PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Cost for spellcasting hirelings at a monthly rate

redking
2019-07-06, 11:21 PM
What would it cost to hire a spellcaster at a monthly rate, using a formula? Does such a formula exist? All I can find is spellcasting services per spell.

Venger
2019-07-06, 11:33 PM
no such formula exists. all you have is the per-spell table. if you want an npc spellcaster on tap longterm, pick one up as a follower or cohort. then you don't have to pay him anything.

Malphegor
2019-07-07, 09:18 AM
I suppose if you know the level of the spellcaster, once can determine a base cost based on their spells per day, plus a premium rate for spells cast beyond this allowance. If I was that spellcaster I’d probably have set rates for conventional threats, wolves, bandits, goblins, but when you start facing hydras there’d be multipliers on that due to severe risk of death.

Basically you’re paying them to cast X number of spells, plus living expenses, all vs the risk of them being too dead to use that money.

Edited in addition:

Let's assume It's a Level 8 Wizard, no prcs, just straight wizardry.

We'll assume their intelligence-granted bonus spell slots aren't included, I'd say charge double standard price for those and they're charged as they come, same as any other business expenses. Receipts are necessary though.

They can cast 4 cantrips, 4(1st level), 3(2nd level), 3(3rd level), 2(2nd level).

Assuming that the wizard casts every spell that they have prepared at some point during the next 24 hours, that's a cost of x where

X= (4*(8*5))+(4*(8*10))+(3*(8*20))+(3*(8*30))+(2*(8*4 0))

X= 2320gp.

Which is... um... surprisingly cheap, imo. ... wait, that means it's cheaper to hire a wizard to cast spells than buy the scrolls to learn and cast it yourself at some point. I need to look more into the maths here at some point.

Of course, the services charges says you get the wizard to cast the spell at their convenience and not necessarily travel with you.

So you're probably paying them a wage too to get them to follow you. Which means we need the Arms and Equipment Guide rules on hiring followers, which I don't have.