PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Middle Finger of Vecna: archetype inquiry

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-07, 11:26 AM
So I'm looking at this rogue archetype,https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/08/master-of-shadow.html, and wondering if a bonus action to cast chill touch which scales and uses CHA, is OP.

What do you guys think?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-07, 01:17 PM
Hmm... my first instinct was to agree, but honestly I don't think it's as bad as all that. At 3rd level it's a bonus action for 1d8; that's on par with plenty of other mundane options like TWF or Crossbow Expert. It's not until 11th that it becomes more damaging than TWF-with-the-fighting-style (which itself would be a totally reasonable third level Rogue ability) or Crossbow Expert. Given how much use Rogues already have for their bonus action, and that unlike TWF they can't score sneak attack this way, I think it's probably okay.

Bloodcloud
2019-07-07, 09:05 PM
It's quite strong starting level 11+. Before that, it's quite in line with other options for bonus action. On a rogue in particular which ften wants to use the bonus action to hide or disengage. It also is not a second chance to land sneak attack, unlike two-weapon fighting and xbow expert. I think it gets a bit strong at 11+ and especially 18+, but otherwise it's not completely bonkers.

The fact that you also gain devil sight and that the shadow is a permanent mage hand seems a bit much to me. Then you get bonus action darkness AND silence, and i'd say yes, this subclass is quite OP IMO.

JNAProductions
2019-07-07, 09:42 PM
The Chill Touch is powerful, but not overpowered on its own.

The subclass as a whole, though, would get a hearty "No" from me if a player brought it to the table.