PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Radiant (Class, PEACH)

Chronologist
2019-07-08, 04:58 PM
So, I have mostly finished a homebrew base class for D&D 5th Edition. I call it The Radiant (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry7jF7xx-H). It's heavily inspired by Selinia's Tome of Radiance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258654-Tome-of-Radiance-Mastering-the-Power-of-Love-and-Justice) but draws inspiration from many other sources, including 5E's Fighter, Warlock, and Beastmaster Ranger. Rather than post the whole class here (since any edits would be made on the Homebrewery page), I think it's best if I sort of explain what the Radiant is and does, and why I designed it that way.

The Radiant is, unabashedly, a class made to fit the Magical Girl style of character, but it's more than that. It's a way to achieve that archetype while having low complexity but high effectiveness. The Radiant has no spell slots, no class resource, and no abilities that require a long-rest to regain. All of their limited use abilities are regained on a short rest or whenever they roll for initiative. This also fits the theme of their powers - radiant energy is motion, life, and progress incarnate. it's not in a Radiant's nature to stand still or wait around, thus their powers return to them very quickly. My goal with this class is for it to be easy for new players to use while still giving them a few really interesting abilities and options.

The Radiant has four main features, and each exists to further the 'fantasy' of the Magical Girl archetype. At 1st level their Raiment class feature lets a Radiant banish and summon their gear at a moment's notice, much like a transformation sequence. Their Order, chosen at 1st level, determines how they fight best - with weapons, with blasts of magical energy, or with a loyal companion. Illuminations, gained at 2nd level and beyond, function much like a weaker version of a Warlock's Invocations, allowing for small upgrades and unique touches. Finally, their Dedication, chosen at 3rd level, determines whether they focus on offence, defence, or support during battle.

I would absolutely appreciate any feedback on the Radiant. Thank you.

Tiadoppler
2019-07-08, 06:12 PM
Snip

I haven't had time to really study the whole class yet, but here's my initial thoughts:

Name: Having a class that shares a name with another 5e term (Radiant damage) seems unnecessarily confusing. This is a very minor issue.

Order of the Stars + Sentinel + Dip into Warlock: So... Eldritch Blast is already really good, especially if you dip Warlock. Increasing Eldritch Blast's damage on top of that is... unnecessary. Be on the lookout for other multiclass options that will lead to overpowered combos.

This class seems like a fun concept that needs a bit of tweaking and an extra mechanic or two to make it more interesting to play. What's the focus/main unique mechanic of the class? The Regalia is a new mechanic, but it's not very fleshed out, and just gives passive bonuses.

Overall, it seems powerful (even overpowered), but not very interesting in combat (or out of combat). Like the Champion Fighter, most of its features are passive boosts rather than active abilities. I'm seeing a lot of +1 to this, +1 to that, and not a lot of tactical or strategic resources to use.

Another idea: this class could be rethought as a new Warlock patron, using that existing framework to develop the idea further until there's a more thorough class concept.

Edit:
I understand that your intent was to make a simple class to play, but I think you may have gone too far in adding passive, stacking bonuses. I worry that this class would be another Warlock: something for minmaxers to dip into for extra power. Take 1 level of Radiant and you get +1 AC, +1 weapon damage, and an extra bonus. Take 2 levels of Radiant and you get 2 passive boosts, some of which are as powerful as feats. I think that way too many multiclass builds would dip Warlock and Radiant, and go from there.

Chronologist
2019-07-08, 06:52 PM
Snip

Thank you for the feedback!

Name: Fair enough, let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't want to outright call it the Magical Girl because that's not explicitly what it is, and I do want a name that evokes its connection to positive energy.

Warlock Dip: I can specify that the bonus damage at 6th level from Order of the Stars doesn't stack with other effects that increase the damage of your cantrips. Alternatively, I could make the ability a class feature and not specifically the Eldritch Blast spell, which would definitely prevent it from stacking. That's a good thing to pick up on, I definitely don't want to make any of the class features abusable like that.

Being like the Champion Fighter: I agree with you somewhat. A Radiant with the Order of the Dawn and the Sentinel Dedication isn't too different from a Champion Fighter, that's true. However, the Radiant gets a huge hammerspace inventory, a bunch of Illuminations, and a 4E-style 'mark' ability that sets them apart. The other 'builds' end up being quite different from a Champion Fighter, however. As for it not having lots of tactical or strategic resources... that's the point. It's not meant to be a complicated class. It's not meant to have lots of resources to track and abilities to juggle.

