PDA

View Full Version : Is this damage reduction build following the rules?

moonfly7
2019-07-07, 04:09 PM
So, I was thinking of making an anti magic character build that could really kick butt, and I discovered the ancients paladin ability to give itself, and every ally in 10 feet, resistance too damage from spells. When I saw this, I had a question, can this stack with say, fire resistance when applied to a spell like fireball?
And then I asked myself, wait, if a character with resistance succeeds a save against fireball, does that resistance divide the already halved damage again? If so, then, if the spell resist from ancients stacks, this is gonna get crazy. And then I remembered that the rogue, at a certain level can use its reaction to halve damage against it.
So, assuming all of these can stack together, I slapped 3 levels barbarian on tgis build so I could get bear totem, and resistance to all damage except psychic while raging. Now this build, when hit by a non psychic attack that lets you roll for half damage, cam divide damage four times.
But that all relise on the answer tp this question: since the rule of resistances is that you cant have two of the same resistance from different sources (like fire resist from race feature, amd then also from class), but the ancients paladin feature isnt the same as any other resistance feature, can you stqck them together?

LudicSavant
2019-07-07, 04:12 PM
Resistance doesn't stack.

Lille
2019-07-07, 04:16 PM
The Ancients Paladin's Aura of Warding is still classed as "resistance", which means it doesn't stack with other sources of resistance. The Rogue's Uncanny Dodge is not resistance, so it does stack, but Uncanny Dodge requires you to be hit by an attack, so it doesn't function against Fireball and similar save-based effects.

moonfly7
2019-07-07, 04:23 PM
Does it actually say in the rules resistance doesn't stack? Or does it say the same spurces of resistance don't stack, because I'm pretty sure that this is a case of specific beating general. Though I could definitely be wrong.

Lille
2019-07-07, 04:32 PM
Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one resistance. For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage as well as resistance to all nonmagical damage, the damage of a nonmagical fire is reduced by half against the creature, rather than three-quarters.

In effect, resistance can't stack with any other source that would give resistance against the same thing. Following the example above, if you were hit by a Fireball, the Barbarian's resistance (against fire) and the Paladin's resistance (against spells) are treated as giving resistance against the same thing (e.g. they both give resistance against fire spells), meaning they don't stack.

moonfly7
2019-07-07, 04:43 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-08, 03:10 PM
This does make me want to make a Bear Totem Gnome, though. Would be the tankiest thing you've ever seen. 2 and 1/2 feet of unstoppable rage.

Teaguethebean
2019-07-09, 04:57 AM
This does make me want to make a Bear Totem Gnome, though. Would be the tankiest thing you've ever seen. 2 and 1/2 feet of unstoppable rage.

What about a yuan ti then you have straight up magic resistance

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-09, 06:28 AM
If resistance ciuld be stacked, aadd dragonborn.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-09, 10:12 AM
What about a yuan ti then you have straight up magic resistance

Not a fan of Yuan-Ti myself, and Gnomes are more accessible to everyone. But mostly the idea of an indestructible, raging gnome is a lot more interesting than an indestructible, raging snake-person.

Hypno
2019-07-09, 12:32 PM
Get heavy armor mastery for some more damage reduction.

MaXenzie
2019-07-09, 09:29 PM

Can't gain the benefits of rage in heavy armor.

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-09, 10:38 PM

That was the idea for my Naga Paladin of the Ancients. I love Ancients for the relative 'slack' they get with the tenets, and the 7th level aura makes them stupid tanky against casters.