PDA

View Full Version : Times your characters found love in dnd

moonfly7
2019-07-10, 04:51 PM
It can be with a fellow PC, an NPC, or even a monster, I don't care. I'm just interested in seeing your brushes with love in dnd, go ahead and give me your stories!

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-10, 04:54 PM
*grabs popcorn*

Xihirli
2019-07-10, 05:02 PM
Well, my disgusting half-hag fell in love with the party Warlock. She became infatuated with her and started trying to impress her pretty soon after they met, but really fell over herself when the Warlock went out of her way to keep Polly (half-hag) from making a deal with Myrkul - after Polly saw that the warlock saw hope and integrity in her that she didn’t even see in herself, that was it.
I didn’t even realize that was what was happening until just before we broke for the summer.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-10, 05:03 PM
*grabs popcorn*

*brings chairs and beers*

Pex
2019-07-10, 05:25 PM
My character married another PC. It started as a joke. I'm playing a sorcerer. He's the fighter. As typical in combat I stay in the back or behind the fighter, so other players started making jokes about us, out of character. I decided to own it and made the jokes real. The fighter player played along, naming the activation word of his animated shield after my character's name as a sign of affection. Eventually I "proposed" to the fighter player if he'd be ok with our characters getting married, and he agreed. In character the love is sincere.

moonfly7
2019-07-10, 05:47 PM
My character married another PC. It started as a joke. I'm playing a sorcerer. He's the fighter. As typical in combat I stay in the back or behind the fighter, so other players started making jokes about us, out of character. I decided to own it and made the jokes real. The fighter player played along, naming the activation word of his animated shield after my character's name as a sign of affection. Eventually I "proposed" to the fighter player if he'd be ok with our characters getting married, and he agreed. In character the love is sincere.
Love it, would love to see more like this!

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-11, 12:12 AM
I'm not surr how valid it is since it's part of my Cleric's backstory, so it didn't happen 'during play' necessarily.. But I'll give it a go:
Rhaegos, the soldier, weary from battle after his years on the battlefield, settled down with a lovely farm girl and tried his hands at being a farmer instead. The horrors of what he'd done kinda shook him out of his goal of becoming a storied hero.
So, he spent a year or 2, maybe 3, being a happy man on a farm. He was basically married in all but official documentation.
But, fate had other plans for him, and his love was taken from him. Instead of raging against the gods, and his god (of the underworld and the afterlife, to be specific), he took up the Scythe he'd used on the farm as a memento, and made it his weapon.
Skip to several years later. He finds a Frost Brand Longsword, which makes his scythe a bit superfluous. So, he has the blade of the scythe melted down, and reforged into a pair of rings. 1 with his name engraved in it, the other with his 'wife' her name engraved in it. He wears the ring with her name on his left hand, and the ring with his name on the necklace that holds his holy symbol.

Hope that's an okay story for the thread.

alessiosteelbor
2019-07-11, 12:27 AM
My pc, a wood elf born in a mostly human village near Neverwinter, found love when he met Laura, a pretty human girl which was mute.
They stayed together for like six months until her family had to left in Waterdeep, so they had to split up, sadly.
Then during the campaign the group approached Waterdeep, and knowing that Laura really wanted to begun her studies to become a mage he rushed to the academy of magic and there he found her, with a baby!
Then he continued his adventure and she continued to study and still raise their baby, such a formidable girl, with the promise to rebuild their village, which was destroyed, and marry together there!

Arkhios
2019-07-11, 02:20 AM
We knew very early on with my IRL fiancée that our characters would wind up in a relationship in-game.

Mine is a northerner with a strong connection - and affection - with all things natural and has a lively personality. He is a direct paternal descendant of an ancient heroic archmage who, along his companions, helped bring a lasting peace between the local men, dwarves, and elves. It's rumored that the mage was blessed by the Archfey Titania, the Summer Queen, to help quell an unnatural storm raging in the region where he lived (which was partly related with the war between the races). Generations later, when my character became of age, Titania found that he had in all ways similar personality and drive as his ancestor, thus worthy of her full attention. Unlike his ancestor, the character became a paladin, sworn to protect the old ways (Oath of the Ancients). In the initiation ritual, where all local druidic circles were present, Titania herself appeared and my character swore his Oath with her as a witness (this was played privately but in-character, and was entirely of my DM's handwriting, excluding the parts I played). Titania let my character understand that it was "time to pay back" the aid that was given to his bloodline all those centuries ago, and that she'd found my character capable of fulfilling it.

Her character comes from a long line of "white witches", a status inherited by maternal lineage, which is said to be descended from two deities' of nature having mingled with mortals eons ago for currently unknown purpose. When the game started our characters had already met each other. Since it's not my character, I'm not sure if I'm at the liberty to write more about her background, but that's the core concept of it. She is a Storm Sorcerer, to be precise.

As our group was adventuring, our druid had a vision that led us to an ancient ring of standing stones, very similar to Stonehenge. The surrounding area and the standing stones had been corrupted by a malevolent spirit (a banshee). Once we got rid of it, we cleansed the monument, and I had an idea that this would be very appropriate venue for our characters to get married, and so we did, with the druid leading the very celtic-like wedding ceremony.

Sindal
2019-07-11, 02:49 AM
Does "potential" count?

My half orc and the party has tangled and worked together with a pack of gnolls. They were antagonists first but common ground has worked things out.

Between working with them, participating in a tribal warchant before a big battle (bodypaint included), saving one of them in particular and getting the attention of thay one, to the point where hes given me his bowstting and has bothered to learn my name in common...

My half orc "might" be a little sweet on him.

If the dm allows it i might ask if i can learn gnollish. Because hell why not.