Warlock Patron: I don't think that's what I'm looking to do here. I don't want this class to have spellcasting. The closest I think I would go would be cantrips and ritual casting.

What's the focus/main unique mechanic of the class?

The main focus of the class is to be a capable at-will damage dealer. They way you achieve that depends on your Order. If you choose Dawn, you do it like a Fighter by getting multiple Attacks with one Attack action, and getting bonus radiant damage to your first hit each round (like a War cleric kinda). If you choose Stars, you do it like a Warlock by blasting enemies with a powerful magical ranged attack. If you choose Dusk, you do it like a Beastmaster Ranger by fighting alongside your Familiar.

The unique mechanics of the class beyond that are:
- Regalia lets you store and equip multiple items at bonus action speed. That's incredibly helpful when you need to switch weapons, drink a potion, or otherwise use a magic item. It also makes it very hard for your stuff to get stolen or misplaced.
- Illuminations aren't anything new or crazy but they're simple, they're useful, and you get quite a few of them. They expand your options in and out of combat and, honestly, just give the player some fun stuff to play around with. They're intentionally designed to be weak
- Recharge on Initiative is probably the most unique mechanic. Very few classes gain access to features that recharge when they roll for initiative, and they're usually acquired at rather high levels. The Radiant gets that recharge feature immediately. In return, their abilities tend to have fewer uses or less of an impact than what those other classes might have. It's a neat way of letting them recharge faster than other classes without having to create a completely brand new mechanic for them.

I could see about making these unique mechanics more prominent, perhaps by making the Regalia have active abilities, increasing the strength/number of Illuminations, or making more abilities that recharge (such as one for the Sentinel in particular). That might reinforce the theme of the class. I want to achieve those while still keeping the focus on being a capable at-will damage dealer.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-09, 12:49 PM
I like it. There’s a lot of customization. The Eblast Stars Order is presently OP (by my reading at level 17 it’s dealing 3d10+Charisma 4 times. even without the Multiclassing concerns expressed upthread that’s a lot. at that point magic Initiate warlock for Hex would tip it into insanity.

I think the Order of the Moon’s Familiar rules need some clarity, familiars can’t normally cast cantrips. I’m also not sure how many times it attacks.

Order of the Stars + Sentinel + Dip into Warlock: So... Eldritch Blast is already really good, especially if you dip Warlock. Increasing Eldritch Blast's damage on top of that is... unnecessary. Be on the lookout for other multiclass options that will lead to overpowered combos.

This class seems like a fun concept that needs a bit of tweaking and an extra mechanic or two to make it more interesting to play. What's the focus/main unique mechanic of the class? The Regalia is a new mechanic, but it's not very fleshed out, and just gives passive bonuses.

Edit:
I understand that your intent was to make a simple class to play, but I think you may have gone too far in adding passive, stacking bonuses. I worry that this class would be another Warlock: something for minmaxers to dip into for extra power. Take 1 level of Radiant and you get +1 AC, +1 weapon damage, and an extra bonus. Take 2 levels of Radiant and you get 2 passive boosts, some of which are as powerful as feats. I think that way too many multiclass builds would dip Warlock and Radiant, and go from there.
I agree about limiting stacking bonuses of any sort but the stuff I’ve quoted above about Multiclassing I will disagree with.

You will never get anything accomplished by trying to balance your concept against the potential for Multiclassing. Fighter, Warlock, Wizard are all spectacular 2 level dips. But in my experience, no one worth playing with shows up to play a campaign with a whiteroom theory craft build to 20. Maybe to a minimum level to execute a concept, (my Skeletor Build needs 3 levels of Bard and 2 warlock, but beyond that I could go all of either.)

MUlticlassing rules are optional. If they are generally available at your table and you offer a class that you think is too strong when LEGOd just create a reason that one can’t.

The Beast Patron is greedy and withdraws its spells, patron abilities, and Pact boon if you pursue other avenues of power.

The spiritual balance necessary for the Undeath domain is too high for you to divide your focus without succumbing to the domain’s influence and becoming a mindless undead.

The rigorous daily training necessary to pursue the Brute fighter archetype prevents you from mastering the fundamentals necessary to pursue another class. You lose them gains to any other kind of training, you lose them features.

The Magical Girl life requires a single minded dedication to the craft. The distraction of trying to master the fundamentals of X, Y, and Z classes (where synergy creates a balance problem) would result in a loss of the basic elements of the Magical Girl class or a sacrifice of the personal connections that fuel your passion to complete your mission leading to a descent into insanity.

