PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crossbow Expert vs Hex

Fable Wright
2019-07-07, 09:17 AM
Right now, I'm playing an Eldritch Knight 8/Hexblade 1 with 20 Dex and Sharpshooter. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Fighter 8 feat. Normally, since this is a ranged build, it would definitely be time for Crossbow Expert, but...

1. I have Bracers of Archery, and Hex up in every combat my group runs. The difference between a hand crossbow and a bow of equivalent damage is around 6.5 damage per hit, or around 13 damage on a standard attack routine. Up to 26 on an Action Surge turn.
2. Crossbow Expert competes with Expeditious Retreat, Hex, Hexblade's Curse, and Misty Step. When I use one of those, Crossbow Expert is hurting my damage over a longbow without offering anything in return.
3. I actually do a surprising amount of damage in melee from Booming Blade + Rapier, so the ability to make ranged attacks from 5ft away is much less of an incentive than it would normally be.

Damage calcs pretty consistently show Crossbow Expert as a required feat for optimization, but in this situation... is it really worth it? Especially since my other main concern would be nabbing Resilient (Wis) right as we hit Proficiency +4, and at level 12, the damage difference is even higher with three attacks per action. The difference between an action surge'd Crossbow Expert attack routine vs Longbow attack routine is pretty notable at 6 attacks.

So, is it worth it?

djreynolds
2019-07-07, 09:40 AM
IMO, if you don't use either eldritch blast or longbow or crossbow in melee, then there is no reason for the feat, since it negates disadvantage when using any ranged attack, spell or bow/crossbow, with an enemy within 5ft. And you having booming blade.

Also, how often are you using war magic and what other cantrips do you use with war magic.

When you use action surge, you still only get 1 bonus action. So you could attack twice with a longbow, and conceivably also use war magic and cast a cantrip and bonus action longbow... so 3 longbow and one cantrip, like eldritch blast or firebolt.

Another idea, you could grab a level of war cleric and use that bonus action from your wisdom modifier whenever you action surge.

I would take resilient wisdom

Fable Wright
2019-07-07, 09:54 AM
Also, how often are you using war magic and what other cantrips do you use with war magic.

War Magic is mostly for when I'm stuck in melee, or to throw up a Minor Illusion (get Unseen Attacker benefits, because sharpshooter + Advantage) or Mold Earth (for 3/4th cover on demand) when necessary.

chando
2019-07-07, 10:52 AM
I think you awsered yourself already:
Yeah, stick with the bow, you'll probably have a easier time getting a better/more unique/fantastic magic bow, than you would getting a magic hand crossbow, making up any almost unnoticiable difference in damage right there.

Also, great uses for war magic!

djreynolds
2019-07-07, 06:44 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469118-GUIDE-Bow-Bond-An-Eldritch-Knight%92s-guide-to-Archery&p=6707748#post6707748

This is from the class guides and I think it might be up your alley, maybe you already read it.

Your bow attacks with sharpshooter are probably stronger than your cantrips.

So yeah grab resilient wisdom.