PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How much cargo do ships hold?

Alistaroc
2019-07-08, 12:08 PM
I love the Admiral of the High Seas book, and I'm using it as somewhat of an optional route for my players, but I realized there's no mention of cargo that I can find, important for mercantilism. Perhaps I could extrapolate from the passengers carried, but that's not clear either. Anyone know of errata or FAQ about how much cargo different size ships hold? Even house rules would be appreciated.

MesiDoomstalker
2019-07-08, 05:33 PM
Your best bet would look up historical numbers and transplant them to similar ships/mercantile backgrounds.

Tvtyrant
2019-07-08, 05:38 PM
I love the Admiral of the High Seas book, and I'm using it as somewhat of an optional route for my players, but I realized there's no mention of cargo that I can find, important for mercantilism. Perhaps I could extrapolate from the passengers carried, but that's not clear either. Anyone know of errata or FAQ about how much cargo different size ships hold? Even house rules would be appreciated.

Depends on the era you are imitating. A medieval cog carried about 200 tons, for instance, and Viking ships meant for cargo the two centuries before the cog carried 24 tons. Later ships would be much better sailing but stay at 200 tons until the Galleon.

Alistaroc
2019-07-08, 06:25 PM
Your best bet would look up historical numbers and transplant them to similar ships/mercantile backgrounds.

Depends on the era you are imitating. A medieval cog carried about 200 tons, for instance, and Viking ships meant for cargo the two centuries before the cog carried 24 tons. Later ships would be much better sailing but stay at 200 tons until the Galleon.
What would most closely match a Pathfinder world? You say a Cog carried 200 tons, but the pfsrd galleon only carries 150 tons, so I'm not sure how to make an analog.

Tvtyrant
2019-07-08, 06:30 PM
What would most closely match a Pathfinder world? You say a Cog carried 200 tons, but the pfsrd galleon only carries 150 tons, so I'm not sure how to make an analog.

I can't say for sure, but I believe Pathfinder tends towards magipunk/Early Modern Period, so the size can be quite enormous. The Manilla Galleons started out in the Sixteenth Century carrying 2,000 tons of cargo and 500 people, so ships could be quite enormously large if needed.

I would take the price of the pfsrd galleon and say each additional 10 tons adds another crew member and 1,000GP to the price.