PDA

View Full Version : Drow Idea/What are Drow up to in 5th?

chaosgirl
2019-07-10, 11:55 AM
So I havent played D&D in a long time, but I had an idea last night that I like the idea of. Although I have no idea where to play it and would likely have to do the Adventures League thing..

I'm wondering whats up with the Drow these days. The various wikis I've found seem a bit confusing, and inconsistent and I would prefer not to have to read every Realms novel written in the last 15 years.

Is Menzoberranzan still a matriarchy of jerks devoted to Lolth?

I want to play at Drow, but not a whiny emo Drow, not someone who’s whining about how horrible their society is.

Like a priestess who discovers that one of lolths children is a genuinely good human. Feed the hungry, tends to the sick ect.

The priestess Is tasked with protecting her in a vision from Lolth directly. So if she tries to work her way into the characters life. It tries to befriend her, tries to spend as much time around her as possible. And tries to gain her trust by acting like a lovely lovely elf.

However given her upbringing, she still ruthlessly “pragmatic” in her task. (As gamers we all read “pragmatic” as casual murder happy right?). And given the status she had in Menzoberranzan has disproportionate responses to perceived disrespect, And spends no small amount of time of thinking “maybe if I just drug her and keep her in a box, that will count as protecting her”

But as things go in she develops an admiration for the Demi-god and genuinely wants her respect

It was about this point where hte disapproving voice in my head said "You're describing Emma Frost"
And I had to tell the disapproving voice "Shut up, I want to be an awesome elf"

Millstone85
2019-07-10, 12:38 PM
Is Menzoberranzan still a matriarchy of jerks devoted to Lolth?The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide describes Menzoberranzan on page 101, through the eyes of Oshgir, a half-orc warrior who was a slave there.

And yes, the city is still what you said.

Mud Puppy
2019-07-10, 01:07 PM
I love everything about this idea. The RP would be amazing.

Couple questions though, would the human your priestess is tasked with protecting an NPC or another PC?

Either way, it would be so cool.

As a PC, they would be forced to introduce you and vouch for you everywhere you go and endure the endless questions as to why they have a dark elf shadow...

Conversely, if you walked around with a human NPC literally chained to your belt to keep them from running off, the reactions of townsfolk and other adventurers could be freaking epic.

Second, would you play this Drow priestess as a Cleric or as a Drow Priestess out of the MM or MToF or wherever?

chaosgirl
2019-07-10, 01:56 PM
And yes, the city is still what you said.

There are stronger words that could be used, but its a family message board after all LOL

Couple questions though, would the human your priestess is tasked with protecting an NPC or another PC?

I have a friend who has a history of playing slightly naive, Pollyanna types. I think ideally it would be really fun to play off her (or another PC of that type if possible)
"That guy who was rude to me the other night, its so sad, he felt so bad about it he moved away in the middle of the night, and he left me all his stuff as a way to apologize"
And lots of chewing on the inside of my cheek on my part, maybe see if I can get a vein in my forehead to bulge on command

Conversely, if you walked around with a human NPC literally chained to your belt That could be, very, very interesting, Ill have to come up with a plausible reason if I do it that way.
"Yes, Im Lilly, and this is my service human, there all the rage in Balders Gate" I will need to figure out a way to not get murdered on sight. I haven't payed much attention to FRs since 3rd ed, but I'm sure there's a way to not get murdered on sight since there a base race now.

Second, would you play this Drow priestess as a Cleric or as a Drow Priestess out of the MM or MToF or wherever?

I have the base books for 5th but I haven't really looked through them much, but this is a character I think I could really get in to, I think Im going to stop by the nerd store today and see what they have that would work with this