PDA

View Full Version : Psionics + mundane only campaign viable?

Particle_Man
2019-07-09, 11:34 PM
If I were to run a campaign that had psionics a la eph and complete psionic, but aside from that (and psi-thieves and monks) only had mundane classes (fighters, rogues, swashbucklers, etc,), would it be viable? I would likely also go with humans and the psionic races. Are there any pitfalls I would need to worry about? Would the party lack adequate healing? I would also focus on psionic monsters (and mundane ones, although big ones like dire bears would count as mundane for this purpose).

Venger
2019-07-09, 11:53 PM
you'd need to be a little more forgiving when it comes to healing statuses inflicted by monsters (energy drain, poison, stun, curses, petrification, etc) since the game assumes everyone has access to an on-level cleric. manifesters lack access to many of these and/or are not going to take powers for it due to having a limited number of slots known and them being very situational, such as revivify. if you provide easy access to these, tweak extant powers to deal with more stuff, provide these things through npcs, etc, you will probably be ok.

MisterKaws
2019-07-10, 01:19 AM
you'd need to be a little more forgiving when it comes to healing statuses inflicted by monsters (energy drain, poison, stun, curses, petrification, etc) since the game assumes everyone has access to an on-level cleric. manifesters lack access to many of these and/or are not going to take powers for it due to having a limited number of slots known and them being very situational, such as revivify. if you provide easy access to these, tweak extant powers to deal with more stuff, provide these things through npcs, etc, you will probably be ok.

In addition, a bunch of spells that are usually collective(or at least shareable) have very egoistical psionic counterparts. Fly, for example, is self-only in its psionic version, while the normal version is "target:creature touched", which means you could get fly the whole party with a couple castings. For psionics, you'll need every player to be a caster or they won't be able to deal with a lot of the challenges.

Venger
2019-07-10, 01:23 AM
This is also a good point. Honestly, this is probably a good idea with regular magic too. For a team-focused game, they really didn't let wizards share a lot of the good stuff with the mundanes.

Endarire
2019-07-10, 02:04 AM
I advise allowing Tome of Battle classes and mechanics in this game.

+1 to the notion of self-only manifestations being common. Want flight? Create an astral construct flying platform or buy a winged mount or somesuch.

RedMage125
2019-07-10, 02:09 PM
If I were to run a campaign that had psionics a la eph and complete psionic, but aside from that (and psi-thieves and monks) only had mundane classes (fighters, rogues, swashbucklers, etc,), would it be viable? I would likely also go with humans and the psionic races. Are there any pitfalls I would need to worry about? Would the party lack adequate healing? I would also focus on psionic monsters (and mundane ones, although big ones like dire bears would count as mundane for this purpose).

So...Dark Sun?

Particle_Man
2019-07-10, 05:32 PM
So...Dark Sun?

Believe it or not, a reskin to make psionics into faerie gem magic complete with Seelie and Unseelie courts.

Kris Moonhand
2019-07-10, 09:31 PM
You may want to at least grab the Vitalist class from Dreamscarred Press's Ultimate Psionics. It's Pathfinder, so you might need to do a bit of reworking, but it solves a lot of the "no healing" and "can't share powers" problems of 3.5 psionics. Other than that, yeah, replacing magic with psionics is totally viable.

LordBlades
2019-07-10, 10:03 PM
Sa gehirn is also something you might consider including if you're worried about healing

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c

weckar
2019-07-12, 06:51 AM
Fly, for example, is self-only in its psionic version, while the normal version is "target:creature touched", which means you could get fly the whole party with a couple castings.Actually, get them clustered and you can do it with a single casting due to how touch spells work, iirc.

Mike Miller
2019-07-13, 11:50 AM
Actually, get them clustered and you can do it with a single casting due to how touch spells work, iirc.

It is creature not creatures. It also doesn't have a "+1 creature per 3 levels" or some such wording. So just one?

weckar
2019-07-13, 02:11 PM
From the srd, under the general rules regarding touch spells:

You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action.

Mike Miller
2019-07-14, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't that still only be for spells with Target: (plural) creatures?

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-14, 02:00 PM
Items are a huge issue. You either need to do some hand waving or watch as almost every item in the game is no longer craftable, including the myriad items designed to make you need a cleric less.

LordBlades
2019-07-14, 03:17 PM
Items are a huge issue. You either need to do some hand waving or watch as almost every item in the game is no longer craftable, including the myriad items designed to make you need a cleric less.

That depends on whether regular magic is simply non-existant in the world, or simply outside campaign scope/unavailable to the players.

If magic (spells) still exists, then most items are still craftable. Southern Magician/Alternative Spell Source means any spell can exist as an Arcane spell, Spell to Power Erudite means that any Arcane spell can exist as a power and MIC clarifies you can substitute similar powers for spells when crafting.