PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Effects

jesstheripper
2019-07-09, 06:59 AM
Hello all,

The endless decanter of wine has become a pillar in the story of my campaigns and I wanted to create decent rules for effects of it (and all alcohol).

So here we go:

Basically it is an increasingly difficult scale for drinks drunk within the hour, that last an hour per drink. They rely on a con save as well. It is:
Con 10+(tier squared)

Tier 1- DC 11 = advantage on strength charisma and constitution( including attack)

Tier 2- DC 14 = +1 st con cha - 1 int wis dex

Tier 3- DC 19= + 3 st con cha - 1 int wis dex

Tier 4 - DC 36= + 5 st con cha - 3 int wis dex

Etc.
Id love some criticism and ideas on tweaking the rule to be more balanced while retaining a loose focus on how alcohol works in reality. ( i.e. alcohol doesn't really make you stronger but it does loosen your restraint when it comes to exerting yourself physically, so the rules boost strength)

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-09, 03:29 PM
I like the idea of flaw/benefit, as long as it's level of complexity is within reason for your group of players. For almost everyone else I'd either suggest simple advantage/disadvantage, or reference existing rules to make it simpler. Whether I'd use saving throws or not would be based on playtesting. For my table for example, I'd use exhaustion:

Inebriation
Each hour spent at a tavern or inn carousing results in one level of Inebriation. Inebriation has the same effects as the Exhausted condition, but instead lasts for a maximum of 8 hours. When a character starts a long rest with more than one level of Inebriation, his Inebriation level is reduced to one at the end of the long rest.

Like I said, rules created for a specific group of people should always be evaluated solely on that group's experience and enjoyment of the rules, rather than the opinions of an outsider or consistency with other rules-as-written. Happy drinking ^^

Altair_the_Vexed
2019-07-10, 05:27 AM
Firstly, I'd say that the supposed bonus to Charisma - nope. It's a myth. Drunkeness just makes people more inclined to open up, it really doesn't make them more charismatic - quite the opposite!

Secondly, I doubt that CON & STR should be boosted either - maybe we could apply a Morale bonus to STR, and some temporary HP, but boosting stats will get you into trouble when it comes to saves vs the poison you are drinking - the more drunk you are, the more you can resist getting drunk? I don't think that's realistic at all.

Drinking should be mostly about penalties - especially mental penalties.

Anyway, that aside, I had some thoughts about this, for modelling the different strengths of different types of alcoholic drink.

I noticed that the normal measures for drinks approximates to two alcoholic units - the standard measure for alcohol used in the UK for various legal purposes.
i.e.: pint beer = standard glass wine = double measure of spirits = 2 units

I found that 10 units seems to be a kind of threshold for people being sick from drinking - and that got me thinking that your CON score in D&D etc would be a good benchmark for your alcohol units.

So, here was my take on it modelled for d20 / 3rd ed D&D - if you're using a different edition, bear in mind the saves should be fairly hard to beat - but not impossible.
At 0.5 x CON, you start to be impaired: make saves each time you drink, and again 20 minutes later. Fort save DC 20, failure results in -2 to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX.
At 1 x CON, you automatically take the lower level's penalties (-2 to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX), and risk nausea. Fort save DC 20, every time you drink, and 20 minutes after each drink - or gain the nauseated condition for 1 minute.
At 1.5 x CON, you risk becoming more impaired - each time you drink, and 20 minutes later: Fort DC 20 or take a -4 penalty to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you fall unconscious. Additionally, make another Fort save DC 25, every time you drink, and 20 minutes after each drink - or gain the nauseated condition for 1 minute.
At 2 x CON, automatically apply the -4 penalties from the lower level, and make a save every 20 minutes: Fort DC 25 or become nauseated. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you fall unconscious.

One more thing - after 1 hour, a unit of alcohol is dissipated through your system, so you sober up gradually.

So a tough dwarf barbarian, with high saves and high CON can out-drink a skinny waif - as expected - but unless you're immune to poison, excessive drinking will catch up with you!

And NONE of it is beneficial, even if it feels fun at the time.

Zhorn
2019-07-10, 07:17 AM
Always keen on seeing what systems people will have for intoxication.

Stat boosting should generally be a no no since that's not how alcohol works.

A small amount of temporary hp could work as representing dulled senses and a greater tolerance to pain, though with the non-stacking nature of temporary hp, that could be a little messy.

this is the system I've been going with:

A character can consume a number of alcoholic drinks up to their constitution modifier (minimum 0) without suffering any effects.
For each size category above Medium, double this number, For Tiny creatures halve it instead.
Character who exceed this number are intoxicated for 6 hours.
Intoxicated characters have advantage against being Frightened, but have disadvantage on Intelligence and Dexterity ability checks.
Characters that consume additional alcohol while intoxicate must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 10) against becoming Poisoned. Each consecutive saving throw increases the DC by +2. The Poisoned condition persists until the character is no longer intoxicated.
A character that fails the saving throw by 5 or more falls Unconscious.

The design principle behind it being a poison save is so there's a mechanical backing behind the trope of dwarven folk being good at drinking (Dwarven Resilience, PHB p 20)
Thinking it might make more sense to apply disadvantage to Wisdom instead of Intelligence, being Insight and Perception are Wisdom skills, but I've heard some pretty wise and profound things from drunk people, so not too sure yet.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-10, 07:22 AM
Temporary hit points sounds like a sweet idea

jesstheripper
2019-07-11, 08:42 PM

I like it! Maybe character level + con modifier? That way youd get a gradual boost to keep it relevant in higher levels?

jesstheripper
2019-07-11, 08:44 PM

I like the idea of flaw/benefit, as long as it's level of complexity is within reason for your group of players. For almost everyone else I'd either suggest simple advantage/disadvantage, or reference existing rules to make it simpler. Whether I'd use saving throws or not would be based on playtesting. For my table for example, I'd use exhaustion:

Inebriation
Each hour spent at a tavern or inn carousing results in one level of Inebriation. Inebriation has the same effects as the Exhausted condition, but instead lasts for a maximum of 8 hours. When a character starts a long rest with more than one level of Inebriation, his Inebriation level is reduced to one at the end of the long rest.

