PDA

View Full Version : How can a warforged druid use drugs?

Venger
2019-07-10, 03:57 AM
Warforged are immune to poison. Even reforged don't regain vulnerability to it. Drugs are treated as poisons. Aside from greater humanoid essence, is there a way for a warforged to enjoy the use of drugs? As far as I know, ghe is only available to artificers and clerics. Is it possible to either get it as a druid or replicate the effect somehow?

Gnaeus
2019-07-10, 06:24 AM
Seems appropriate somehow.

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Troll_drugs

unseenmage
2019-07-10, 06:17 PM
... Aside from greater humanoid essence...

Welp there goes my contribution. :smalltongue:

Alternatively have said Warforged imbibe pesticide. They're still immune but hey, maybe the wooden bits get a tingle.

MisterKaws
2019-07-10, 07:16 PM
Well, Baleful Polymorph works, but...

You get my point, yes?

Wait, I spent so much time searching I forgot it was for self-use.

You can use any polymorph spell to change your type and then use it, but I don't think that's what you want. Though you could do that to change into a humanoid, do your drugs, and then catapult from that into Wild Shape.

Telonius
2019-07-10, 08:12 PM
A little drastic, but Reincarnate would work.

WhamBamSam
2019-07-10, 08:53 PM
Is it a type-based immunity? Would you lose it under the effect of Aspect of the Wolf?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-10, 09:33 PM
Drugs're bad, mmkay?

Winners don't use drugs! Except steroids, in which case use lots of drugs! [/SAO Abridged]

Saintheart
2019-07-10, 09:38 PM
Per Book of Vile Darkness:

Drugs function like poisons, allowing the imbiber an initial and a secondary saving throws to resist their effects. Delay poison, neutralize poison, and similar effects negate or end a drug's effects, but they do not restore hit points, ability scores, or other damage caused by the substance.

A creature that willingly takes a drug automatically fails both saving throws. It is nor possible to intentionally fail the initial save but attempt to save against the secondary damage, or vice versa. DCs are provided for situations in which a character is drugged against his will.

'Like' =/= 'as'. Delay poison and similar negate a drug's effects as an extension of their capabilities by virtue of the way it's worded in BoVD, but immunity to poison is arguably not a "similar effect". Immunity to poisons not being specifically mentioned, by RAW an immunity to poison does not apply to a drug. And as noted, a "creature" that willingly takes a drug automatically fails both saving throws.

In fluff terms I characterise this as a part of the warforged lowering its chemical firewalls to allow the substance to affect its systems. But then I tend to play up the whole "walking computer" thing when adjudicating warforged.

MisterKaws
2019-07-10, 10:15 PM
Drugs're bad, mmkay?

Winners don't use drugs! Except steroids, in which case use lots of drugs! [/SAO Abridged]

Captain Morgan disagrees. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMG_oaQMME)

rel
2019-07-11, 01:23 AM
The same way a lich enjoys sex; Polymorph Any Object

ben-zayb
2019-07-11, 03:40 AM
Sertrous negates poison immunity IIRC.

Now I'm imagining a campaign where warforged druids and various intelligent creatures with poison immunity hang out and get baked with Sertrous.

GrayDeath
2019-07-11, 04:25 AM
Sertrous negates poison immunity IIRC.

Now I'm imagining a campaign where warforged druids and various intelligent creatures with poison immunity hang out and get baked with Sertrous.

THat....is so weird that I am going to copy it for my trove of "weird Campaign Ideas, if you dont mind. :)

As for Poison Immunity governing Drug Immunity: The granularity for poisons is very ... big, so RAI I assume it covers drugs, as as Theophastus Bombastus von Honenheym said "Die Dosis macht das Gift". ^^

RAW one might argue that you can be immune to poisons but not drugs, but I cannot imagine type "blanko" Immunities being able tob e lowered (otherwise I jsut got a great Idea for a Plant Type minion ^^).