Plenty of ways to create something cool without sacrificing what you think makes it cool on the unattainable altar of balance.

Tiadoppler
2019-07-09, 02:36 PM
Name: Fair enough, let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't want to outright call it the Magical Girl because that's not explicitly what it is, and I do want a name that evokes its connection to positive energy.

Well, the Avenger class concept is pretty close, as a divinely empowered, highly damaging weapon user. You could go with that. Is there a reason that this class is only associated with positive energy? Could you have a "Dark Magical Girl" option for the class?

Warlock Dip: I can specify that the bonus damage at 6th level from Order of the Stars doesn't stack with other effects that increase the damage of your cantrips. Alternatively, I could make the ability a class feature and not specifically the Eldritch Blast spell, which would definitely prevent it from stacking. That's a good thing to pick up on, I definitely don't want to make any of the class features abusable like that.

I looked at the Radiant(Stars/Sentinel) 18/Warlock 2 option and thought "oh, good grief. Heavy armor with a stacking +3 to AC, and 12d10+52 damage at-will." Making a new class feature to replace Eldritch Blast might be a good idea for that reason alone.

Being like the Champion Fighter: I agree with you somewhat. A Radiant with the Order of the Dawn and the Sentinel Dedication isn't too different from a Champion Fighter, that's true. However, the Radiant gets a huge hammerspace inventory, a bunch of Illuminations, and a 4E-style 'mark' ability that sets them apart. The other 'builds' end up being quite different from a Champion Fighter, however. As for it not having lots of tactical or strategic resources... that's the point. It's not meant to be a complicated class. It's not meant to have lots of resources to track and abilities to juggle.

From levels 1-4, 6-10, and 14-19, Fighters and Dawn/Sentinel Radiants have the same number of attacks, and they deal about the same amount of damage per attack (not counting the Radiant's 1d8/2d8 boost), but the Radiant has much better defenses, and a host of other passive boosts.

Or, to put it another way, Champion Fighters only advantage, when compared to Dawn/Sentinel Radiants is a few ASIs and that at levels 5, 11-13, and 20, they have an extra attack compared to that Radiant build. The Champion Fighter is a decently well-balanced class: it's simple, but reasonably powerful. Dawn/Sentinel being 'Champion, but more powerful and versatile in many ways' renders the Champion obsolete, which is bad form for building a new character class.

The unique mechanics of the class beyond that are:
- Regalia lets you store and equip multiple items at bonus action speed. That's incredibly helpful when you need to switch weapons, drink a potion, or otherwise use a magic item. It also makes it very hard for your stuff to get stolen or misplaced.
- Illuminations aren't anything new or crazy but they're simple, they're useful, and you get quite a few of them. They expand your options in and out of combat and, honestly, just give the player some fun stuff to play around with. They're intentionally designed to be weak
- Recharge on Initiative is probably the most unique mechanic. Very few classes gain access to features that recharge when they roll for initiative, and they're usually acquired at rather high levels. The Radiant gets that recharge feature immediately. In return, their abilities tend to have fewer uses or less of an impact than what those other classes might have. It's a neat way of letting them recharge faster than other classes without having to create a completely brand new mechanic for them.

I could see about making these unique mechanics more prominent, perhaps by making the Regalia have active abilities, increasing the strength/number of Illuminations, or making more abilities that recharge (such as one for the Sentinel in particular). That might reinforce the theme of the class. I want to achieve those while still keeping the focus on being a capable at-will damage dealer.

Several things about this class has been bugging me.

First: It doesn't use Charisma much. It's binary: Either you take Order of the Stars/Moon and you're using Charisma for your basic attacks, or you take Order of the Dawn, and Charisma is basically a dump stat. I could imagine playing Order of the Dawn with a Charisma of 6 or 8, because you still get to have your 2 Regalia slots by level 3-4. Charisma isn't important for Regalia, because you get +1 Regalia per level, and you only need 2 for the passive boosts. None of the Dedications utilize Charisma well: It's only used by Sentinel at level 20!

Second: Beacon is boring. You get to distribute 1-2 bardic inspirations to your friends every battle is very flavorful for power-of-friendship type stuff, but not very powerful. Illumination Mastery is bad because this class is not at all stingy with with Illuminations. Beacon is a good choice if you're doing a 3 level dip into Radiant for the extra Illumination.

