PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What Goes Up - Duskblade Dimension Hop Channelling (3.5)

SirNibbles
2019-07-08, 11:24 AM
I was thinking of doing a Duskblade teleporter build which uses swift Dimension Hop to get into position and then channels Dimension Hop on a full attack to teleport enemies into the air.

As seems to be the norm in D&D, someone else has already thought of at least part of this:
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12428.0

In that thread, there are a few arguments:
1. Can you use Dimension Hop to teleport enemies into the air?
2. Does moving out of a threatened square as you fall through the air provoke AoOs?
3. Does the target fall prone upon landing?

Here are the main points made:

1. Teleporting Enemies into the Air

"A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell can’t appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it. - Rules Compendium, page 120

That quote is being taken by some as meaning that you can't teleport enemies into the air. I disagree. Is a creature or object being brought into being? No. Is a creature or object being transported to your location? No. Therefore, this rule does not apply for Dimension Hop, and many other Teleportation spells.

2. Provoking While Falling

"Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity." - SRD: Actions in Combat

There is nothing that says otherwise, so falling through a threatened square should provoke. You could also make the argument that being teleported out of a threatened square counts as 'moving' out of it and thus provokes, but I do think that would be going a bit far. Either way, you can only provoke once from an enemy no matter how many threatened squares you leave, so just the falling one is enough.

3. Falling Prone

I've not been able to find anything that says you fall prone just because you fall from a height. There are abilities which specifically state you may fall prone from jumping down from a height, such as the Battle Jump feat (Unapproachable East).

"After you attack, you take falling damage as normal for the distance you jumped. You are entitled to a Jump check (DC 15) to take less damage, as if you had fallen 10 feet less than you actually did. If you fail this Jump check, you fall prone 5 feet from your opponent."

Due to lack of evidence of anything occurring, it seems that you do not fall prone simply by falling. As a side note: in 5e, any fall which causes damage causes you to fall prone.

____

Those contentions out of the way, we end up with the following idea:
1. Swift Action to literally teleport behind you
2. Duskblade Channel Dimension Hop and attack your enemy. If they fail their will save, you send them airborne and wait for them to crash to the floor. While they're falling, you get a free hit against them.

Pretty simple.

But what if you want to double up your damage by causing your enemy to fall on top of another enemy? How do the rules handle that situation?

At first it seems rather simple: creatures take falling damage when they fall, and creatures take damage when objects (or other creatures) fall on them (based on the weight and distance of the falling object).

At CL 10, you can teleport someone 25 feet. That means a 25 foot fall. A creature weighing over 200 lbs would thus deal 2d6 damage to whatever it lands on, as well as taking 2d6 fall damage. A heavier creature, such as a 5,000 lb Iron Golem, would deal 25x that damage to whatever is underneath, max 20d6.

But what happens after the fall?

"You can move through a square occupied by a friendly creature, unless you’re charging... If you’re Small or larger, you usually can’t end your movement in a square occupied by another Small or larger creature, effectively sharing a space with that creature." - Rules Compendium, page 95

"In general, when the characters aren’t engaged in round-by-round combat, they should be able to move anywhere and in any manner that you can imagine real people could. A 5-foot square, for instance, can hold several characters; they just can’t all fight effectively in that small space. The rules for movement are important for combat, but outside combat they can impose unnecessary hindrances on character activities. - SRD: Movement

So you can occupy the same space as another creature, you just can't fight effectively...whatever that means. I would say applying the same -4 to AC and attack rolls that you get from squeezing into a tight space would make sense. RAW doesn't seem to address the issue at all.

Or, perhaps the creature never enters the same square (or cube). The falling creature lands on top of the creature. Nobody falls prone, because the rules don't say they do. That means both creatures are standing upright, one on top of the other, in some sort of insane circus act. They still take fall damage, but they don't end up in the same square.

Honestly it feels like trying to apply RAW in this situation just doesn't work and house-ruling is needed.

Elkad
2019-07-08, 12:14 PM
It's ambiguous.

You have to make a house interpretation. If not an outright houserule.

My houserule.
I specifically allow teleportation into the air, I don't care what the spell description says.
Teleportation into a solid object always displaces you (with damage).

Conjuration must be on a "surface capable of supporting it". If it flies, you can conjure it midair. If it can swim, you can conjure it in the water, even if it swims badly.

Hmm, that leads me astray. I was going to say no summoning iron golems in the water, but RAW an iron golem is good at swimming (+7), which should be impossible for something with 8x the density of water. But then we already knew elephants were good at climbing trees.

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 12:22 PM
nope, otherwise you could be doing silly things like using Teleportation as a save-or-die by teleporting someone a mile up. It's as Elkad said: you can only use an effect with the Teleportation descriptor to move a creature into a surface capable of supporting them.

Interestingly, you could argue that creatures with Earth Glide can be teleported into solid earth, but that's mostly good as a player help.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-08, 01:09 PM
nope, otherwise you could be doing silly things like using Teleportation as a save-or-die by teleporting someone a mile up.

And why is that a problem?

Teleport is a fifth-level spell. There are numerous other save-or-lose or save-or-be-permanently-screwed effects at fifth level, including Dismissal, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Magic Jar, and Baleful Polymorph. Sure, they all have their limitations, but teleportation's orbital drop effect doesn't kill anything with flight (which will be reasonably common at that level).

And Dimension Hop? That has such a narrow range that it can't possibly be overpowered. Save-or-fall-prone is normally a first level spell (i.e. Grease), so duplicating it with a third-level dimhop shouldn't be an issue.

SirNibbles
2019-07-08, 01:24 PM
nope, otherwise you could be doing silly things like using Teleportation as a save-or-die by teleporting someone a mile up. It's as Elkad said: you can only use an effect with the Teleportation descriptor to move a creature into a surface capable of supporting them.

