PDA

View Full Version : The longest range possible

Teaguethebean
2019-07-07, 01:40 PM
I have been wondering if their is a way to attack from further than 600ft in dnd 5e I know in previous additions feats and the like could be used but I am asking if there is anything beyond a normal longbow.

Galithar
2019-07-07, 01:44 PM
Meteor Swarm has a range of 1 mile :P

I believe a Sorlock can beat the 600 feet though.

The invocation that ups the range of Eldritch Blast plus Spell Sniper gives you the same 600 feet. Then distant metamagic to double it to 1200 feet I think. Should work unless I'm missing something that keeps those from stacking.

Blood of Gaea
2019-07-07, 02:50 PM
Tsunami has a range of sight.

LudicSavant
2019-07-07, 04:16 PM

So does Storm of Vengeance and Mirage Arcane.

Mongobear
2019-07-07, 05:46 PM
So does Storm of Vengeance and Mirage Arcane.

He said attack. Technically those aren't "attacks" since there's no attack roll.

Trickery
2019-07-07, 06:09 PM
Meteor Swarm has a range of 1 mile :P

I believe a Sorlock can beat the 600 feet though.

The invocation that ups the range of Eldritch Blast plus Spell Sniper gives you the same 600 feet. Then distant metamagic to double it to 1200 feet I think. Should work unless I'm missing something that keeps those from stacking.

That's the way to do it.

If you want to effectively have longer range, you can combine this with Haste, Longstrider, the tabaxi race, and rogue for cunning action. That gives you a movement speed of 80 which you can double with the tabaxi racial and use a bonus action to dash as well, all-told giving you an extra 320 feet of movement that round if memory serves. That way you can eldritch blast someone who's 1520 feet away from you on your turn.

The real limitation here is sight. A chain-pact warlock can use an imp to fly into the air and help scout targets. Remember, if you can't see your target and they can't see you either, but you know where they are, you can roll ranged attacks against them normally (unless they have full cover or your DM says otherwise). This is because an unseen attacker has advantage on attacks, but attacking a target you can't see gives you disadvantage. These cancel, so you may attack the target normally.

JNAProductions
2019-07-07, 09:43 PM
Limited to attack rolls only?

Eldritch Blast with the Eldritch Spear invocation (300') doubled with Spell Sniper (600') and Distant metamagic (1,200').

Otherwise, as mentioned, Meteor Swarm has a mile range, and several spells have a range of sight.

No brains
2019-07-07, 09:49 PM
I know it's not quite an attack as you define it, but you can damage someone with the Dream spell if they are anywhere on the same plane as you.

Trickery
2019-07-07, 10:17 PM
I know it's not quite an attack as you define it, but you can damage someone with the Dream spell if they are anywhere on the same plane as you.

Awesome. This is turning into one of those great threads.

I'll add Plane Shift. Now, using Plane Shift + Dream, you can "hit" any creature on any plane with a spell, provided that you know the creature.

What else can we do?

Blood of Gaea
2019-07-07, 11:02 PM

I'll add Plane Shift. Now, using Plane Shift + Dream, you can "hit" any creature on any plane with a spell, provided that you know the creature.

What else can we do?
Cast Awaken on a Beast, preferably a quick and stealthy one.
Cast Beast Sense on it.
Plane Shift the beast to the target plane, within a one hour travel from the target.
Cast Tsunami or Storm of Vengeance.

Daithi
2019-07-08, 09:02 PM

So that should pair really well with Scrying.

Daithi
2019-07-08, 09:12 PM
The Lore Wizard from UA had some ability that extended spell distances to 1 mile. Then you could add the Spell Sniper feat and Sorcerer Distant Spell meta-magic to make it 4 miles. Get on the enemies flank and cast a 4 mile fireball that destroys everything its path.

The 1 mile distance applies to any spell that had a range of at least 30 feet, and the Sorcerer Distant Spell meta-magic extended any spell that had a range of touch to 30 feet. So there is that combo as well.

Kane0
2019-07-08, 11:27 PM

Concentration tho :smallfrown:

Edit: In theory Mind Spike might also have some use.