Third: Sentinel grants too much defensive bonus. A permanent, stacking +2 -> +3 bonus to AC does not play nicely with 5e's bounded accuracy, especially when combined with an easy way to grab Heavy Armor Proficiency.

Fourth: Valkyrie is better than Battlemaster Fighter at Battlemastering. Valkyries learn the same number of maneuvers as Battlemaster Fighters, and regaining 2 superiority die per battle is better than 4 superiority die per short rest in many situations. Then it also gets immunity to a bunch of status effects on top of that.

> This class is extraordinarily front-loaded. That makes it really really good for a dip, especially for Charisma casters. Charisma casters do NOT need another great low-level dip. In the first 2 levels it gives Heavy Armor proficiency, Silent Regalia, Fortified Regalia, and an extra +1 to AC, making it the single best way to get heavy armor IN THE GAME. Then you take the Heavy Armor Mastery feat on top of that...

> Dawn/Sentinel = Champion Fighter, but tankier and more versatile, and roughly dealing roughly equal damage. So, Champion Fighter, but Better.

> Dawn/Valkyrie = Battlemaster Fighter, with immunities to tons of status effects, and you always have superiority die available for every battle, but you can't use as many superiority die in a battle. So, Battlemaster Fighter, but Better.

> Star/Sentinel = Heavy Armor Warlock, but even more insanely powerful EB spamming, +3 AC, and no other abilities. So a Warlock that's got absurd damage, amazing AC, good HP, and doesn't bother with spells.

> Moon/Sentinel = 3 attacks per round at level 7 (You Attack, Familiar attacks as part of your Attack action, then you order it to attack as a bonus action). With +3 ability modifiers, you're dealing 2d10+Your Weapon Die+15 damage at-will, and imposing disadvantage on most enemy attacks. Oh, and Heavy Armor++ too.

My suggestions:

Reduce Star's Eldritch Blast power, or swap out the EB cantrip for a special Radiant damage class feature attack.

Get rid of Regalia's +1 AC. Reduce Improved Regalia to +1 AC at level 7, +2 at level 15.

Think of some features for Beacon.

Reduce Valkyrie's superiority dice. Straight-up condition immunity should start around level 10, at least. Know Thyself is an even better version of Stillness of Mind (Monk 7), which is already great and useful.

Add level limits to the more powerful Illuminations. You should have to invest 5-9 levels in the class before you can pick up Heavy Armor Proficiency.

Order of the Moon is weird. It gives lots of attacks per turn at level 6, but then it doesn't do much else. Maybe improve the scaling a bit?

Edit: I agree with BerzerkerUnit's point on multiclassing being optional, and that you shouldn't try to balance everything for every possible multiclass, but I do think there's a few things to look out for: like dangerously overpowered combos, and things that would make a DM say "no, that's not coming to my table". In it's current state, I can see a few of each of those.

Chronologist
2019-07-09, 03:23 PM
The Eblast Stars Order is presently OP

Yep. So, I've changed the ability to clarify what the Order of the Stars is meant to give you. Here's what it looks like currently:

Order of the Stars
Radiant of the Stars are filled with starlight, itching to be released to smite their enemies. At 1st level you gain the Radiant Blast ability.

At 6th level, your Radiant Blast deals additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

At 10th level, your Radiant Blast deals 1d10 additional damage.

At 14th level, you learn one additional Illumination.

At 18th level, your Radiant Blast deals 1d10 additional damage.

Radiant Blast
You may spend an Action to make a ranged spell attack against a creature within 60 feet. If you hit, that creature suffers 1d10 radiant damage. The damage of this ability improves by 1d10 at 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 7th level (4d10).

The original intention was to give the Star Radiant a medium-range single target magical attack. By reformatting it this way it ensures that's what the character gets, and it prevents some multiclassing abuse. In addition, picking the Star Training illumination only gives you the Radiant Blast ability - you don't get any of the other benefits of the Order.

I think the Order of the Moon’s Familiar rules need some clarity, familiars can’t normally cast cantrips. I’m also not sure how many times it attacks.

You're right, and I've also clarified this ability. It now reads as such:

Order of the Moon
Radiant of the Moon are never alone, no matter how dark their destination might be. At 1st level you learn the Find Familiar spell as a Ritual and you ignore the material component cost to cast it. Your Familiar gains additional hit points equal to three times your Radiant level, and it regains all of its hit points when you take a short rest.