Laserlight
2019-07-11, 04:05 AM
My character Ledaal Yuyeh was built on the concept of a Terrestrial Exalted, who, ah, tend not to go to bed unaccompanied. When we were in Vallaki (Curse of Strahd), we wanted to get into a certain noble family's house, and Yuyeh seduced a couple of the serving girls, one of whom was a redhead--extremely exotic in Yuyeh's culture. The girl wasn't happy with her employer, and Yuyeh wanted her, so the girl ended up signing up as Yuyeh's servant/lover. When we destroyed Strahd, Yuyeh took her back to one of the Ledaal family palaces and introduced her to the family.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-11, 05:32 AM
The fighter in my party fell in love with an elven barbarian with split personalities.

moonfly7
2019-07-11, 06:58 AM
Does "potential" count?

My half orc and the party has tangled and worked together with a pack of gnolls. They were antagonists first but common ground has worked things out.

Between working with them, participating in a tribal warchant before a big battle (bodypaint included), saving one of them in particular and getting the attention of thay one, to the point where hes given me his bowstting and has bothered to learn my name in common...

My half orc "might" be a little sweet on him.

If the dm allows it i might ask if i can learn gnollish. Because hell why not.
This most certainly counts. I would love to hear how this plays out. Also, love in tge making stories are definetly welcome here!

Chronos
2019-07-11, 10:14 AM
My final 3rd edition character: To set things up, he was a young gnomish warlock. He thought that his powers came from his father, a mysterious fey who seduced his mother way back when. Well, two out of three ain't bad: his mother was in fact seduced by a mysterious stranger, and that is in fact the source of his powers, but his father wasn't a fey. He's obsessed with the fey and protecting the woodlands, and can't understand why his powers always manifest as dark, gross, and/or angsty, when he just wants to summon rainbows and unicorns.

Without any coordination between us, my friend in the game made a character who was a young female gnomish beguiler, which means that she really does fight by summoning rainbows. And she was very outdoorsy. And took the time to attempt to teach my guy how to use his powers (it didn't work very well, but it's the thought that counts).

Unfortunately that gaming group fell apart before it could develop very far.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-11, 10:32 AM
This was my party member, not me. But we were exploring the Elven forest and he's a human. We get to a clearing and he sees a female dryad bathing. She jumps at seeing him but then walks up and says word for word, "I'm yours now." It was creepy man. His character responded really awkwardly because he was just a kid (20ish) coming of age and trying to see the world with some more seasoned adventurers (He joined the campaign about a year late). He just looked away awkwardly and held out a towel or something. So she followed us around for a long time and he's always conflicted because he's got a wife now and doesn't even understand how it happened. She talked about a prophecy or something that led her to that pool to find the one she was supposed to be with I think.

Anyway, it made for some sufficiently awkward moments. Our Paladin said since they weren't really married that he wouldn't let the dryad sleep in Leomund's Tiny Hut whenever I cast it, or the Paladin would sleep outside based on principle. So the guy had to decide in character each time whether to risk the safety of his newfound "love" or his close friend who saved him on many occasions. It was great fun to watch him try to negotiate in character to find a way for everyone to be safe. The DM did a great job of being all forlorn whenever the dryad had to sleep outside. They did have some sweet moments later, but eventually we left the forest and she wouldn't come with us. She was upset that her husband was leaving her...so it's more of a tragedy than anything.

Nagog
2019-07-11, 10:47 AM
One fun mechanic a DM friend of mine had in his campaign that I've since adapted into mine was to roll a d10 of Attraction whenever our characters met somebody that they may potentially have a romantic interest in. In one setting, my Bard attempted to flirt with a major boss (an Earth Genie), and while he only rolled a 14 to flirt with her, she rolled a 9 on how attracted she was to him so it worked. They later got together post-campaign.

Also, this lends to some funny and interesting inter-party interaction. One player in that group has a really bad knack for having all the male players roll really high for her characters, to the point that one of our campaigns has a sub-plot style thing that the entire campaign is just a crossover episode of the Bachelorette. XD

Mercurias
2019-07-11, 10:51 AM
My Half-Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer is part of the most, uh, “libidinous” party I’ve ever seen. It seems like they spend more time discussing who my Sorc is going to end up with than they do about the baby blue dragon they tried to disguise as a dog or the cult of kobolds murdering people in the forest outside of town where the trees are made out of meat and capture any living thing their tentacles can reach in order to devour them.

Most recently, my Sorc was feeling his oats and shut up the party Rogue (she has a temper, and she tends to yell things she shouldn’t in crowded rooms when she’s mad) by giving her a peck on the cheek. He swayed back expecting a slap (even if she’s flirted with him and asked him for a good luck kiss before this was rude), but instead she stood there and turned scarlet.

So apparently the flirtatious Rogue is secretly a shy girl when people are forward, and her friendship with my Sorc may not stay a friendship I honestly hope it stays as an extremely slow burn. It’s fun.

NRSASD
2019-07-11, 11:10 AM
I've got two stories and an honorable mention.

Wrenegade is a kenku battlemaster who looks like a winter wren, working for the Troubleshooters; a squad of highly expendable adventurers who are frequently hurled at any tasks the city doesn't feel like dealing with officially.

Purrsilla, a tortoiseshell tabaxi land druid from an entirely different adventuring party, needed some information that Wrenegade had tripped over in his escapades. They met up at one of the few bars that catered to both kenku and tabaxi, and for Wrenegade it was love at first sight.

He dedicated all of his adventuring profits to buying Purrsilla gifts and shipping them to her, which was a bit pricey since she was on a trans-oceanic voyage at the time. When she finally returned to port (after many teleported potions, jewelry, and scrolls), they hit it off splendidly.

