PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is a bard viable for a lv3 one-shot?

Rory
2019-07-07, 09:21 AM
My boyfriend is planning a one-shot to start DMing and I wanted to do something unusual. (we have the player handbook and the three monsters manuals for possible races, but I think if I find something nice enough he might be persuaded in letting me use it)
I've never played a bard (it would probably be human) and I don't know if it's viable since we're probably not gonna level up.
And if yes, are there any low-level builds a bit... unusual?
The story is gonna be part investigation- part fight to find a moster hidden between humans in a village (a werewolf, or similar).

I accept other options too if interesting enough.

Eldariel
2019-07-07, 09:27 AM
Sure, you get some good 1st level spells and some Bardic Music. Not as strong as Cleric or Wizard but skills are nice so overall you'll be fine. Just pick stuff like Grease, Silent Image and company and be creative. Max out your Cha; 20 would give you an extra 1st level spell, which would be awesome. Cha bonus LA +0 races include Star Elf, Lesser Aasimar and company but unsure if there are any in your sources.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-07-07, 09:38 AM
See if you can use Silverbrow Human from Races of the Dragon. It's a human that had a silver dragon ancestor, you trade the bonus skill points for always getting disguise as a class skill and the dragonblood subtype. There aren't really any dragonblood race options in the books you mentioned, and it should be close enough to normal human to be permitted.

Use the Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) variant, and take Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for a war-trained riding dog companion. Add the warbeast template in MM2 to that, which only takes handle animal checks and time. See if you can swap Gather Information for Handle Animal as a class skill (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), the reverse of the skilled city-dweller option.

Take the feats Dragonfire Inspiration (RotD) and Song of the Heart (ECS), learn the spell Inspirational Boost (SC), and get a Badge of Valor (MIC). When you inspire courage you'll add 4d6 fire damage to everyone's attacks, including your animal cohort's bites and your own shortbow attacks.

Troacctid
2019-07-08, 12:48 AM
Alternatively, if you prefer to be the world's best fast-talker, you could take Bind Vestige, Practiced Binder, and Spawn of the Dark Prince as your feats. That would give you a +10 bonus to Bluff and allow you to take 10 on Bluff and Diplomacy and use them both as a full-round action at no penalty for rushing. Meanwhile, max Bluff and Diplomacy and put 5 ranks each in Sense Motive and Knowledge (nobility and royalty) for a +6 total synergy bonus to Diplomacy. Assuming +3 Charisma, that's +15 Diplomacy for a take 10 result of 25—which means you can turn hostile creatures indifferent (or turn unfriendly creatures friendly) with only a full-round action, no chance of failure.