PDA

View Full Version : (War Dog) its a title not a name

DnDude
2019-07-08, 09:11 PM
IDEA: Wood Elf - Scout Sniper build
Fighter archer or Kensei monk archer
Free 1st level feat (Elven Accuracy)
Rolled #s 17-15-15-14-14-12
Scout background (wiki Hbrew) = medicine & survival proficiency, one language, herbalist supplies & field smithing tools, and (lay of the land) as an Intell gathering/squad briefing feature.
IDEAS: fighter might even MC rogue for assassin but, would a monk MC anything?
IDEALS: Accurate ranged damage per round and evasion to avoid capture, AC and HP's for close encounters.

Please any insight or suggestions to build like this?

bid
2019-07-09, 12:13 AM
Scout background (wiki Hbrew) = medicine & survival proficiency, one language, herbalist supplies & field smithing tools, and (lay of the land) as an Intell gathering/squad briefing feature.
It's 2 languages+tools, not 3. Read p125, Customizing a Background.

Arkhios
2019-07-09, 12:54 AM

Although... OP did say "wiki Hbrew" which I deduced to mean "DnDWiki Homebrew". IF true, there's one thing that's like a red flag to me, personally: DnDWiki is notorious for housing unbalanced homebrew.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-09, 01:04 AM

It is Homebrew, which means it is not by the role, maybe based on them.

If the DM allow this then it is ok.

DnDude
2019-07-09, 07:01 AM
Homebrewed backgrounds vary somewhat. I'll trim it down to fit standards of the game before submitting this character to our DM..
Honestly the background is the least of my concerns. Fighter or Monk for such a build? I've not played either class in 5e.
As always, thank u for input.

DnDude
2019-07-09, 07:09 AM
Although... OP did say "wiki Hbrew" which I deduced to mean "DnDWiki Homebrew". IF true, there's one thing that's like a red flag to me, personally: DnDWiki is notorious for housing unbalanced homebrew.
Thanks Arkhios, would you consider a fighter or a kensei monk best for this build?

DnDude
2019-07-09, 07:12 AM

Yes I see, thanks for that. Any experience playing either class?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-09, 07:27 AM
Fighter is like:
I am crazy good at dealing damage.

Monk is like:
I am pick and choose control(very tactical).

That I see it.

Do you have anything more specific?

What are your goals? How do you normally play? How do you fight?

Edit:
For an archer I will go with fighter or a rogue/ranger.
There is one monk(Kensei) I know that work good as an archer but not as good as the fighter.

I like the champ fighter but the BM can be nice for control and the EK can be nice(spells).

DnDude
2019-07-09, 09:55 AM
Fighter is like:
I am crazy good at dealing damage.

Monk is like:
I am pick and choose control(very tactical).

That I see it.

Do you have anything more specific?

What are your goals? How do you normally play? How do you fight?

Edit:
For an archer I will go with fighter or a rogue/ranger.
There is one monk(Kensei) I know that work good as an archer but not as good as the fighter.

I like the champ fighter but the BM can be nice for control and the EK can be nice(spells).

I'm trying to build a scout medic sniper, from one class even if unorthodox.
I tend to play back lines supporting roles mostly.
Also non caster this time.

DnDude
2019-07-09, 10:05 AM

Our party of 5 doesn't have a Cleric,bard,or druid. We have a wizard, sorcerer, fighter and rogue.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-09, 01:12 PM

I think the best Snipers in 5e are Rogues. They take one shot, and if it hits it does very high damage. Fighters are more about making lots of attacks, and monks are more about moving past the front line to lock down enemy spellcasters and Big Bad Guys.

Assassin and Scout could both make great Snipers, but Thief with the Healer feat can heal as a bonus action making them an awesome non-spellcasting battlefield medic.

Crgaston
2019-07-09, 07:30 PM
I think the best Snipers in 5e are Rogues. They take one shot, and if it hits it does very high damage. Fighters are more about making lots of attacks, and monks are more about moving past the front line to lock down enemy spellcasters and Big Bad Guys.

Assassin and Scout could both make great Snipers, but Thief with the Healer feat can heal as a bonus action making them an awesome non-spellcasting battlefield medic.

Yep, this.

A Battlemaster with 3 levels of Thief Rogue and the Healer feat makes an awesome combat medic. You can heal for 1d6+4+level from the feat, and do it as a Bonus Action from the Thief's Fast Hands ability. You can take 3 levels of Rogue and focus on Fighter for more attacks and Maneuvers, or you can stay at Fighter 3 and keep pushing your Sneak Attack and Rogue features. There's not really a bad way to build a Fighter/Rogue. You can just alternate levels and end up with something good every level up.