PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the lycanthrope class?

samcifer
2019-07-10, 10:21 AM
Another class I found that seems good is the lycanthrope class:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/200901/Lycanthrope-Class

It looks like you can choose between strength or dexterity with constitution, so you have much more flexibility on multiclassing than with a barbarian so long as you don't mind giving up unarmored defense and advantage to dex saves.

It looks as if it combos well with monk and rogue without conflicting stats for the most part.

I rather like the added versatility of the class, but has anyone played it yet?

(I had to edit this as I had initially missed the part where you can't cast or concentrate on spells while shifted just as with the barbarian's rage feature)

Moltenbrisingr
2019-07-10, 12:27 PM
Not as broken as I expected, this is a great flavor reskin with just enough new features to make it interesting.

Ranger Wolfe
2019-07-10, 10:28 PM
I think it's good, if a little safe. Very similar to the totem barbarian, and that seems a little bland for me. It will probably work well mechanically, I just think it could have more unique features, without breaking the class.

Rerem115
2019-07-10, 11:35 PM
It's a solid meh from me, but there are a few things that stand out as...not really problems per say, just design choices I wouldn't take myself if I designed this class.

Going in order of things that caught my eye:

Option of taking Dex and Con saves at level 1. Two strong saves is Just Not Done, so I'd limit it to Str + Con, or Str + Dex, or if I was feeling generous, Str + Dex or Con.

It's literally a Barbarian houseruled to give up Unarmored Defense in exchange for being able to use Dex for all their class features and not drop their rage by accident. This didn't need to be a full class, but whatever.

I see no reason NOT to take Aspect of the Boar at 6th level; it's stronger than the other options at that point by a fair margin. This makes sense; it's a Berserker feature, but this "class" is a houseruled/reskinned Totem Barbarian, and Totem Barbarians get a ribbon at 6th.

Edge case scenario, but Brutal Critical, Reckless Attack allowing Dexterity, and Elven Accuracy could make for a not necessarily unbalanced, but potentially really strong and swingy character.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-11, 06:20 AM
I still stand by my opinion that monster-as-a-class was bad idea back in 3e, and it continues to be bad idea now.

Segev
2019-07-11, 10:19 AM
I still stand by my opinion that monster-as-a-class was bad idea back in 3e, and it continues to be bad idea now.

I'll probably never build it, because designing an entire system is more work than I have time for, but I've long thought that a system where you leveled up in race AND in class would be interesting. Your race improves as you level up, no matter what race you are. So you could be a level 10 dwarf as well as a level 5 fighter level 5 dwarven defender.

Spectrulus
2019-07-11, 02:03 PM
I think you'd have more fun with Mercer's Blood Hunter Order of the Lycan for a starting point.

Could swap out undead/fey/fiend related abilities for beast ones and you're set.

samcifer
2019-07-11, 03:44 PM
I think you'd have more fun with Mercer's Blood Hunter Order of the Lycan for a starting point.

Could swap out undead/fey/fiend related abilities for beast ones and you're set.

I'd only go that route if I were to multi-class into barbarian (bear totem) and take the Toughness feat to offset the glass-cannon aspect of that class.

Dr. Cliché
2019-07-11, 06:47 PM
To me it seems pretty uninspired and not very interesting . . . but then I say the exact same thing about D&D werewolves so I guess that makes it a faithful adaptation. :smallwink:

Segev
2019-07-12, 10:29 AM
Haven't looked at it, but from the sound of it, it replaces Rage with an ability to assume hybrid form, then uses rage mechanics? I'm guessing it also gives a natural attack.

samcifer
2019-07-12, 12:21 PM
Haven't looked at it, but from the sound of it, it replaces Rage with an ability to assume hybrid form, then uses rage mechanics? I'm guessing it also gives a natural attack.

The main differences are:

Can choose Dexterity or Strength for all of the benefits STR gives to barbarians including saving throw prof., bonus damage while shifted (enraged), and gain natural weapons that can do 1d8 dmg or 1d6 and count as finesse.

You lose unarmored defense.

Replaces adv on dex saves with being able to shapeshift fully into the kind of animal you chose at lv. 1 for your bestial powers and keep all stats except for AC and size.

Can use Reckless attack with dex.

Replaces Speak with animals with keen senses (but you must choose either scent or hearing and that choice is permanent)