Even though they're both professional adventurers and frequently risking their lives on opposite corners of the globe, their relationship is rock solid; at least, after Wrenegade stopped trying to feed Purrsilla bugs. They have a lovely little nest (literally, it's a bird nest) in the most respectable part of the slums, and their only marital issue is that Wrenegade is very confused about why Purrsilla hasn't laid any eggs yet.

Sonya is a human fey warlock of Baba Yaga who had the profound misfortune of being pulled into Ravenloft by Strahd. While fighting off Night Hags and rescuing children by accident, she met Jescar, a local wereraven from Vallekia (Vallaki, I mispronounced the name and Vallekia stuck :P).

Having a tragic backstorytm, Sonya wanted nothing to do with anyone, least of all Jescar, but he persisted. He bailed her out after she got captured by the baron, supported her through all her trials and tribulations, and even left home to help her and her friends stop Strahd.

Sonya, despite her general misanthropy and evil tendencies, slowly fell for the kindhearted wereraven without realizing it. During the victory celebration over the forces of Strahd at the local winery, both she and Jescar got thoroughly plastered. She quite thoroughly seduced and dragged the not-unwilling Jescar out into the vineyards for making out, accidentally contracting lycanthropy in the process.

(This was absolutely hilarious in game, because the rest of the players were completely unaware this had happened. When Sonya turned into a wereraven in the middle of a fight, everyone stopped in their tracks, jaws agape, except for the party's medic who grabbed ahold of Jescar by the collar, hoisted him off the ground, glared into his eyes, and snarled "WHAT. DID. YOU. DO?!" Said medic was a petite elf woman who Jescar towers over normally.)

Strahd figured out about Sonya and Jescar obviously, and went out of his way to make them miserable. Jescar lost his home and his family to vampires, but stayed with the party despite the dangers. He also almost got vivisected by one of Strahd's lieutenants while in a fight, but desperate party shenanigans saved him.

After finally killing Strahd at long last, Sonya and Jescar left Ravenloft together; she returning to the wilds of her homeland as a servant of Baba Yaga, he building an inn on the edge of that wilds. Their relationship is fairly stable, as Sonya comes to visit Jescar when she can, but there are definite tensions.

One of our upcoming campaigns will see Jescar and Sonya pitted on opposite sides of a war between civilization and Baba Yaga. Will their love survive it? We don't know, but we'll keep you posted!

Finally, we have Acacia De'Turo, half-elven Oath of the Ancients Paladin. It was common knowledge that since he was drop dead gorgeous, goodnatured, and noble, he was quite the hit with the ladies. He had 40 girlfriends by the age of 45, and each of these relationships was a multi-month, serious, and genuine relationship.

Turns out he never actually had any girlfriends, ever. He has no idea how this rumor started, and is a little sad no one asks him out since everyone assumes he's way out of their league.

Comaward
2019-07-11, 11:54 AM
My latest PC was a tiefling draconic sorcerer who thought he was a bard.

Said tiefling sorcerer was massively bisexual and deeply in love with ALL of his companions.
The last session of the campaign began with a night of passion between himself, the male human fighter, and the female dwarf fighter.

Don't worry, even though the campaign ended, everyone is still alive.

Sariel Vailo
2019-07-11, 12:25 PM
PC and npc love that sparked into a bustling rommance so quick you'd thought we were playing the sims.
the first character is our goblin Joan aka(fakegob) she is a wonderful girl trained to be a knight by halflings. The npc in question is a druid wendigo so a fawn corpse. Named vincent
the first time the married couple met. Vincent the wendigo druid blocked some tank engine rails,to offer us a job.the goblin was the only one to notice he was a monster she hid (nat20 stealth).later we were tasked with warming him the others caught him in his monstrous state warned him and we're preparing to reposess his train I talked with him made him drop his disquise if I'd drop mine. He later took a Giants club over protecting the train.so I fought the giant one on one and the giant squished me after I dealt half it's hp in damage. (The giant just had a lot of disadvantage)
after the events of what happened the goblin saw him in a different light he was brave he was willing to fight for what he believed in. She asked him to move in a month later she starts slowly treating him like a lover. Two months in she works up the courage to ask him if he wanted to date. Three months in wacky game play things happen the goblin adopts six goblin children, "because they'd be killed or worse if left to their own devices."four months in the goblin asks him when he would like to be married. He agrees.
the DM,had a plan since the begining,Vincent was a reincarnated,ruler of an ancient human kingdom and wanted to clear it with me because it was cuter if his spouse had been reincarnated as well.
the ancient lovers met side once as the ancient king watched his bride walk down the aisle astride in a gown of white. The two were doing this ceremony not because they needed to it was for their friends. They had rekindled what they had lost three thousand years ago they were a family again.their was no murder at the wedding,the DM didn't plan on it,but since everyone was being so nice and all working together all wanting to pull it off in character even the cleric looked up non religious sermon on love.the alchemist made fireworks.the DM allowed the wedding to go off no problem.

Halkie
2019-07-11, 01:20 PM
Got a few stories:
My tiefling got into bed with a human for money, money that he took from one of my party members.. Turns out she got pregnant and he was a changeling.. Fun times! (she's still prego in our campaign)

I had my bard get warped into some spaceship with her party. She shot lasercanons at a dragon, got lost on the ship and ended up following one of the crew members. He was good looking and protected her. They were actually space pirates (which my bard didn't know). Suddenly a fight broke out and he ended up fending for her. At the end, the party and my bard got warped away from the ship, just as the warp happened the guy she had been with, planted a kiss on her mouth and asked her to never forget him.
Sadly I forgot his name xD

