PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aptitude

Vrock Bait
2019-07-09, 02:57 AM
In Tome of Battle, there’s a +1 enchantment called aptitude, which allows you to change a feat specifying one type of weapon to fit another. What I’m wondering is, is there a equivalent of aptitude for class features?

Edit: Some clarification. I’m trying to make a build where certain weapons are probably best for it, but at the same time there’s a prestige class I want that requires certain other weapons. I’d heard about aptitude shenanigans, but cracking open my copy of ToB I see that it explicitly works exclusively with feats.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 05:39 AM
1st Level Warblade gets it, provided they spend 1 hour practicing with the desired weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-09, 10:14 AM
In Tome of Battle, there’s a +1 enchantment called aptitude, which allows you to change a feat specifying one type of weapon to fit another. What I’m wondering is, is there a equivalent of aptitude for class features?Do you mean, "is there a way to alter class features so they affect different weapon types?" Or are you asking if there's a class feature that grants the aptitude ability?

The second is the warblade's 1st level ability, as PraxisVetli stated.

I don't know of any way to make aptitude affect class features.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 10:27 AM
Do you mean, "is there a way to alter class features so they affect different weapon types?" Or are you asking if there's a class feature that grants the aptitude ability?

The second is the warblade's 1st level ability, as PraxisVetli stated.

I don't know of any way to make aptitude affect class-features.

You know, until you pointed it out, I never would've read it that way.
Assuming Vrock Bait (huhaha) is referring to a class feature that specifies a weapon, and they'd like it to affect a different weapon, the enchantment would probably be better, and could be run past a lenient DM.

Vrock Bait
2019-07-09, 08:30 PM
Do you mean, "is there a way to alter class features so they affect different weapon types?" Or are you asking if there's a class feature that grants the aptitude ability?

The former.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-09, 08:56 PM
The former.Hmm.

The warblade.

Illithid savant (eat a warblade).

...and that's all I've got. Though you could always get a sizing/morphing/metalline/skillful/aptitude weapon to have any weapon at any time (and always be proficient with it).

Thurbane
2019-07-09, 09:20 PM
Do note that the Aptitude weapon quality is a bit more open-ended in its wording that the Warblade's Weapon Aptitude ability.

The weapon quality has more wiggle room for working with things like Lightning Mace or Boomerang Daze, for example.

RNightstalker
2019-07-11, 06:25 PM
Aptitude doesn't allow you to change the feat, it makes the weapon qualify for a feat that is weapon specific. One of the biggest uses of the Aptitude enchantment is putting it on a high crit range weapon to pair it with Lightning Mace. So if you have TWF, Weapon Focus: Light Mace, and Lightning Mace, you can use those feats with ANY aptitude weapon. With a +1 Aptitude Scimitar, you get additional attacks any time you'd hit on an 18-20 on the die, vs. just a 20 with a light mace.