PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH-Minor Sorcerer Tweaks

AdAstra
2019-07-06, 07:37 PM
Sorcerers are pretty great honestly. These changes mostly serve (in my mind at least) to make their features feel more fleshed out and less disappointing, rather than more powerful, though they are a notable power boost. All the same, I would be glad to find out about any imbalances these changes could create.
Enhanced Spell- When you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, but lower than 6th level, you can spend 2 sorcery points to cast the spell at 1 higher level than the spell slot expended.
Careful Spell Revised-Just make it so spells that do half damage on a successful save instead do no damage for those affected by Careful Spell.
Unerring Spell- When you cast a spell requiring you to make an attack roll or ability check, you can expend 2 sorcery points to gain advantage on the first roll.
Lvl. 10-Limitless Potential-(In addition to getting an extra metamagic) You can now use your Sorcery to produce spells you would otherwise be unable to cast. By expending a spell slot and a number of sorcery points equal to its level, you may cast any Sorcerer spell of a level equal to the slot expended. You may not use this feature again until you take a short or long rest.
Lvl. 17-(In addition to getting an extra metamagic) Sorcerous Restoration moved here
Lvl. 20-Birthright-Your limitless power seeps through every spell you cast. Once per turn, when you use a metamagic that costs 1 sorcery point, that metamagic instead costs 0.

Hypersmith
2019-07-06, 10:50 PM
I'm always up for some sorcerer little buffs to make em feel better. That level 20 feature is real nice. Not sure balance wise tbh, I've yet to play level 20 so my sense for it is pretty off. Enhanced spell - I don't think it's needed. Just use the points to make a new spell slot higher up.

With the amount of resource expenditure for limitless potential, I certainly don't think it's broken. In fact, I really really like that. Well done overall.

AdAstra
2019-07-07, 06:13 AM
I'm always up for some sorcerer little buffs to make em feel better. That level 20 feature is real nice. Not sure balance wise tbh, I've yet to play level 20 so my sense for it is pretty off. Enhanced spell - I don't think it's needed. Just use the points to make a new spell slot higher up.

With the amount of resource expenditure for limitless potential, I certainly don't think it's broken. In fact, I really really like that. Well done overall.

Well, glad to hear that, though I did want to explain my reasoning for the Enhanced Spell. So the math is that for any spell slot above 1st, it's cheaper to use enhanced spell than to convert the slot into SP and back (2 SP vs. 3)and doesn't use two bonus actions, so you can easily do it in combat. In addition, it allows early-level sorcerers to cast spells at a level higher than they even have slots for. I do agree, looking at it again, that it doesn't do a whole lot that's really all that special, just thought it'd be neat to flesh out some of the metamagic options more, and it can save SP if you wanna do that sorta thing often.

Also, I realized that I put down Subtle spell when I meant to revise Careful Spell. Gonna fix that real quick.