More with the bard, she's a half elf, another guy in the party was a half orc. They ended up liking each other somehow. He saved her at one point and carried her bridal style in our earlier sessions. If I'm not mistaken she gave him a kiss on the cheek later on as thanks. In another session they ended up in a room together, alone, as an ambush happened. She went invisible as he was gonna distract them, hero-style. He ended up falling into a trap door with a pit bellow filled with water, she jumped after to rescue him. Both of them got shot with arrows and almost ended up drowning, with a slime trying to grab them from the bottom of the water pit. However half orc was strong enough to get them both out, as she healed him (spending almost all spel slots and potions for that moment). They survived together that day. The rest of the party did their own thing.
We had a shorter time skip later on between sessions, he showed her around in a town (I saw it more as a date), found a place for her to perform to gain money, as he went off to do his stuff that he was aiming for in the same town. They ended up buying the same type of coloured outfit as well xD
Later on tho, we had a massive encounter with probably about 50 undead and a revenant. My bard ended up dying by saving our druid healer (did a few mistakes.. So it could of been avoidable, but whatever). The half orc got pissed and tried to kill one of our team mates, who was the cause of the revenant showing up in the first place. So 2 others from the party went after him and chopped his head off.. Somehow they also managed to resurrect my bard. So now she's all alone *sad face*

So... That's the love my characters have experienced :D

Waterdeep Merch
2019-07-11, 03:08 PM
Game I'm currently DMing- one of the players is a wizard's apprentice and baron in a world where magic is extraordinarily rare. Another player is the prince of the kingdom and heir apparent, though he is actually a she that is disguised for political reasons revolving around succession rights to block an illegitimate heir from being a claimant to the throne. She also has a body double that acts as either the princess of the prince when the player is required to be one or the other. Another is a knight from common birth that earned his title fighting in this world's version of the crusades, which is against demonically powered undead.

In a major tournament, the daughter of a duke attended hoping to get the attention of the "prince", as she was dead set on becoming the next queen. She held some respect for the commoner-turned-knight for his ambitions, and was extremely dismissive of the wizard's apprentice on account of his perceived uselessness (he had taken over for one of the most powerful wizards to have ever lived, and was an anxious coward at heart). Some things happened, the party got lost in elf woods that screwed time up for them, an enemy army eventually laid siege to the county and decimated it in the interim, and the party returned to put things right. The wizard's apprentice went on to be a key figure in defeating the enemy army, and successfully fought off a much more experienced wizard as well. The duke's daughter suddenly came to respect him, and pulled a complete 180- she declared him her fiance, and essentially forced him into a relationship. As weird as it sounds, they make a great pair- the daughter is bossy, haughty, ambitious, and vain. She's also absolutely loyal to her betrothed, and has successfully risen him to the title of duke as well as helped him reclaim his ancestral lands through political manipulation. He uses a pair of sending stones to talk with her every day.

Meanwhile, that knight I mentioned and the "prince" started off as loyal compatriots. Then, during a particular scenario at court where the player was presently in her princess guise, the knight played escort during a royal ball. No one in-character knows about the princess's alter ego, so only she was aware that the two of them had fought side by side for close to a year at this point. So she took him off-guard when she asked him to dance. Afterwards they spend a lot more time alone talking, and the two fall in love- the knight still not knowing that he's been by her side for a very long time now. As the prince, later, she helps ensure the knight's promotion to baron. Out of game, these two players are husband and wife, and this scenario was specifically concocted to let them play out an in-character romance.

moonfly7
2019-07-11, 04:11 PM
Game I'm currently DMing- one of the players is a wizard's apprentice and baron in a world where magic is extraordinarily rare. Another player is the prince of the kingdom and heir apparent, though he is actually a she that is disguised for political reasons revolving around succession rights to block an illegitimate heir from being a claimant to the throne. She also has a body double that acts as either the princess of the prince when the player is required to be one or the other. Another is a knight from common birth that earned his title fighting in this world's version of the crusades, which is against demonically powered undead.

In a major tournament, the daughter of a duke attended hoping to get the attention of the "prince", as she was dead set on becoming the next queen. She held some respect for the commoner-turned-knight for his ambitions, and was extremely dismissive of the wizard's apprentice on account of his perceived uselessness (he had taken over for one of the most powerful wizards to have ever lived, and was an anxious coward at heart). Some things happened, the party got lost in elf woods that screwed time up for them, an enemy army eventually laid siege to the county and decimated it in the interim, and the party returned to put things right. The wizard's apprentice went on to be a key figure in defeating the enemy army, and successfully fought off a much more experienced wizard as well. The duke's daughter suddenly came to respect him, and pulled a complete 180- she declared him her fiance, and essentially forced him into a relationship. As weird as it sounds, they make a great pair- the daughter is bossy, haughty, ambitious, and vain. She's also absolutely loyal to her betrothed, and has successfully risen him to the title of duke as well as helped him reclaim his ancestral lands through political manipulation. He uses a pair of sending stones to talk with her every day.

Meanwhile, that knight I mentioned and the "prince" started off as loyal compatriots. Then, during a particular scenario at court where the player was presently in her princess guise, the knight played escort during a royal ball. No one in-character knows about the princess's alter ego, so only she was aware that the two of them had fought side by side for close to a year at this point. So she took him off-guard when she asked him to dance. Afterwards they spend a lot more time alone talking, and the two fall in love- the knight still not knowing that he's been by her side for a very long time now. As the prince, later, she helps ensure the knight's promotion to baron. Out of game, these two players are husband and wife, and this scenario was specifically concocted to let them play out an in-character romance.
This.... This is awesome!