At 6th level, once per round as part of the Attack action or as a bonus action you may direct your Familiar to Attack a creature up to 5 feet away from it. Your Familiar's Attack bonus is your Proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. On a hit your Familiar deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage (as appropriate) equal to 1d10 + your Charisma modifier to that creature.

At 10th level, you may cast Find Familiar in one minute instead of one hour.

At 14th level, your Familiar's damage increases to 2d10 + your Charisma modifier.

At 18th level, you may cast Find Familiar as an action.

A Familiar cannot normally Attack, as listed in the spell's description. The 6th level Moon Radiant ability lets them command their familiar to Attack. They can do this once per round, either when they take the Attack action (as part of that action), or as a bonus action during their turn. That limit of once per round is now explicit.

Chronologist
2019-07-09, 03:49 PM
Well, the Avenger class concept is pretty close, as a divinely empowered, highly damaging weapon user. You could go with that. Is there a reason that this class is only associated with positive energy? Could you have a "Dark Magical Girl" option for the class?

Members of this class draw their powers directly from the positive energy plane. For more flavour on this, check out the Tome of Radiance, linked in my original post. I'm not changing the power source of this class to something like the god-empowered Avenger. I am however working on an Illumination that represents them falling into despair and drawing from the negative energy plane, shifting to necrotic damage and becoming a 'dark magical girl'.

Dawn/Sentinel being 'Champion, but more powerful and versatile in many ways' renders the Champion obsolete, which is bad form for building a new character class.

Noted, and I've adjusted them as follows:

Order of the Dawn
Radiant of the Dawn are warriors at heart, the first ones to leap into the fray and the last ones to retreat. At 1st level when you take a short rest or roll for initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to half your Radiant level plus your Charisma modifier.

At 6th level, when you take the Attack action you may make two Attacks instead.

At 10th level, the first successful attack you make each round deals an additional 1d6 radiant damage. This improves to 2d6 at 14th level and 3d6 at 18th level.

Now they don't directly compete with the Champion Fighter, since they lack heavy armour, have fewer base hit points, and don't get more than two attacks.

Several things about this class has been bugging me. First: It doesn't use Charisma much. Second: Beacon is boring. Third: Sentinel grants too much defensive bonus. Fourth: Valkyrie is better than Battlemaster Fighter at Battlemastering.

I'm working on overhauling the Dedications. Ideally they'll all use Charisma more, have unique features, and not mess with bounded accuracy much... but I can't promise they'll meet your standards when I'm finished.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-07-09, 04:58 PM
You're right, and I've also clarified this ability. It now reads as such:

Order of the Moon
Radiant of the Moon are never alone, no matter how dark their destination might be. At 1st level you learn the Find Familiar spell as a Ritual and you ignore the material component cost to cast it. Your Familiar gains additional hit points equal to three times your Radiant level, and it regains all of its hit points when you take a short rest.

At 6th level, once per round as part of the Attack action or as a bonus action you may direct your Familiar to Attack a creature up to 5 feet away from it. Your Familiar's Attack bonus is your Proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. On a hit your Familiar deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage (as appropriate) equal to 1d10 + your Charisma modifier to that creature.

At 10th level, you may cast Find Familiar in one minute instead of one hour.

At 14th level, your Familiar's damage increases to 2d10 + your Charisma modifier.

At 18th level, you may cast Find Familiar as an action.

A Familiar cannot normally Attack, as listed in the spell's description. The 6th level Moon Radiant ability lets them command their familiar to Attack. They can do this once per round, either when they take the Attack action (as part of that action), or as a bonus action during their turn. That limit of once per round is now explicit.

Alright, so if I’m reading this correctly:

Your Order is supposed to be largely focused on applying the familiar and earlier you referenced the beastmaster ranger as inspiration. Then you can’t really use the Familiar for more than scouting until level 6.

I’ve written several pet focused classes and subclasses (they always get a fair amount of criticism due to the inherent strength of bending the action economy. Whenever possible I balance against Necromancer). So I’m going to take a pass at this and point out some key elements.

Order of the Moon
Flavor text
At 1st level you learn the Find Familiar Spell. You cast this as a ritual and ignore the material component requirement. Once the form of your familiar is chosen it cannot be changed without the use of Moonlight Illuminations. Your familiar has its normal hit points plus 3 times your Light Hope (temp name) Level but otherwise uses the statistics presented in the Monster Manual. When you roll hitdice to heal during a short rest you can divide the result between you and your familiar.

