PDA

View Full Version : Making Blood Magic

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-07-09, 10:18 AM
For an NPC in the later part of my campaign, I want to make custom spells for him; I've done this many times before, and let players make their own with he rules given. This has never been a problem before, but I want people's input on the matter in terms of damage type and even help thinking of some?

For the most part, I dont care about "making" new spells for the NPC, but rather just "retexturing" the already existing ones.

I cant really see how something like Fireball could be retextured as blood, so some help please?

Also, the problem with this, is obviously the creatures need blood in order to be affected by most spells, unless he uses his own blood for an attack. This is a vampire btw, so he is dead, and doesn't have any blood flowing.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-09, 10:39 AM
For an NPC in the later part of my campaign, I want to make custom spells for him; I've done this many times before, and let players make their own with he rules given. This has never been a problem before, but I want people's input on the matter in terms of damage type and even help thinking of some?

For the most part, I dont care about "making" new spells for the NPC, but rather just "retexturing" the already existing ones.

I cant really see how something like Fireball could be retextured as blood, so some help please?

Also, the problem with this, is obviously the creatures need blood in order to be affected by most spells, unless he uses his own blood for an attack. This is a vampire btw, so he is dead, and doesn't have any blood flowing.

You could switch it from Fire damage to really any of the 3 'mundane' damage types. Either a burst of droplets doing Piercing/Bludgeoning depending on size, or great concentric rings for Slashing.
Really just the same as normal fireball, except and explosion of Blood, not Fire.
If you want to keep Fire damage, just have the blood be boiling. Fireball's fluff is you shoot a little ball that explodes, this could be a pressurized ball of boiling blood.
That explodes.

MisterKaws
2019-07-09, 10:56 AM
Spell Thematics takes care of all that, but according to PHB, you don't even need to use Spell Thematics to change the visual manifestation of a spell.

The sacrificial part is harder to mimic. The only think I know that even vaguely reminds me of it is the Blood Magus, but that's a pretty crap class.

For blood-themed spells, there's Blade of Blood(PHBII), Blood Snow(FB), Blood to Water(SpC), Bloodletting(CM), Bloodspear(CoR), Bloodstar(SpC, This one's really cool), Boiling Blood(CM), Burning Blood(SpC), Demonic Blood Infusion(GW, Useless for you), Fire in the Blood(HoH, useless for you) and Gelid Blood(FB). Those only include the spells that really remind me of blood, not all spells with blood in their name.

Also why the hell is there no blood domain? Blood magic has been a staple in fantasy for so long and Wizards didn't even bother to make a blood god.

Malphegor
2019-07-09, 11:04 AM
Also why the hell is there no blood domain? Blood magic has been a staple in fantasy for so long and Wizards didn't even bother to make a blood god.

Looks like Paizo eventually did it in Pathfinder, Advanced Player's guide, replaces the War Domain somehow? Granted power applies Wounding enchant to the weapon touched, the spells are largely vampiric touch and its equivalent higher level blood-related spells.

liquidformat
2019-07-09, 11:32 AM
Any acid could refluff well for blood, say it is demon/devil blood or something like that and require that as a material component. Freezing damage comes from stopping blood flow, burning from increasing it/ increasing their blood temp.

Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
Burning Rage (PHBII) just refluff as burning their blood
Fire In the Blood (HoH)
Blood in the Water (ToB, refluff as a spell or use it as is)
Fountain of Blood (ToB, refluff as a spell or use it as is)
Blood Wind (SS)
Beltyn's Burning Blood (UE)
Celestial Blood(BoED)
Demonic Blood Infusion (GW)
Blade of Blood(PHBII)
Cloud of Knives (PHBII, refluff using blood as a component to create a blood cloud and create iron blood knives to attack enemies with)
Stinking Cloud (refluff as a cloud of blood, the smell of which makes people sick)
Rage cloud (upgraded cloud of blood drives people into a rage and attack the nearest person)

Besides that there is blood bending from avatar which allows the caster to control other creatures by their blood. You could use blood bending as the basis for hold person/monster and also a variant on charm person/monster that is more like body snatching where you can control all of the person/monsters actions but it is based on concentration and not mind affecting. So in essence they are aware of what is going on but not in control of their own body as you have hijacked it.

