PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Name that (cat) Familiar!

Lord Torath
2019-07-08, 01:58 PM
My Studious WizardTM is getting a cat for a familiar. Help me come up with a clever name for him/her, and I'll give you a cookie!

The cat's abilities include being extra good at hiding and being quiet, nimble, and hard to hit (okay, these are normal qualities of house cats), and good at distracting opponents and getting them to drop what they're holding.

Clever, funny/punny, and relatively easy to say.

Thanks!

Berenger
2019-07-08, 01:59 PM
Grimalkin. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimalkin)

hymer
2019-07-08, 02:09 PM
Jennifur, Butch Catsidy, Catniss Everclean, Santa Claws, Catpernicus, Just Kitten, Clawdia.

iTreeby
2019-07-08, 02:10 PM
"What's your name,' Coraline asked the cat. 'Look, I'm Coraline. Okay?'
'Cats don't have names,' it said.
'No?' said Coraline.
'No,' said the cat. 'Now you people have names. That's because you don't know who you are. We know who we are, so we don't need names."

From Coroline by Neil Gaimon

hamishspence
2019-07-08, 02:26 PM
Claude.aaaaa

Spore
2019-07-08, 02:38 PM
Kitty McKittyface.

Lord Torath
2019-07-08, 02:56 PM
Kitty McKittyface.:sigh:

Clever, funny/punny, and relatively easy to say.No Cookie for you! :smalltongue:

Particle_Man
2019-07-08, 03:11 PM
Oliver, in honour of my 18 year old kitty that I took to the vet to be euthanized today.

Segev
2019-07-08, 03:11 PM
Hela, after a goddess of death. She's particularly deadly to small, weak things, like rodents, commoners, and first level wizards.

Also, she's Hela Kitty.

sktarq
2019-07-08, 03:24 PM
*Kiba
*Kitler (if it has a stash mark)

Neko
Koshka
Piseag-for those with a more blue joke sense of humour
Piscin
mačka
*Kisa (also Kissa)

most of which are just Cat or Kitten via google translate

*are cats I have lived with

other options are plays of the character's name/theme
if your character is a ninja-wizard or the like and uses "shadow" as your theme....well your cat is following you around and is mostly distracting/can't be hit...the cat is like your shadow....which if you are a shadow is a shadow of a shadow...or "S2"
and as familiar lots of "he/she is my shadow jokes work)
if your wizard is into fire...names like Ash, Ember, Hotspot etc
If your character's name is John call him Nny (introductions should be fun and run into each other) or Little John (again you get a theme I'm going for and run with it)

also if you want a darker theme implying your familiar is the classic connection to the devil of RW witch theory you can make plays off various Devil/archfiend names....make some super cutsie version of the most feared archfiends in the cannon...
Orci-pie
Grazz'fuzzt
Many-To-pheles (if has extra toes)
Demigorgon-(she gives such mean haughty looks! and is so little!)
Asmotwo (and do the classic American thing of pronouncing t's as d's)
or Beshiba (Bashaba) (the FR goddess of mischief)

final group of ideas draws its humour from being so totally inappropriate in power level....feel free to be very meta
name the familiar after something epic it could never hope to live up to and whose personality does not match....

Nobanion (the FR Cat god-especially if scardy cat)
Malar (if very cute)
Wyrm, Smaug, etc (or the name of prominent dragon in the given setting)

Cygnia
2019-07-08, 03:35 PM
Mystery (https://cheezland.org/2018/04/caption-me-mystery-2/)

Maybe I'm biased towards that name...:smallbiggrin:

MrSandman
2019-07-08, 04:16 PM
Boss
and some other characters

Âmesang
2019-07-08, 07:28 PM
Thackery Binx.

…or Lenin's Tomb.

Coventry
2019-07-08, 07:39 PM
An earlier "name my cat" thread (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527703-Help-me-name-my-cat-pictures-inside) that may be worth reviewing.

I am still a fan of "Mephisto-fleas", although I did not originate that name.