Interestingly, you could argue that creatures with Earth Glide can be teleported into solid earth, but that's mostly good as a player help.

What teleportation spell with a range that large allows you to target non-willing creatures?

__

I don't agree that, according to RAW, you have to teleport yourself or the target of a teleportation spell to a surface capable of supporting them. (Again, that's due to the wording of "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location" not applying to you teleporting something away from you, or you teleporting yourself.

Like Elkad said, it's a bit ambiguous (as is the norm for D&D rules). I can definitely see RAI being as you said.

Also, teleporting yourself a mile above a city and activating your Ring of Feather Falling just above the ground seems like fun to me.

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 01:37 PM
And why is that a problem?

Teleport is a fifth-level spell. There are numerous other save-or-lose or save-or-be-permanently-screwed effects at fifth level, including Dismissal, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Magic Jar, and Baleful Polymorph. Sure, they all have their limitations, but teleportation's orbital drop effect doesn't kill anything with flight (which will be reasonably common at that level).

And Dimension Hop? That has such a narrow range that it can't possibly be overpowered. Save-or-fall-prone is normally a first level spell (i.e. Grease), so duplicating it with a third-level dimhop shouldn't be an issue.

Teleportation was an example. Dimension Hop might not be much normally, but what if you're fighting on a tower? A castle, close to an outer wall? All of those increase the power of this spell to a dangerous level, since pushing creatures usually involves Fort, which is a commonly higher save. And if you get started in Master Spellthief shenanigans, you can quickly pump your CL through the roof. The RAW and RAI both point towards it being forbidden, but in the end, it's up to the DM to choose if it's allowed or not.

Also, teleporting yourself a mile above a city and activating your Ring of Feather Falling just above the ground seems like fun to me.

You just need to Alter Self into an Avoran then teleport. After that you close your wings.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-08, 01:46 PM
And if you get started in Master Spellthief shenanigans, you can quickly pump your CL through the roof.

You should obviously ban the shenanigans (i.e. non-RAI CL boosting), rather than the mostly-harmless spell that happens to be affected by the shenanigans :smallamused:

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 01:56 PM
You should obviously ban the shenanigans (i.e. non-RAI CL boosting), rather than the mostly-harmless spell that happens to be affected by the shenanigans :smallamused:

Ban both. :nale:

SirNibbles
2019-07-08, 02:32 PM
Dimension Hop might not be much normally, but what if you're fighting on a tower? A castle, close to an outer wall? All of those increase the power of this spell to a dangerous level, since pushing creatures usually involves Fort, which is a commonly higher save.

Adapting based on the environment makes the game more interesting in my opinion. Some spells/strategies that normally wouldn't be very good are useful when you're next to natural hazards.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-08, 02:35 PM
Adapting based on the environment makes the game more interesting in my opinion. Some spells/strategies that normally wouldn't be very good are useful when you're next to natural hazards.

I concur. Nerfing a spell because it might be very good in an unusual situation AND only if you've planned for it? Yeah, that just makes for boring repetitive gameplay.

MisterKaws
2019-07-08, 02:53 PM
I concur. Nerfing a spell because it might be very good in an unusual situation AND only if you've planned for it? Yeah, that just makes for boring repetitive gameplay.

It does trivialize the poor Defenestrating Sphere, though.

Elkad
2019-07-08, 07:59 PM
That Dimension Hop spamming Duskblade sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. That's some superhero stuff.
Bonus if you can do it in a War of the Burning Sky campaign so your enemies are also burninated.

The players would adapt quickly. Safewing tokens are pretty cheap (250g), and you can upgrade to a Feather Fall ring, or Landing on your armor pretty easily by midlevel.
So a player gets to have fun watching enemies go splat? Good.

Eventually what happens? He gets Trombones Baleful Teleport and flings enemies 1000 miles into the sky? It's just another SoD effect.

animewatcha
2019-07-08, 11:14 PM
IIRC, the restriction of 'needs surface that can support them' is a restriction built into the teleportation descriptor or something itself. Now if you can duplicate the effect through a spell without said descriptor ( like Wish ), but you shouldn't face such a restriction.

Troacctid
2019-07-08, 11:26 PM
As long as you're not teleporting the creature to your location, it doesn't have to be solidly supported. I don't think the falling would provoke opportunity attacks, though.

animewatcha
2019-07-09, 12:11 AM
Okay, so I was slightly wrong. It is not the teleportation descriptor, it's the conjuration descriptor. Is there any direct teleportation ( not roundabout like Wish ) teleportation spells that aren't conjuration?

Karl Aegis
2019-07-09, 12:29 AM
Okay, so I was slightly wrong. It is not the teleportation descriptor, it's the conjuration descriptor. Is there any direct teleportation ( not roundabout like Wish ) teleportation spells that aren't conjuration?

There are a few evocations that transport someone to a different plane, but only Knight's Move comes to mind for a transmutation (teleportation) effect. Maybe Door to Great Evil is a transmutation.

SirNibbles
2019-07-09, 08:38 AM
There are a few evocations that transport someone to a different plane, but only Knight's Move comes to mind for a transmutation (teleportation) effect. Maybe Door to Great Evil is a transmutation.

Spells with the Teleportation subschool that aren't Conjuration:

Citygate - Transmutation (Dragon Compendium)
Firestride Exhalation - Conjuration/Evocation (Dragon Magic)
Knight's Move - Transmutation (Spell Compendium)

___

There still seems to be a divide between people who say the 'capable surface' rule only applies for teleporting someone to you vs all teleportation and I don't think there's much more evidence for either side to present, short of writing a letter to Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, or Skip Williams and awaiting their reply.