Asmotherion
2019-07-09, 11:53 AM
Swich fire damage of the Fireball to Slashing (Magical) and reduce it's initial Damage by 2d6.

Visual: A tiny crimson sphere that drains the blood out of everything within it's range.

Alternatively you can have a 6th level AoE spell that deals 1 con damage per 1/4 your caster level (maximum 5) Fortitude negates.

Segev
2019-07-09, 12:03 PM
Avasculate and Avascular Mass (Spell Compendium) have the right flavor. You also could reflux the Necrotic spells in Libris Mortis. They are normally acquired via the Mother Cyst feat, but you could redo a lot of the Cyst influence to blood influence.

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-07-09, 07:27 PM

This has been one of the top concerns i've had since i started playing, and definitely thought it was going to come out in Complete Mage/Arcane.

Any acid could refluff well for blood, say it is demon/devil blood or something like that and require that as a material component. Freezing damage comes from stopping blood flow, burning from increasing it/ increasing their blood temp.

Besides that there is blood bending from avatar which allows the caster to control other creatures by their blood. You could use blood bending as the basis for hold person/monster and also a variant on charm person/monster that is more like body snatching where you can control all of the person/monsters actions but it is based on concentration and not mind affecting. So in essence they are aware of what is going on but not in control of their own body as you have hijacked it.

This is a very good way of looking at it! Thank you! Each spell will be a case by case basis i guess, but the demon blood/freezing blood thing is a huge help! Love the concept of the blood bending, it definitely has an eery vibe to it, and would go amazing with the Vampires dominate person.

Avasculate and Avascular Mass (Spell Compendium) have the right flavor. You also could reflux the Necrotic spells in Libris Mortis. They are normally acquired via the Mother Cyst feat, but you could redo a lot of the Cyst influence to blood influence.

Much to think on with this one, it didn't even cross my mind to go and check out the Libris Mortis spell list for inspo.

Starbuck_II
2019-07-10, 12:02 AM
You may like spell:
Rain of Blood
Level: *arcana 2 (necromancy) Runtime: *full action Range: *30m Area: **radius of 30m emanation Duration: *1 minute Saving Throw: *none

Blood rain is a peculiar magic, which resembles a ritual due to its complexity. During casting, the arcane is cut, losing 2d4 hit points. When the blood falls to the ground, a shower of thick blood begins. The rain burns and necrotizes the flesh of all living beings in the area except the caster, causing 3d10 points of damage per round. A creature gets a Fort save for ½ damage. Creatures under shelter (under roofs, inside caves, etc.) suffer no damage, and creatures with partial cover from the sky (under trees) just suffer 1d10 points of damage per round. This spell can only be launched in the open.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-20, 05:49 AM
Extract Water Elemental, I think it's one of the Ravenloft books that has Blood Elementals.

Uncle Pine
2019-07-20, 10:20 AM
I like refluffing the Dominate line as well as other similar Enchantment spells as blood magic, the rationale being that you move a creature like a puppet and make it do what you want by controlling its blood and other body fluids. (see Avatar: the Last Airbender)
Many buffing spells from the Transmutation school (i.e. Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength) could be easily fluffed as manipulating the blood flow of a creature to enhance some of its abilities. (see Fist of the North Star)

To refluff a fireball so that it's blood-themed, turn it into a boiling/searing/flaming/infernal bloodball. It'll still deal fire damage, of course.

Mehangel
2019-07-20, 02:05 PM
If after all these suggestions, you are still having trouble making a thematic blood mage, Spheres of Power offers a way to build extremely thematic characters using 'spheres' and 'traditions'.

For example, there is an entire sphere that revolves around the creation and manipulation of blood, so named the 'Blood (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/blood)' sphere. There is also a casting tradition called 'Blood Magic (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc9)' which is all about draining your own life force to power your magic.