Venger
2019-07-11, 02:14 PM
Well, Baleful Polymorph works, but...

You get my point, yes?

Wait, I spent so much time searching I forgot it was for self-use.

You can use any polymorph spell to change your type and then use it, but I don't think that's what you want. Though you could do that to change into a humanoid, do your drugs, and then catapult from that into Wild Shape.

The same way a lich enjoys sex; Polymorph Any Object
druids lack native access to the polymorph line

Is it a type-based immunity? Would you lose it under the effect of Aspect of the Wolf?
yes, it's from the living construct type. I would.

Per Book of Vile Darkness:

'Like' =/= 'as'. Delay poison and similar negate a drug's effects as an extension of their capabilities by virtue of the way it's worded in BoVD, but immunity to poison is arguably not a "similar effect". Immunity to poisons not being specifically mentioned, by RAW an immunity to poison does not apply to a drug. And as noted, a "creature" that willingly takes a drug automatically fails both saving throws.

In fluff terms I characterise this as a part of the warforged lowering its chemical firewalls to allow the substance to affect its systems. But then I tend to play up the whole "walking computer" thing when adjudicating warforged.
yeah, I'd been assuming poison immunity would render you immune to drugs based on this reading. your analysis makes sense and they just meant it in terms of having an initial/secondary save. thanks.

ben-zayb
2019-07-11, 03:45 PM
THat....is so weird that I am going to copy it for my trove of "weird Campaign Ideas, if you dont mind.Every content I post here is for public consumption. No need to ask permission. Have fun with it!

Celestia
2019-07-11, 03:46 PM
Welp there goes my contribution. :smalltongue:

Alternatively have said Warforged imbibe pesticide. They're still immune but hey, maybe the wooden bits get a tingle.
I now really want to play a washed up warforged soldier that downs bottles of pesticide the way a drunk downs whiskey.

unseenmage
2019-07-11, 06:17 PM
I now really want to play a washed up warforged soldier that downs bottles of pesticide the way a drunk downs whiskey.

Right!

Had a player in our IRL group whose Ghoul PC drank rat poison the way everyone else drank booze.

Eventually made it his goal to lick EVERYTHING and routinely flavored the part's rations/dinner to match via prestidigitation so we could share the experience.

MisterKaws
2019-07-11, 08:38 PM
Right!

Had a player in our IRL group whose Ghoul PC drank rat poison the way everyone else drank booze.

Eventually made it his goal to lick EVERYTHING and routinely flavored the part's rations/dinner to match via prestidigitation so we could share the experience.

That's probably one of the greatest ways to use Prestidigitation I've ever heard of.

Zaq
2019-07-12, 12:21 AM
That's probably one of the greatest ways to use Prestidigitation I've ever heard of.

Yeah, I agree, that's kind of next level.

I still want to use it to make someone's armor taste like elf so that bulettes won't eat them, but I've never had a bulette and a prestidigitation-user in the same encounter since I read that delightful line of, um, flavor text.

Arkhios
2019-07-12, 12:49 AM
While drugs count as poisons and warforged are immune to them, I guess a warforged could (technically) gain a sense of euphoria from using them while otherwise remaining unaffected (for better or worse). Although, I suppose that's not the answer you were looking for...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-12, 12:53 AM
While drugs count as poisons and warforged are immune to them, I guess a warforged could (technically) gain a sense of euphoria from using them while otherwise remaining unaffected (for better or worse). Although, I suppose that's not the answer you were looking for...The warforged, however, was the droid he was looking for.

Kyutaru
2019-07-12, 01:01 AM
Only biological drugs count as poisons and are ineffective on warforged. But as Bending B Rodriguez shows us, you can treat other things as a drug for a construct. In Futurama it was electricity and all the robots were getting high off frying their circuits.

Maybe try a crushed up Crystal which interacts with their steel and stone bodies. Or maybe they just love inhaling pure oxygen. Others might have a fetish for granite.