PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items that grant feats?

Tyger
2007-10-08, 03:15 PM
Are there any? Quick search of the SRD came up bupkis.

Draz74
2007-10-08, 03:18 PM
There are a few. Off the top of my head, there are Weapons of Mighty Cleaving and Dark Blue Ioun Stones.

Runolfr
2007-10-08, 03:19 PM
There are also rods that grant metamagic feats.

So, yes, there are feat-granting items.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-08, 03:35 PM
Gloves of Arrow Snaring - Snatch Arrows feat 2/Day
Golem Manuals effectively give you the Craft Construct feat, for that use only.
Incense of Meditation Maximize Spell, all spells, divine only.
Sylvan Scimitar: Cleave feat.

Tyger
2007-10-08, 04:10 PM
There are a few. Off the top of my head, there are Weapons of Mighty Cleaving and Dark Blue Ioun Stones.

Well, Mighty Cleaving actually only adds one extra Cleave to someone who already has Cleave, so its not quite what I was looking for.

Though I missed that Ioun Stone. Good catch there!

As for the metamagic rods, good point, and I had thought of those, but they are of course limited to 3x per day, and only work on certain levels... so they aren't quite what I had in mind.

Thanks though, pointing me in the right direction!

Citizen Joe
2007-10-08, 04:11 PM
Keen weapons

Hario
2007-10-08, 04:20 PM
night sticks and the gloves of deflection are one of the few I havn't seen
also its generally 10k for a magic item that emulates a feat, not that night sticks follow those guidelines

Zherog
2007-10-08, 04:22 PM
Are there any? Quick search of the SRD came up bupkis.

Then you missed the dark blue ioun stone, which grants the Alertness feat. ;)

The_Snark
2007-10-08, 04:24 PM
Epic intelligent magic items can grant the use of feats. Aside from the fact that it's in the epic section, though, there's nothing I can see that makes them epic; the abilities cost anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000 to add to an intelligent item.

Dragonmuncher
2007-10-08, 04:36 PM
Ring of Evasion

Zherog
2007-10-08, 04:39 PM
Evasion isn't a feat; it's a class ability.

Seffbasilisk
2007-10-08, 04:41 PM

So is Turn Undead, which is what Nightsticks grant.

bugsysservant
2007-10-08, 04:54 PM
So is Turn Undead, which is what Nightsticks grant.

No, they just grant you more uses. (or were written differently than I remember.) In essence they grant the feat extra turning.

John Campbell
2007-10-08, 07:46 PM
Keen weapons

Wielding a keen weapon isn't the same thing as having Improved Critical. If you were a two-scimitar fighter, and you were wielding a scimitar that granted the Improved Critical (scimitar) feat in one hand, and an ordinary non-magical scimitar in the other, you'd get the expanded critical range on both your weapons. If you were wielding a keen scimitar in one hand and an ordinary non-magical scimitar in the other, however, you'd only get the expanded critical range on the scimitar that was actually keen.

And I wouldn't say that items that happened to have effects similar to the effects of feats, but that didn't invoke the feat by name in their description, granted the feat. Particularly if they stacked with the actual feat.

Riding boots, from the MIC, grant "the benefit of the Ride-By Attack feat", among other effects. Gloves of the balanced hand work "as though you possess the Two-Weapon Fighting feat", or "as if using the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat" if you've already got Two-Weapon Fighting. I think there are a couple others like that in the MIC, but I don't recall them offhand.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-08, 08:03 PM
In addition to the items above, there's always an item of continuous Heroics. It's a 10min/lvl spell in the Spell Compendium, so it'd run you (2nd level) * (CL 3) * (2000 base * 1.5 modifier) = 18,000g to have a feat of your choice at any given time. Could even get a discount for losing the option of changing which feat it is too.

Tokiko Mima
2007-10-08, 08:30 PM
The Sun Sword grants you Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword) but only for itself, and only if you have weapon proficiency with short swords. Or vice versa. It's a little wierd how it works.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 08:31 PM
Bracers of Archery grant Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bows).

Dragonmuncher
2007-10-08, 08:37 PM

I... I knew that! I was just testing you, to see if YOU knew it.

And you did. So, good job!

Kurobara
2007-10-08, 09:04 PM
Off the top of my head:

Strongarm Bracers (MIC) not only basically grant Monkey Grip, but it's Monkey Grip without the -2 to attacks.
Mobility (MIC armor special property) grants... well, Mobility.

Anxe
2007-10-08, 11:02 PM
All those intelligent items grant feats.

Tokiko Mima
2007-10-13, 06:53 PM
The aptly named Precise (MIC) Weapon Property gives you Precise Shot for the ranged weapon it's applied to.

deadseashoals
2007-10-13, 06:59 PM
There's a weapon property that gives you weapon proficiency for the weapon it's applied to, but I'm blanking on the name right now (Aptitude, was it?). There's another weapon property somewhere that gives you all weapon-specific feats that you currently have for that weapon (e.g. you have Improved Critical and Weapon Focus for the greatsword, and you find a greataxe with this property, you now have +1 to hit and 19-20 crits with that greataxe). Unfortunately, I'm blanking on the name of that property as well.

Justyn
2007-10-13, 07:11 PM
There's a weapon property that gives you weapon proficiency for the weapon it's applied to, but I'm blanking on the name right now (Aptitude, was it?). There's another weapon property somewhere that gives you all weapon-specific feats that you currently have for that weapon (e.g. you have Improved Critical and Weapon Focus for the greatsword, and you find a greataxe with this property, you now have +1 to hit and 19-20 crits with that greataxe). Unfortunately, I'm blanking on the name of that property as well.

Not sure about the one that grants you proficiency, but what you discribed (any feat that effects one type of weapon effects weapons with this property[sic]) is Aptitude. It's in Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, page 148.

Armads
2007-10-13, 08:56 PM
Horizon Goggles grant Far Shot, I think.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-13, 09:33 PM
Now this isnt gona help any cause but the magic item of Lireal Barne's, the spell book, grants the Create Portal Feat. Though I guess it is a minor artifact.

reorith
2007-10-14, 01:28 AM
sunblade pretty provides proficiency with it as a bastard sword.

SCPRedMage
2007-10-14, 01:43 AM
Sounds like there's some confusion over Sun Blades...

They don't grant "proficiency". They're simply unusually light and easy to use, so you can wield it as a short sword. Basically, it can count as either a short sword or a bastard sword, in regards to ANYTHING. For example, if you have Weapon Focus in either short swords or bastard swords, you get the +1 to hit (but not +2 if you have both).

So, yeah, they're kind of odd in how they work, but they don't grant anything.