Chronos
2019-07-09, 07:30 AM
For targeting using a familiar, remember that it requires an action to use your familiar's senses. So you'd need to either get another action (fighter's Action Surge or Haste), or use an attack that only requires a bonus action.

Sigreid
2019-07-09, 07:37 AM
Can you use arcane gate and fire through that to extend range?

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-24, 10:57 PM
Limited to attack rolls only?

Eldritch Blast with the Eldritch Spear invocation (300') doubled with Spell Sniper (600') and Distant metamagic (1,200').

Otherwise, as mentioned, Meteor Swarm has a mile range, and several spells have a range of sight.

So, you're saying that if my Kobold Druid (w/ thr Urd Wings racial feat from Expanded Racial Feats) and his Eyes of the Eagle could *really* mess a town up from miles away?

iTreeby
2019-07-24, 11:25 PM
So, you're saying that if my Kobold Druid (w/ thr Urd Wings racial feat from Expanded Racial Feats) and his Eyes of the Eagle could *really* mess a town up from miles away?

What is eyes of the eagle from? I thought only eagle totem barbarian could see for a mile but if druid can as well then I suspect druid multiclasses with spells a little better than barbarians do.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-25, 12:49 AM
Cannon Ball. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 600/2,400 ft., one target. Hit: 44 (8d10) bludgeoning damage.
Source: DMG, page 255

Mongobear
2019-07-25, 01:10 PM
Cannon Ball. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 600/2,400 ft., one target. Hit: 44 (8d10) bludgeoning damage.
Source: DMG, page 255

This probably wins for "weapon" attacks, especially if Sharpshooter applies.

Chronos
2019-07-26, 10:43 AM
For a cannonball, wouldn't you need Bluntshooter? :smalltongue:

Trickery
2019-07-26, 10:51 AM
Is there a way to turn the cannon's shot into a ranged spell attack? If so, then Distant and Spell Sniper may apply. The only thing I can think of is Magic Stone with a permissive DM.

NNescio
2019-07-26, 11:06 AM
Cast Awaken on a Beast, preferably a quick and stealthy one.
Cast Beast Sense on it.
Plane Shift the beast to the target plane, within a one hour travel from the target.
Cast Tsunami or Storm of Vengeance.

You'd still need line of effect, no? Per the Clear Path to the Target rules, that is. You can't target a creature or point behind an obstruction (i.e. Total Cover), even if it's within range. It just so happens the range is Sight in this case, but it should be the same as if you're trying to Fireball someone behind a wall, even if said someone is within range (and within sight via remote sensing effects, or if we assume a glass wall).

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-26, 11:11 AM

What else can we do?

Send your Simulacrum to their plane, search them out, and destroy them...[insert muahahaha here]

So basically your range is infinite. Or at least as large as the multiverse, but that's probably a conversation for another thread.

NNescio
2019-07-26, 11:17 AM
Send your Simulacrum to their plane, search them out, and destroy them...[insert muahahaha here]

So basically your range is infinite. Or at least as large as the multiverse, but that's probably a conversation for another thread.

Time to apply some Cantorian set theory...

tieren
2019-07-26, 11:23 AM
If you dropped a piano on someone from a height of ten miles would that count as an attack?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-26, 11:24 AM
Time to apply some Cantorian set theory...

I'll grab my book on Mandelbrot and my Euler diagrams...

Trickery
2019-07-26, 11:28 AM
If you dropped a piano on someone from a height of ten miles would that count as an attack?

Something like this?

https://i.redd.it/ez41kdzuub931.png

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-26, 12:14 PM
What is eyes of the eagle from? I thought only eagle totem barbarian could see for a mile but if druid can as well then I suspect druid multiclasses with spells a little better than barbarians do.

Eyes of the Eagle is an Uncommon magic item.
Allows the user to see 'extremely distant' things as small as 2ft across in good conditions.
Something like Tidal Wave and Storm of Vengeance would be *devastating* if this 2ft tall, winged critter can drop it on a town from a mile+ away.

darknite
2019-07-26, 12:59 PM
Interdimensionally.

Wizard casts Gate and opens a portal into another plane, the archer opens fire through the gate, from the Prime Material to where ever that Gate went to.