Porcupine
2019-07-12, 03:36 AM
I'm playing Out of the Abyss in the moment. The group was allready playing for a while, so they were quite a team and had collected a "few" NPCs along the way - like everybody they could grab. One of these NPCs was a young Drow-Ranger, whose teammates were killed by said party. I'm not sure if it wasn't a kidnapping of him, to be honest.
My Bard went down there to find her father, who was kidnapped. While searching, she met said party - and said NPC, who was about to go crazy because of his situation. My bard, half Drow, half Derro, has 7 personalities and found the crazyness in him most intriguing. After a performance she took him to her place, comforted him first with her music and than... Well ;)
What started as a fling actually grew over the time, to the point, that - after dating 3-4 months - they got married last session in the eve of a giant battle. The campaign isn't over yet, but they dream of going to the surface to live beyond the influence of Lolth. Wish them luck!

Mjolnirbear
2019-07-12, 09:55 PM
My paladin of the ancients courted two NPCs in LMoP; Gundren Rockseeker and Carp's mother.

I acted occasionally as the party's lore keeper, and wrote up the sessions as love letters to either NPC sharing what news he had.

He was a total hippie, and his oath was about protecting those things that made life worth living (like love). He helped raise Carp, helped Gundren get an exclusive contract for his mine, helped with farming chores in Phandalin, and shared his feelings with pretty much everyone.

ThatoneGuy84
2019-07-13, 02:07 PM
My swashbuckler/Bmaster met a pirate storm sorcerer. In her background she rolled that she had a love that almost took her away from her pirating life. My DM decided since we where "romantically" evolved, that it would be me.

After gaining travel in her ship, we departed (such sweet sorrow) but that wasnt all.

Our questing took us to the Faewild, which we failed a number of rolls when we attempted to return. 46 years had gone by (LOL)

So when I went to search my love interest, unknown to me, she was an old (Very Powerful) Sorceress at that point. Who had moved on, had children and lost her husband by then.

So when I retired the charactor, I retired him with her and her family. Being a half-elf in the mindset that the human I loved would have aged faster ect anyways.

NaughtyTiger
2019-07-13, 08:10 PM
My half orc druid spent most of her time in bear form. A new guy joined with a human barbarian that was raised by bears...

our characters were flirting like nervous junior high kids. my half orc turned into a ferret to squeeze through a hole, the barbarian was hit some odd shroom effects...
he started belly scritching the ferret.... eventually they fell in love and we had to retire both PCs.

GreyBlack
2019-07-13, 11:18 PM
I had a character seduce and marry a goddess. It was actually kinda heartwarming.

Yormungand
2019-07-14, 12:29 AM
I love this so much, this has given me a lot of crazy ideas to inspire me. I hope to find more things like this soon!

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-15, 12:42 AM
My NG FeyLock and the CG Celestial Sorceress in our party really didn't like each other when they first met. But that gradually changed, and by the time they reached 7th level, they were pretty much inseparable. However, the campaign was rated PG-13 so we had this whole "will they/won't they" thing going on, constantly coming up with hilarious excuses for them to never actually hook up. They drove the rest of the party, and each other, crazy.

Then she got killed by a Behir, swallowed whole and died before we could kill it and get her out. My character blamed himself, we had a huge funeral in our home city, (everyone liked her) and there's a statue of her in the garden the Warlock planted for her at our villa.

Nowadays it seems like there's nobody else left in our group with a moral compass. I can't talk any sense into these maniacs by myself. (Her new character is a stabby, bratty teenage rogue with purple worm poison on her arrows.)

Sigh....

braveheart
2019-07-15, 02:11 AM
In my friend's campaign, my character is currently in a sitcomesque love triangle with a half dwarf, and a monkey girl. Both of them are fellow gunsmiths, and while he indulged in passions with the monkey girl while on a long voyage, he actually has built a romantic relationship with the half dwarf. However, because my character believes the monkey girl had died, he never broke up woth her, and he has found himself on another long skyship voyage with her, and she had been harboring romantic feelings for my character over the in game months that separate the voyages. So far my character has been too unwilling to officially break up with her, and is just avoiding her as best he can abord the small airship.

Ironheart
2019-07-15, 03:40 AM
One unexpected romance came from a game I was DMing for a couple of new friends. After a wild fight in a tavern over a piece of a powerful artifact that appeared, the party was escorted to the castle, to be commissioned by the king to assemble the rest of the artifact. There was a dragon plaguing the land, disrupting trade routes to establish control over the two neighboring kingdoms.

Our half-orc Druid was strange, but he was always willing to try and show some form of affection, giving out Goodberry’s to those he wished to court. Imagine my surprise when he offered his gift to not just any guard, but one of the elite guard captains charged with protecting the princess, a strong woman who did not have as many social graces as her position might have implied. We’ll call her Rey.

It didn’t get to play out much past that, but while my player’s Druid was adventuring, I imagined that Rey ruminated over the gift, and eventually forget about it until the fateful day where a power struggle over the artifact (a wish granting item) erupted. In came the party, needing to see the king to assemble the artifact, and for flavor (and also because the party was only three people and this was final combat) I had her there to see what the reactions of the party were.

Motivated by her plight, our Druid fought hard and actually managed to shift the fight in the party’s favor. That was enough that in narrating the end, Rey considered him to be a worthy suitor (Strength is what mattered to her, in the end) and I left the player to imagine what happened next.

Verappo
2019-07-15, 11:43 PM
My wizard got proposed to by the team's fighter in the latest session of a campaign I'm in (we rotate between campaigns so this was a few months ago). I made the wizard a runaway bride in her backstory, so that was a nice and satisfying development in her narrative arc. It's a bit long so I'm putting it under a spoiler thing.

Her father was a proud smith who wanted to rise through the ranks with a title of nobility, so the wizard ran when he decided she was to wed an impoverished noble in a marriage of convenience. Partially she wanted to be free to practice her budding magical skills like her grandmother did, but also she was a bit offended at the relatively low quality of her match. This was nothing like the fairytales she grew up with, and anything less than a prince wouldn't do.

