PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Veiled Moon Style Feat ... Escape from a Grapple?

Miss Disaster
2019-07-06, 05:58 PM
Hey all.

I'm looking at the Veiled Moon Style feat from Path of War - Expanded.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/feats/veiled-moon-style-combat-style/

I'm thinking of a scenario where a character with this feat just got grappled by an enemy. On Round #2, would the character have the ability to use Veiled Moon Style's partial-movement teleportation to automatically escape the enemy's grapple?

I see that since she is successfully grappled, she cannot "move", but she could take a Move Action. So I'm not sure how to parse the rules language for the feat's usage in this fashion.

Thanks for any help!

Rynjin
2019-07-06, 06:21 PM
Yes, you may still take Move actions, and relocating to a space outside of the Grapple breaks it automatically. It's a common use of the Conjuration Wizard's Dimensional Shift and similar abilities as well, from the Core Rulebook.

exelsisxax
2019-07-06, 07:25 PM
As a supernatural ability, it is not impeded at all by grapple. You can move out of the grapple via teleportation, and then nothing is impeding your normal movement(unless the grappler has a long reach, in which case you are still trappled by RAW because teleportation itself doesn't break a grapple)

heavyfuel
2019-07-06, 07:44 PM
I don't agree that it allows.

You have to move to use the feat, not simply execute a move action. You can still teleport during a Run action.

Whenever you move, you can treat up to 10 feet of that movement as teleportation.

The "Grappled" condition explicitly says "Grappled creatures cannot move"

Seems pretty clear cut, in fact.

ThatMoonGuy
2019-07-06, 08:37 PM
I don't agree that it allows.

You have to move to use the feat, not simply execute a move action. You can still teleport during a Run action.

The "Grappled" condition explicitly says "Grappled creatures cannot move"

Seems pretty clear cut, in fact.

That's a technical point, however, since any portion of the movement can be made into teleport, including its beginning. So its a matter of what takes precedence, although RAW seems to lean more towards your reading.

Still, if you're into PoW and V. Moon, you could just use the Ghost Walk boost to get out of that specific pinch.

Rynjin
2019-07-06, 09:13 PM
I missed he was talking about the Feat, not a Maneuver. Any of the Maneuvers would let you jaunt around (including the Stance), but yeah the Feat doesn't work for the reasons mentioned.