PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Workshop: Blood-Draining Rapier

Dr paradox
2019-07-09, 05:32 PM
Makin' a blood-drinking rapier for 5e. Context is that my sandbox has some notable fey monsters, and killing them confers some boon onto the weapon. The rogue killed a blood-sucking Harvestman monster, so here's what I'm thinking.

Spend an action to make a melee attack against a creature with a functioning vascular system. If it deals damage, you can leave the sword sticking into them. As long as it's stuck, you cannot make melee attacks using the sword. You can withdraw the sword as a bonus action.

On the start of their turn, any creature with the sword sticking in them loses 1d8 hitpoints from blood drain.

If the wielder maintains their grip on the sword, the target creature is grappled and must make an Escape action to pull the sword out of themselves. If the wielder has released their grip, the target creature is not grappled and can remove the sword using an action without an ability check.

Thoughts? Is the damage too high? I haven't included the most clinical version of the rules I'd picture for this, but if any notions of abuse come to mind, let me know. Should this be a once per day ability? Or is it situational enough that it can just be an at-will part of the toolbox?

Sparky McDibben
2019-07-09, 05:43 PM
So this looks neat! What's the party level? I assume tier 1?

I would refluff to the weapon draining vitality rather than actual blood. You don't want to have to answer the question every time: "Do they have a functioning vascular system?"

Rather than doing damage + grapple, what if you inflicted a different condition? For example, "Once per round when the wielder hits with a sneak attack, the target must make a saving throw against a DC equal to 8 + the wielder's proficiency modifier + the wielder's [X] modifier. On a failed saving throw, the target gains a level of exhaustion as their blood is drained." You could decide [X] equals Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution (depending on how high you wanted the save to be). Most combats last 3 rounds, so I don't see this as providing extraordinarily powerful attack options...but it would make it really interesting if it got turned around on the characters.

Either way, cool idea!

Segev
2019-07-09, 05:55 PM
Maybe model it on witch bolt? A creature damaged by the weapon will continue to take 1d12 damage each round for as long as the wielder of the weapon maintains Concentration and the target stays within 30 feet. Hitting a new target releases the old one. The visual effect is blood streaming from the wound to the thirsty sword.

Witch bolt may be a first level spell, but it's generally considered quite weak, so while this is a potent effect, it's not horrific. It's also easily ended, albeit by giving up a lot of battlefield positioning.

moonfly7
2019-07-09, 06:02 PM
Love the current version you have, only thing: what if they cover the rapier in royal glue? So long as they always have a solvent to disperse it, they could do to bosses, let go, then pull a back up while it bleeds dry.

nickl_2000
2019-07-09, 06:12 PM
Love the current version you have, only thing: what if they cover the rapier in royal glue? So long as they always have a solvent to disperse it, they could do to bosses, let go, then pull a back up while it bleeds dry.

The glue and solvent are very rare items if I remember correctly. If they get both, and they spend it for this use I don't see the issue

Sparky McDibben
2019-07-09, 06:41 PM
Another way to go might be the sword of wounding in the DMG. Alternatively, there are a couple of devils that do wound-type damage.

moonfly7
2019-07-09, 08:10 PM
The glue and solvent are very rare items if I remember correctly. If they get both, and they spend it for this use I don't see the issue
Oh I know, I'm not saying ban it, I'm just letting him no it can happen.

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-09, 11:16 PM
Maybe model it on witch bolt? A creature damaged by the weapon will continue to take 1d12 damage each round for as long as the wielder of the weapon maintains Concentration and the target stays within 30 feet. Hitting a new target releases the old one. The visual effect is blood streaming from the wound to the thirsty sword.

Witch bolt may be a first level spell, but it's generally considered quite weak, so while this is a potent effect, it's not horrific. It's also easily ended, albeit by giving up a lot of battlefield positioning.

I like this idea. Change the damage type from Lightning to Necrotic, but keep the rest the same.
Action to cast, action to maintain. I might let it cast the spell without charges, or give it 5 charges and cost 1 charge per cast.
Probably start with the charges, then give it more charges if it seems to underperform.