PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question about flat price item enhancements and crafting

skunk3
2019-07-10, 03:47 PM
I have a question about flat price enhancements. For example, let's assume that we wanted to add a +6 CHA bonus to a shoulder slot item such as a cloak.

This is a flat cost of 36,000 GP. However, if I were to craft this myself (instead of paying some NPC to do it for me) would I follow the normal item creation rules, which is basically half cost + 1/25 the base cost in XP, or is it just a flat cost of 36k GP no matter what? (In which case there's no point in doing it yourself, basically.)

The question applies to anything with a flat GP cost - weapon enhancements, shield enhancements, armor enhancements, etc. I can't find any RAW info in the books that indicates whether or not I can save money by adding these enhancements myself. I know, obviously, that if it is not a flat cost and if I am capable of doing the crafting, then I can do it myself.

So what is the verdict? Also, can anyone point me to a passage in one of the books that explains the justification?

MisterKaws
2019-07-10, 04:33 PM
the 36k are still an addition to the market price, so yes, it is halved.

Also, it's not a flat modifier. It's (bonus)²x1000, or x10000 for bonuses over +6.

RNightstalker
2019-07-10, 05:21 PM
Check out the MIC p233-234 (premium edition)

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-10, 05:25 PM
This is a flat cost of 36,000 GP. However, if I were to craft this myself (instead of paying some NPC to do it for me) would I follow the normal item creation rules, which is basically half cost + 1/25 the base cost in XP, or is it just a flat cost of 36k GP no matter what? (In which case there's no point in doing it yourself, basically.)

Yes, if you're using the item creation rules, you... use... the item creation rules. :smallconfused::smallsigh:

skunk3
2019-07-10, 06:38 PM
The reason why I asked is because someone insisted that if something is a 'flat' cost (yes, I know that +X stat increase items aren't 'flat' per se) then you have to pay that full cost. I argued that you don't but they insisted that I was wrong.

As our group should be having some significant in-game downtime soon I wanted to know for sure before I start crafting a bunch of stuff.

Biggus
2019-07-10, 09:37 PM
The reason why I asked is because someone insisted that if something is a 'flat' cost (yes, I know that +X stat increase items aren't 'flat' per se) then you have to pay that full cost. I argued that you don't but they insisted that I was wrong.

As our group should be having some significant in-game downtime soon I wanted to know for sure before I start crafting a bunch of stuff.

Your friend has misunderstood the rules, p.234 of the MiC compendium make it quite clear that the normal crafting rules apply:

"Adding one of these effects to an existing item works much like crafting an item from scratch. The crafting character must meet the given prerequisites, must expend gold equal to one-half the price and XP equal to 1/25 the price, and must spend one day per 1,000GP of the price".