07, 06:25 AM

Here's something to consider though, buoyancy is a thing. Someone said that the material in the heart of the sun is 20 times denser than steel. So, how do you make constructs that don't just float up to the surface? They'd either need to be about the same density as whatever ... "fluid" they're moving through, or they'd need to directly apply force to counteract their buoyancy.

Hmm. A good point. Do we have any D&D materials that are dense enough to do the job or do we need to get some magic involved?

Jowgen
2019-07-07, 09:36 AM
The closest thing to a Sun is the Inferno Star, presented in Dragon 347 p. 49. It straight up igrnoe fire resistance/immunity, and the closer you get the more debilitating the effects. Touching it is a DC 30 fot save each turn or dust.

Ravens_cry
2019-07-07, 01:18 PM
The photosphere, the visible 'surface' of a star, is gas, plasma really, so I am going to go with flight, not a burrow speed, unless you are going deep, DEEP towards the star's core.
Once you are inside the photosphere, you are flying blind, unless you have other senses.

King of Nowhere
2019-07-07, 01:33 PM

the surface of the sun doesn't have a huge density. I can't find a surface density, but if the average density is 1.4 kg/m3, surface density is probably lower than that of water. meaning a person would sink until it reaches the point where the sun material is as dense as water.

However, it's got to be much denser than air, so it's not a big deal to get buoyancy on it. A boat could float on the sun, if you could get the adequate fire protections. Do notice that on the surface you also don't have problems with pressure. You still have to deal with gravity (the ship floats, but people on the ship arre going to be squashed on the floor) and with extreme radiations.