Spore
2019-07-08, 10:11 PM
Mystery (https://cheezland.org/2018/04/caption-me-mystery-2/)

Maybe I'm biased towards that name...:smallbiggrin:

Jeez that "cat speak" almost gave me an aneurysm. I thought hoped that died with the 2006 era I can haz cheezburger-cats.

Lord Torath
2019-07-09, 07:56 AM
Oliver, in honour of my 18 year old kitty that I took to the vet to be euthanized today.:smallfrown: My sorrow for yours. That's never a fun thing to have to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Lots of clever and funny suggestions!

Hela is pretty cool, but I really don't think Hela Kitty fits the tone.

I like Kiba. Kisa also.

Mystery is adorable. I'm getting a cat IRL soon, and I hope it's at least half as cute as Mystery. :smallsmile:

I may go with Akora, which is a variant on a Goddess of Lightning in some culture and language I no longer recall.

Mephisto-fleas is hilarious, but I think I'll pass. Hopefully I can keep my cat flea-free!

Bashaba is also pretty cool sounding.

jintoya
2019-07-13, 01:42 PM
My Studious WizardTM is getting a cat for a familiar. Help me come up with a clever name for him/her, and I'll give you a cookie!

The cat's abilities include being extra good at hiding and being quiet, nimble, and hard to hit (okay, these are normal qualities of house cats), and good at distracting opponents and getting them to drop what they're holding.

Thanks!

I'd name it after a useful or scary creature.
The cat named "dog" is always a good one

Wuzza
2019-07-13, 02:10 PM
Boots. (as in Puss in Boots)

Coventry
2019-07-13, 03:16 PM
The cat named "dog" is always a good one

Or a bird familiar named "Coyote" (after the Navajo Trickster Spirit)?

erikun
2019-07-13, 05:41 PM
Summons

Just think about it. When your obviously spell-casting wizard yells out, "Summons, go after that archer!" and they're suddenly harassed by a black creature from out of nowhere, how are they likely to react? Chances are likely that they will be pulling out the Dispels and the Protection spells as opposed to pulling out the nets to try to catch a mundane animal. Plus, unless your wizard is shy about being known for magic in town, it can impress the locals when they call Summons out to meet people.

Bohandas
2019-07-13, 06:05 PM
Cheezburger

also if you want a darker theme implying your familiar is the classic connection to the devil of RW witch theory you can make plays off various Devil/archfiend names....make some super cutsie version of the most feared archfiends in the cannon...
Orci-pie
Grazz'fuzzt
Many-To-pheles (if has extra toes)
Demigorgon-(she gives such mean haughty looks! and is so little!)
Asmotwo (and do the classic American thing of pronouncing t's as d's)
or Beshiba (Bashaba) (the FR goddess of mischief)

Meowzebub

Jay R
2019-07-14, 11:20 AM
Flerken.
getting around the rule about length of post

Cygnia
2019-07-14, 11:55 AM
Flerken.
getting around the rule about length of post

The friendly local comic shop's cat cosplayed as Goose when Captain Marvel came out. :smallbiggrin:

SimonMoon6
2019-07-14, 05:22 PM
I had a cat named Pat once. That's not particularly extraordinary, but after I got to know her better, her name expanded out to become: Princess Patricia, the Phantom Ninja.

Another cat name that wouldn't be out of place in a D&D game is the name I gave to a dark hued cat that I met one night. She came to my door, emaciated from lack of food. I fed her and she started following me everywhere. So, I thought, what's a good name for something that's dark, thin, and follows me everywhere. I instantly knew that I had to name her Shadow. Not particularly clever or interesting, but there you go.

Lemmy
2019-07-14, 10:04 PM
Sir Pounce-a-lot.

Alhallor
2019-07-15, 06:59 AM
The two mages with cat familiars I played had

1. Dice (because I found it absolutely funny for some reason.)

and

2. Bastet (because egyptian goddesses definitely had to be honored more.)

Malphegor
2019-07-16, 01:47 PM
My immefiate thought is from the Disney’s Tarzan tv series: “Commodore Fluffypaws.”