Flashforward to a year later. She joins a party of mercenaries investigating the attempted assassination of a queen in the kingdom across the desert. The party fighter hails from the wizard's same city, but has a fairly different background. He was orphaned as a baby and raised by the city guard, which makes him very straight laced and prone to swift judgement, but the wizard starts to respect his dedication to duty once he saves the party by single-handedly holding off two rust monsters. Also he is the one least likely to blow something up in the night, so there's comfort in that basic level of sanity. They often room together since everyone else kind of hates him for not wanting to steal everything that isn't nailed down. He gets used to her waking him up to the tune of Grieg's Morning Mood, which apparently is canon in this campaign.

Events force them to come back to their hometown, and the wizard has to hide for fear of being found by either her family or an angry and entitled count. At the same time, the fighter meets a woman who seems to know him, who reveals herself as the city's military leader and a devil at the service of Big Bad Evil Guy Who Was Thought to be Gone But is Back Now Babyyy, so like, bad news. The fighter confides this and other background stuff only to the wizard, who shares her family issues in kind.

Long story short, the fighter discovers that his parents were generals from the kingdom across the desert. They disappeared years before to go fight Big Bad Evil Guy, leaving the fighter behind. What's more, they were nobles of the house of Bishop (this kingdom has a chess theme). The fighter then brings proof of his lineage to the king, inheriting a fairly ruined mansion and a cool sword that turns him into a Hezrou demon. The wizard knows what this means: Cool title, old haunted mansion and a man that turns into a frog. Maybe there's not too much money involved, but this is prince material. She makes sure to let him know he is now an eligible bachelor, and with just a few more missions maybe he'll have enough money to restore his ancestral home.

Later on, the group discovers the uglier side of this war when they happen upon the ruins of a dwarven town, destroyed by the Big Bad Evil Guy Who Was Thought to be Gone But is Back Now Babyyy's armies. Salt to the wound, The party sorcerer dies by forgetting to remove himself from an explosion aimed at destroying said army's base. All this death and devastation kind of sours the Wizard's fairytale dreams of adventure, and she symbolically gives away her white horse to help a dwarven survivor get back home (also the sorcerer left behind a magically domesticated lion, so she took it upon herself to inherit the cool mount, nothing goes wasted). This is when the wizard asks the fighter to train her in swordfighting every night, mostly so I can make her into an Abjurant Champion, but also she can provide the party with another frontline soldier to fall back on, instead of depending on the fighter for protection. Maybe this way, once she's used up her last magic missile, she can draw her rapier and fight by his side. He also asks her for help with developing whatever obscure magic sword-based prestige class he plans on taking.

Mind you, so far this romance subtext has not been discussed between the fighter's player and I, so I'm kind of left wondering whether I'm just imagining a more interesting story than what's actually there. What's more, the group I play with is based in a very small town and we've known each other since we were 5, so this is a very awkward first step towards romance between PC's.

So there comes a big day. We are supposed to shut down the base of operation of a cult that our party ranger has been chasing down her whole life, and this time we intend to do so without losing one of our own. The wizard makes sure to ward everyone against fire and spares a spell of protection against arrows for both the fighter and the ranger. Sure enough, the cult has been enslaving and experimenting on storm giants, so the fire stuff is completely useless, but the thought counts I guess. Among other experiments, we see a giant Hezrou demon, very similar to the one the fighter turns into. The big guy is teleported away just in time to recognize the fighter as his son, but at least the fight is over and the day is won. Bloody and confused by recent events, the fighter nonetheless gets down on one knee to propose to the wizard, saying that things are bad and may get worse, but at least he can provide her with someone who will never get tired of hearing her sing in the morning, as well as a bona fide title to perhaps mend things with/show off to her family in the future. The emerald ring is also very convincing. The wizard accepts, happy to have a say in the matter and secure in her choice of a mutually supportive relationship with a budding lord and possible son of a demon (?).

I personally plan on making the engagement and preparations last as long as possible and annoy every party member with discussions of catering services and florists to hire. Of course we'll have to find his family first so they can attend. Maybe I'll just invite the wizard's parents without telling them first, I relish in the avenues for drama that this opens up. I find myself hoping he will turn into a demon permanently, which will obviously necessitate a True Love's Kiss. So many possibilities.

But more than anything I am so happy that the player decided to go bold and make it canon, since this was a bit of a turning point for the group. The two of us are (to my knowledge) the only lgbt people in our group, and he told me about his real life queer relationship personally before coming out to all the others. While I haven't done it -I don't really feel the need to- this was a nice boundary break, even if it is through the exploration of an ostensibly heterosexual relationship, and it kind of tightened the group's bond.

Tawmis
2019-07-16, 12:50 AM
I am currently playing a Human Fighter in a campaign.

The party members flux (it's a pretty large group), but it's:

Wood Elf Rogue
Tiefling Warlock
Goliath Cleric
Tiefling Wizard
Human Fighter (Me)
Dragonborn Monk
Aasimir Paladin
Half-Orc Barbarian
Dwarf Fighter
Water Gensai Ranger
Elf Bladesinger

Now it's typically the "normal" folks who are always present:

Wood Elf Rogue
Tiefling Warlock
Goliath Cleric
Tiefling Wizard
Human Fighter (Me)
Aasimir Paladin
Half-Orc Barbarian

The Tiefling Warlock (F) and Tiefling Wizard (M) are brother and sister (in game, not in real life). However, the Tiefling Warlock is married to the Goliath Cleric (in real life).
The person who plays the Goliath Cleric is one of the best role players (along with the guy who plays the Aasimir Paladin). I love sitting in these games because of these two.
Now the backstory to my character is that he was a squire to one of the Purple Knights, and got himself in trouble - and the one he was a squire for perished trying to save him. Mortified, my character took up his armor and weapons and now goes out and does very brash things (in an attempt to leave a heroic legacy), as he's adopted the person's name as well (Varus). So he's seen running a giants and such, figuring if he dies, he will die a hero - but it won't be for him, it will have been for the one he was a squire for.