Like I said, rules created for a specific group of people should always be evaluated solely on that group's experience and enjoyment of the rules, rather than the opinions of an outsider or consistency with other rules-as-written. Happy drinking ^^

Ah yeah, i forgot the fail means you do an inebriation roll, and ends your attempts at bonuses. I like your ideas about inebriation and the rest, goin for a hangover effect!

jesstheripper
2019-07-11, 08:51 PM
Always keen on seeing what systems people will have for intoxication.

Stat boosting should generally be a no no since that's not how alcohol works.

A small amount of temporary hp could work as representing dulled senses and a greater tolerance to pain, though with the non-stacking nature of temporary hp, that could be a little messy.

this is the system I've been going with:

A character can consume a number of alcoholic drinks up to their constitution modifier (minimum 0) without suffering any effects.
For each size category above Medium, double this number, For Tiny creatures halve it instead.
Character who exceed this number are intoxicated for 6 hours.
Intoxicated characters have advantage against being Frightened, but have disadvantage on Intelligence and Dexterity ability checks.
Characters that consume additional alcohol while intoxicate must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 10) against becoming Poisoned. Each consecutive saving throw increases the DC by +2. The Poisoned condition persists until the character is no longer intoxicated.
A character that fails the saving throw by 5 or more falls Unconscious.

The design principle behind it being a poison save is so there's a mechanical backing behind the trope of dwarven folk being good at drinking (Dwarven Resilience, PHB p 20)
Thinking it might make more sense to apply disadvantage to Wisdom instead of Intelligence, being Insight and Perception are Wisdom skills, but I've heard some pretty wise and profound things from drunk people, so not too sure yet.

I lifted the front end of someones car and pushed it off of the road and over a hill while drunk too. Im always that strong, but alcohol convinced me to try harder and push farther.

I like the input, but lets not lose sight of the risk vs reward element of this. Im not writing rules to theoretically punish fictional charecters in an imagination world, instead im creating a fun, dice rolly element to a classic environment in a table top game.

jesstheripper
2019-07-11, 09:05 PM
Firstly, I'd say that the supposed bonus to Charisma - nope. It's a myth. Drunkeness just makes people more inclined to open up, it really doesn't make them more charismatic - quite the opposite!

Secondly, I doubt that CON & STR should be boosted either - maybe we could apply a Morale bonus to STR, and some temporary HP, but boosting stats will get you into trouble when it comes to saves vs the poison you are drinking - the more drunk you are, the more you can resist getting drunk? I don't think that's realistic at all.

Drinking should be mostly about penalties - especially mental penalties.

Anyway, that aside, I had some thoughts about this, for modelling the different strengths of different types of alcoholic drink.

I noticed that the normal measures for drinks approximates to two alcoholic units - the standard measure for alcohol used in the UK for various legal purposes.
i.e.: pint beer = standard glass wine = double measure of spirits = 2 units

I found that 10 units seems to be a kind of threshold for people being sick from drinking - and that got me thinking that your CON score in D&D etc would be a good benchmark for your alcohol units.

So, here was my take on it modelled for d20 / 3rd ed D&D - if you're using a different edition, bear in mind the saves should be fairly hard to beat - but not impossible.
At 0.5 x CON, you start to be impaired: make saves each time you drink, and again 20 minutes later. Fort save DC 20, failure results in -2 to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX.
At 1 x CON, you automatically take the lower level's penalties (-2 to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX), and risk nausea. Fort save DC 20, every time you drink, and 20 minutes after each drink - or gain the nauseated condition for 1 minute.
At 1.5 x CON, you risk becoming more impaired - each time you drink, and 20 minutes later: Fort DC 20 or take a -4 penalty to INT, WIS, CHA, DEX. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you fall unconscious. Additionally, make another Fort save DC 25, every time you drink, and 20 minutes after each drink - or gain the nauseated condition for 1 minute.
At 2 x CON, automatically apply the -4 penalties from the lower level, and make a save every 20 minutes: Fort DC 25 or become nauseated. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you fall unconscious.

One more thing - after 1 hour, a unit of alcohol is dissipated through your system, so you sober up gradually.

So a tough dwarf barbarian, with high saves and high CON can out-drink a skinny waif - as expected - but unless you're immune to poison, excessive drinking will catch up with you!

And NONE of it is beneficial, even if it feels fun at the time.

Thanks for the input, and its great, but lets not lose focus on this being a fun game relying on risk vs reward.

I know strength comes from excercise and genetics not alcohol, but ive literally bent steel while drunk in an alcohol induced pride fueled contest of strength. Dumb? Yes. Cool? Yes! Would i have tried so hard sober? No i was sore for a while. Alcohol is also the cause of a couple phone books to be halved, a couple GREAT one liners and swooning women, and perseverence in far to many arm wrestling matches.

So, back to subject, id like to keep the focus on bonuses to strength con and charisma and the negatives to intelligence wisdom and dexterity for their obvious changes while drinking, be them superficial or mental or whatever.

I would also like to hear more about Fails, which honostly i will probably draw from your post to create! So thanks again!