PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creature with lots of racial HD and some defensive abilities but low CR

GrayDeath
2019-07-09, 08:33 AM
As the title says, I am looking for a creature (non construct, non undaed) with as many HD as possible with CR of 7-8 at most.
It would be ideal if they had one or more Immunities and/or Save Bonuses and above average AC to boot.
Actual Combat Capabilities or movement Abilities are secondary, as it is aimed to be the main Minion of a WIzard, who can give it lacking Flight/Boost it or somesuch.

It can under no cisrcumstances be resistant to mind affecting effects ( see Minion of the Wizard^^).
Otherwise, go wild.

I need it at the weekend, so Ill leave this thread open until friday evening GMT, then decide which suggestion I willt ake.

Thanks in advance!

MisterKaws
2019-07-09, 08:54 AM
Adult Steel Dragon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a) and Spellwarped Ettin are the highest I can find, at 19HD CR8. Of course, there's a lot of Undead that surpass that, and Constructs could be templated to hell to be stronger too.

Edit: my monster list erroneously listed Spellwarped Ettin at 19 but it's a typo. Just fixing it.

You could also use lower CR plants with HD advancement. They make good bruisers.

Arparrabiosa
2019-07-09, 11:24 AM
Nevermind.

MisterKaws
2019-07-09, 11:28 AM
Drowned has 20 HD at CR8 from Monster Manual III. Undead traits, CA 19 (+1 Dex, +8 natural, you can give then full plate if needed, though), 150 hp with fast healing 5, Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +12. Drowning aura is nasty.

He did say "non-construct, non-undead".

GrayDeath
2019-07-09, 12:26 PM
Yep, and also it cant be immune or even particularly resistant to mind affecting, so no plants, otherwise I`d have gone for a deadly rose bush ^^ :P

MisterKaws
2019-07-09, 01:07 PM
Well then, Steel Dragon I guess.

Though there's the problem with it having Sorcerer level 11 at CR 8 ಠ_ಠ