So I play my character VERY inexperienced, he's not even seen much of the world. So when he ended up with the diverse group that he's with now, he feels he must do things even more bold, more brash - because he's standing next to a Aasimir Paladin, a Goliath Cleric, two Tieflings!

So, what I do after the game, is always write my character's "Journal" (so it's the events of the game from his POV) and post it in our Facebook group (where we always use it to schedule our next game and see everyone's availability). The first couple were about his distrust of the Tieflings and wondering how an Aasimir can even tolerate them... but he starts to see that the Wizard specifically is fighting his "evil" heritage (that many, like my character, assume he has) and has concerns about his sister's path of becoming a Warlock. In one of the sessions (we're doing Storm King's Thunder) a town was under attack by magma creatures and two giants - and the Tiefling Warlock ran into a burning building to go save some children. My character saw it - and saw the building collapse on her - and was the first one there to begin digging her out, and forgetting the giants.

So I have been slowly writing how my character has come to appreciate all of whom he travels with... but his misconception of the Tieflings - the Warlock in particular - is the deepest appreciation and surprise as he begins to develop feelings for her...

Nothing has happened yet in game (as I have not talked to her about it, or her real life husband [playing the Goliath - though I think he'd get a kick out it, since he frequently nearly dies trying to keep my character alive])... No one in the party knows my character's true secret that his name is NOT Varus and that he is not one of the Purple Knights...

Speely
2019-07-16, 01:40 AM
Played in a campaign that ran from 1 to 14. I was a half-elf lore bard, and my future love was a halfling hunter ranger. We bonded early because we were both trouble-makers. That bond blossomed. What was weird is that myself and the other player were (and are) roomates who are not at all attracted to one another irl, so when we would talk about the session later over smokes and a drink, there was this layer of awkwardness (I am queer but he is not, so I was fine with it, but he was SUCH a good RPer that he ran with the narrative in good faith.)

Later in the campaign, my character literally screwed a couple efreeti to avoid a combat encounter that would have probably wiped the party (we were low on pretty much every resource available.) I felt good about the whole thing because, well, bards gonna bard, but the halfling surprised me by getting super-jealous.

In the end, we ended up getting marrried in the last session, in what was the first gay marriage I have been part of in Faerun. Then we dived into a portal to the City of Brass in our wedding clothes (my bard was wearing the dress because he is an absolutely fabulous bride, so if/when we pick that thread back up, I am going to be SO squishy!)

Miz_Liz
2019-07-16, 12:23 PM
Trying not to tell the story of the whole campaign....

I realized pretty early on my paladin/bard's personality meant she would quickly fall for the charming and charismatic wizard of the party. Talked it over with the player, and we decided to have them start flirting. Cut to 10-12 sessions later, the two of them survive a near death experience together, and they finally confess their love for each other, kissing in the rain (it was a really fun rp moment after a really stressful combat.) Time goes on and they're in love, but he is hot-tempered and quick to anger, and is rather vengeful. She is very kind and wholesome, and believes far more in second chances than he does. Eventually he makes a couple of very rash decisions, and against her better judgement the party finds themselves in combat against a foe they really weren't prepared for. One PC dies (first PC death in a year and a half long campaign, it was a big dang deal) and she fervently blames him for it.

At this point that was about six sessions and four in-game days ago, and my paladin is still very angry, hasn't forgiven him. Not sure she ever will. He'll have to clean up his act big time.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-07-20, 04:30 AM
Way back in 3.0, My High Elven Monk Zath'a'Rass married a Drow NPC named Daria. (not her actual given name but one she took after reaching the surface)
We meet after she shot a few arrows into the back of the party fighter a Human named Kage.(two were critical hits as I recall) Being a monk I quickly closed the distance between us and knocked her out. The party questioned her, deducing she was in league with the Lich Aurak we were hunting. She explained how she was enslaved by a Aurak through cursed amulet that would cause her unbearable pain if she disobeyed. So my character destroyed the amulet believing no one deserved to controlled like that. She became a recurring ally appearing every few adventures.

Zath always encouraged her to try and be kind and generous to people on the surface and in time they'd be kind and generous back.

In the beginning she dated Kage... the guy she turned into a pin cushion. He eventually dumped her and married some Priestess NPC,(I wasn't there for that adventure and was filled in after the fact). Kage was later taken by the enemy and transformed into a Death Knight and sent against the party.(The player want to try being a Sorcerer).

The relationship actually started with this side conversation that went something like this.
"Its to bad you monks have vows of celibacy or I'd have gone after you instead of Kage."
"What? I have no such Vows."
"You don't"
"Who the hell would ask an Elf to go a thousand years without carnal release?"

That led to the start of the relationship. Further on due to a cultural misunderstanding he bought a ring from a human trader and intended to give it to her because she liked Shiny things. It was pointed out to him that among the human nobility and rich merchant that it was a engagement ring. And knowing she'd been reading some human romance novels Zath'a'Rass wisely decided to keep the ring to himself for awhile.

Unfortunately Max the sorcerer was a bit of a **** and decided to tell Daria about the ring. Before I could strangle him a little she demanded that we talk. Now Zath'a'Rass tried to explain he hadn't understood the meaning of the ring when he bought it but she said. "If there's something you want to ask, do it now or forget about it forever." So my character got down on one knee and asked the big question. She took the ring admired it no her finger, looked at Zath'a'Rass looked at the ring then back to my monk before saying. "I'll think about it" and slamming the door in my face. She thankfully didn't make him wait too long accepting the proposal the following morning but saying in no uncertain terms it'd be a very long engagement.