When you roll initiative or as a bonus action you can direct your familiar to release its Aura which confers the following benefits:
-the Familiar begins to act on your initiative
-its AC becomes equal to 10+your Charisma modifier+your Proficiency bonus
-its size remains the same but enemies treat it as if it were medium when moving.
-it gains the following action:
Attack: Reach 5ft, Attack bonus equal to your Spell Attack, damage 1d10+Your Charisma modifier
-When you take the attack action you can have the familiar use one of its attacks in place of making your own.

The familiar’s Aura can remain unleashed for 1 minute or until you direct it to suppress the Aura as a bonus action. Your familiar must complete a short rest before it can release its Aura again.

Independent Familiar
Beginning 6th level you can direct the familiar to attack a single target as a bonus action. It will continue attacking the same target until the target is reduced to 0 hp, it’s dismissed, you direct it to attack a new target, or you tell it to stop as a bonus action. Additionally When you succeed on a save against an AoE effect your familiar suffers no effect.

10th level as written

14th as written andor a Share Spells feature

18th as written (effectively infinite Aura and HP, but the action requirement would make it less viable in a combat).

Moonlight Illuminations
(I think just breaking them up like this provides a little streamlining when you try to decide which to take. Dawnlight Illuminations and Starlight Illuminations can still be chosen instead, but this naming convention points you in the right direction. If you know Find Familiar from another source like Magic Initiate or Pact of the Chain, most of these still work.)

Waxing Healing
When you take a short rest in the company of your familiar, you add your Proficiency bonus to the result of each hit for you roll for healing.

Full Moon Companion
Requires: level 7
As a bonus action or when you don your regalia your familiar can become a form suitable as a steed. The DM is the final arbiter but suitable forms Giant Eagle, Allosaurus, Tiger, Dire Wolf, (pick an appropriate CR 2).

Waning Chicanery
Whenever the sun sets you can choose a new form for your familiar. Alternatively you can cast Find Familiar as a 10 minute ritual which allows you to choose a new form.

Eclipse Wing Ascension
Requires: 5th level
As a bonus action you can direct your familiar to grow wings until you dismiss them again as a bonus action. While so winged the Familiar has a fly speed of 40 ft or adds 20 ft to its fly speed.

New Moon Taunt
Hostile creatures that begin their turn within 10 ft of your familiar have disadvantage to attacks against targets other than you or your familiar until the end of their turn.

Sun Mirror Strike
Requires: 5th level
If your familiar hits the same target you do on your turn, its attack deals an additional 2d10 radiant damage.

———————-
As for core mechanics I’d probably give every Light Hope (temp name) extra attack at 5. I think that puts this one at a safe dpr. The auto attack at 6th probably puts it on par with a ranger using their spells. When ranger falls Behid they get access to conjure animals. Paladin would still blow it out of the water for a The first few rounds of a combat. Preventative healing by creating another target full of HP would be worth it.

Tiadoppler
2019-07-09, 05:28 PM
I am however working on an Illumination that represents them falling into despair and drawing from the negative energy plane, shifting to necrotic damage and becoming a 'dark magical girl'.

I shall watch your homebrew with great interest.

I'm working on overhauling the Dedications. Ideally they'll all use Charisma more, have unique features, and not mess with bounded accuracy much...

Great! I think that an Aura or two might fit in with the "Beacon" dedication quite well, maybe along with a Power-Of-Friendship style attack.

Friendship Blast: When you hit with an attack, you can declare that attack to be a Friendship Blast. A number of allies no greater than your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) can use their reactions to increase the damage of your Friendship Blast by 1d6 (or 1d8 or 1d10). A creature must be within 30 feet of you to use their reaction in this way. You regain the use of the feature when you take a short or long rest or roll initiative.

Basically, it's a 1/encounter smite that turns your friends' spare reactions into damage. Because of the potential power (+5d6) I'd put it somewhere up in the level 9+ range for class features.

but I can't promise they'll meet your standards when I'm finished.

:smallbiggrin: I don't have standards: I have opinions and a big mouth.

Edit: just to make it clear, I like your concept, and respect the work you put into the homebrew. That's why I'm posting criticisms and suggestions: because I want your homebrew to be balanced and mechanically interesting.

skaeren
2019-07-17, 07:38 PM
There's some nice work here

Tenebrae_
2022-11-01, 11:09 PM
Sadly, the link in the description appears not to work. Is there a fresh version somewhere?