Bohandas
2019-07-16, 03:10 PM
Nolegs, after the cat from "Epic Battle Fantasy"

Excession
2019-07-17, 10:49 PM
Chomusuke, after the "cat" from Konosuba.

Pex
2019-07-18, 11:11 AM
Schrodinger

Cygnia
2019-07-18, 12:30 PM
There is also something to be said for "You", if you've read any Discworld.:smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2019-07-19, 10:11 PM
Xylophone.

False God
2019-07-20, 02:06 PM
Thackery Binx.

Little surprised this didn't get listed earlier.

While we're at it: Salem.

Celestia
2019-07-20, 02:56 PM
Don Fluffles.

Agrippa
2019-07-20, 04:08 PM
Pyewacket is always a good choice as a familiar's name. That or a black tomcat with a white muzzle and paws named Morgana who thinks he's human boy trapped in cat form.

Vknight
2019-07-20, 07:39 PM
The cats name shall be... Gloria

Bohandas
2019-07-22, 12:29 AM
Mungojerrie

Segev
2019-07-22, 10:11 AM
That or a black tomcat with a white muzzle and paws named Morgana who thinks he's human boy trapped in cat form.

This sounds like an oddly specific reference. What's it from? (Esp. with "Morgana" being a girl's name applied to a boy cat who thinks he's a human boy.)

Gideon Falcon
2019-07-22, 08:44 PM
Ooh! I have one!

...wait...

relatively easy to say.

easy to say

...Okay, I got nothing. I was gonna start listing obscure cool-sounding biblical names, like Onesiphorus, but I have a very different definition of 'easy to say' than most people.

Agrippa
2019-07-23, 01:10 AM
This sounds like an oddly specific reference. What's it from? (Esp. with "Morgana" being a girl's name applied to a boy cat who thinks he's a human boy.)

I'm talking about this (https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Morgana) Morgana. He can also turn into a van and teaches the main character how to manufacture lock picks, smoke bombs, homemade explosives and other adventurer goodies. He also yells at you to go to bed, which has become a rather infamous series of jokes, with his voice actor Cassandra Lee Morris giving her good-humored response (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKc-YXVBhM).

Segev
2019-07-23, 10:02 AM
I'm talking about this (https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Morgana) Morgana. He can also turn into a van and teaches the main character how to manufacture lock picks, smoke bombs, homemade explosives and other adventurer goodies. He also yells at you to go to bed, which has become a rather infamous series of jokes, with his voice actor Cassandra Lee Morris giving her good-humored response (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKc-YXVBhM).

Ah. I know very little about Persona 5, and get details from 3 and 4 mixed up all the time, as I only know any of them peripherally. (Weirdly, I'm more familiar with Nocturn and Digital Devil Saga, because those are what my housemates played in college. I say "weirdly" because I know the Persona series is generally better-known.)

However, "a cat familiar who claims to be a human boy transformed into a cat" would be ideal for the changeling familiar (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/animal-companion-feats/changeling-familiar-animal-companion-feat/) feat. If you don't have another means of getting it the Change Shape ability, you can use the shapeless familiar (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/animal-companion-feats/shapeless-familiar-animal-companion-feat/) feat as a prerequisite. Shapeless familiar is poorly named, though: it only grants one alternate animal form to the familiar. So you'd have to pick some other familiar animal type for your cat to have in addition to being a cat before he could start turning into a human boy.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-25, 05:14 AM
Some college friends of mine had a cat named Itty Bitty Kitty. She weighed about 20 pounds.

Mutazoia
2019-07-26, 09:33 PM
Neko-bus (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwidzfjZh9TjAhUPVK0KHXRMCP0QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNeko-Cat-Bus-My-Neighbour-Totoro-101204922113%2Fposts&psig=AOvVaw0Sztu8FdowIlw1NijWoszy&ust=1564281161808811)(although it may need a few extra legs)

Sunface
2019-07-26, 10:56 PM
Registered just for this. My personal favorite has always been Conway Kitty.