Some people in the world questioned a suface Elf courting a Drow then those people remembered Zath’a’Rass could kill a mature adult Red Dragon in single combat and wisely kept any objections to themselves. In terms of their personalities out of combat he was the nicer guy. Friendly, polite overall nice dude while she’d be more like RPG characters like Viconia from the Baldur’s Gate series or Morrigan from Dragon Age(years before that game was released). He liked the fact she’d say the things he was thinking that he just didn’t have the heart to say.

In combat, Zath’a’Rass was not nice, he would taunt his enemies, toy with them when it became clear they were outmatched. And if he had a foe well in hand he didn’t like someone jumping in to steal the kill.

Daria didn’t care how her enemies were defeated so long as she was standing and they weren’t. So not only did she not care if he swooped and joined a fight or punched a guy to defend her honor she was having she absolutely demanded it.

Awhile later the party was traveling through the underdark when Daria unexpectedly showed up looking very pissed off. She fired an arrow at Zath’a’Rass which he deflect and she screamed at him “You got me pregnant you bastard” He ‘hugged’ her until she calmed down.

He asked would you feel better knowing I’m scared too.

To which she replied “No” to which Zath’a’Rass replied. “Well good because I’m not.”

She revealed she was pregnant with triplets, he was very stunned not thinking that was even possible for Elves even Drow.
Max the asshat Sorcerer posed the question.
“How do you even know they're yours.”
At which point the rest of the party and the allied NPC’s tackled Zath’a’Rass to the ground to prevent him from strangling Max. Things settled in he doted on her, they had a quicky wedding despite Zath'a'Rass explaining that Elves had no taboo about children being born out of wedlock. They argued over whose sur name they should take. He argued for his own Silvermoon because it went back ten generations she argued for hers Dazzleton because she made it up after escaping to the surface world.

He won that argument but only because when it looked like he'd never return from the final battle to save the world she promised the gods she'd give anything to let him come home. "even take his family name." And because Zath'a'Rass had ears good enough to hear an Owl gliding in for the kill beyond a stonewall. He heard her cry out to the heavens from a long way away.

After saving the world they settled down to raise theirs, which according to her would number at least a dozen.

dragoeniex
2019-07-20, 08:35 AM
This thread has made for a fun read while I kill time at my support job, which is roughly as active as a ghost town on Saturdays. So thanks, All!

My most significant D&D romance took place in Waterdeep. (Spoiler-light.) It involved my young aasimar bard, Marianne Feldsier, earning the admiration of Renaer Neverember very early on by finding him tied up under some floorboards and freeing him. Mild flirting between the two was peppered throughout the ensuing rescue mission. She was a young court recorder with a flare for dramatizing every event she came across and lived life like a story. So when she began fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with a handsome Prince Charming type, of course she'd play into her roll of gallant rescuer.

The favor was returned very shortly when the lv 1 lass was taken out by a single, magic ray. Renaer rushed to her side and brought her back up with the healing potion she'd given him for good luck at the adventure's beginning.

While this was all very charming and mutually-heroic for a first meeting, the real fun of the couple came from how the DM colored Renaer's personality to play off Marianne's. They were not just a pair of hopeless romantics; they were also a pair of excitable dorks! When the party decided to hold a seance two sessions later, Marianne and Renaer bounced up and down in their chairs while the others finished preparations. Marianne had been the one to insist they try to befriend a local ghost, while Renaer had always wanted the opportunity to see one.

The bond was cemented when he asked her to a fancy party, and they worked together to smuggle an obscene amount of cucumber sandwiches into a private opera viewing.

Tiadoppler
2019-07-20, 01:56 PM
My party loves this stuff.

Geeks in love:

(PC) Outcast Combat Wizard meets (PC) Nerdy, Pacifist Knowledge Cleric
Wizard's social anxiety prevent him from talking to his crush
Cleric's insight sees right through Wizard's attempts to hide his feelings
After many years of adventuring together, working closely together, and having her life saved several times, Cleric gives up on subtlety
Cleric sits Wizard down and orders him to propose to her already
And they lived happily ever after

Attracted to power:

(PC) Celestial Warlock meets (NPC) Patron
Warlock grew up in a society that worshiped Patron as a local goddess
Warlock adventured for many years, growing stronger and stronger until she rivaled her patron in power
Patron freed Warlock from her obligations voluntarily and offered her a job
Warlock spent several years trying to seduce Patron, until she finally succeeded
They're dating now. It's casual, but has the potential to grow over time

These people have terrible luck:
1st Campaign:

(PC) Neutral Good Pyromancer meets (NPC) Neutral Evil-but-not-unnecessarily-cruel Draconic Sorceress
Sparks fly (literally and figuratively)
Sorceress turns to the side of good over several years of Pyromancer's influence
At the end of the campaign, someone needs to perform a ritual granting them great power, but also sacrificing their free will and sanity. Sorceress volunteers herself.
During the ritual, Pyromancer deceives the party, sacrificing himself in place of the Sorceress and saving the world

2nd Campaign:

(PC) Neutral Good Draconic Sorceress reunites with (NPC) True Neutral/Insane Pyromancer
Sparks fly (literally and figuratively)
Sorceress tries to redeem Pyromancer (the way he once redeemed her), but fails
Pyromancer continues to act as an antagonist to the party
The party finds an artifact that could cure the Pyromancer's insanity
The party forgets to bring the artifact with them the day they go chasing the Pyromancer
The party is forced to kill the Pyromancer to save the world
Sorceress has a major psychological breakdown at being unnecessarily forced to kill her boyfriend and starts sliding back towards neutrality, if not evil