You could also go with Cat Sajak. Especially if he could have a little girlfriend, Vanna Bite.

Cazero
2019-07-27, 02:45 AM
Just call it 'master' like you know you should.
You're not worthy of learning your cat's name anyway.

M Placeholder
2019-07-27, 05:50 AM
Considering what cats do most of the time, Atonic would be the most fitting name.

ATHATH
2019-07-28, 03:36 AM
Mr. Mistoffelees, as a reference to (Old Possum's Book of Practical) Cats: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mistoffelees

mucat
2019-07-28, 05:17 PM
who thinks he's human boy trapped in cat form.
"That would be a net downgrade from being a cat."

- A cat

Squire Doodad
2019-07-28, 05:21 PM
Floofmeister.

Le Gran Floof.

Krosp.

Momo.

Ailurial. (Ailuro means Cat)

Floofclaw.

Commoner's Bane.

The Baller.

Lord Tailor.

Fuzzchia.

Cygnia
2019-07-29, 08:26 AM
Allergen and Histamine

Or Coma

farothel
2019-07-29, 08:56 AM
Mr. Mistoffelees, as a reference to (Old Possum's Book of Practical) Cats: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mistoffelees

And according to this, all cats have three names. a name everyone knows, one only cats know and one secret one nobody knows.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-29, 09:21 AM
Allergen and Histamine

Or Coma

Coma is a bit too far.

Segev
2019-07-29, 10:42 AM
Truly, the naming of cats is a difficult matter.

HouseRules
2019-07-29, 03:12 PM
"That would be a net downgrade from being a cat."

- A cat

Obviously "Cats in humanoid wizard form" is also a downgrade from being a cat.

P.S. Are "micro cats" "mirco sized"? or does "mu" have a different meaning?

On Topic:
Skitty Wailord.
Get the joke.

Archpaladin Zousha
2019-07-29, 11:11 PM
Truly, the naming of cats is a difficult matter.
I mean, it isn't just one of your holiday games. :smalltongue:

Psykenthrope
2019-07-30, 02:20 AM
Messerfuus. English approximation of Knifefoot in German.

mucat
2019-08-07, 10:00 PM
P.S. Are "micro cats" "mirco sized"? or does "mu" have a different meaning?
In this case, mu is the coefficient of friction. It's from a corny old physics joke:

A guy visits his local animal shelter, hoping to adopt a pet. A lot of the cats and dog there catch his eye, but there's one little cat who seems to adore the guy on first sight, though oddly, it never makes a sound.

"That cat was born without vocal cords," the veterinarian explains. "He'll never have a voice, but other than that he's perfectly healthy."

The guy adopts the cat on the spot. A few days later, the shelter vet phones him to check on the new kitty. "Everything's great," he tells her. "The cat's eating well, he seems happy...just one thing worries me. He's fine on carpet, but every time he runs onto a smooth floor, he just slides across it like it's slick ice, and crashes into the far wall."

"Oh," says the vet, "I guess I should have warned you about that. I figured you would expect it."

"Why would I expect something like that?" he asks.

"Well," she replies, "you did pick the cat with no mew."

darkrose50
2019-08-08, 10:18 AM
Fluffy: The World Hammer

HouseRules
2019-08-08, 10:26 AM
Fluffy: The World Hammer

Grab a cat by it's hind legs and slamming it like a war hammer is bad.
Grab by its tail is worst.

P.S. Off Topic.
So mew sounds like mu.

farothel
2019-08-08, 11:25 AM
Blofeld (the white cat was not named, but you can Always name yours after its boss).

Maglubiyet
2019-08-08, 06:48 PM
Goblin

Should cause some confusion.

Vknight
2019-08-08, 08:41 PM
Goblin

Should cause some confusion.

But then you'll want to kill the cat or why not Gnoblime