PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Healer Monsters

ZenBear
2019-07-11, 12:25 AM
How dangerous/unbalanced would it be to give a monster the Healer feat? Considering the wild disparity between PCs that get 1 HD per level and monsters that get however many HD they need to reach the desired HP range, it seems like the "plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice" portion would make things interesting. Has anyone used the Healer feat on an allied NPC?

MrStabby
2019-07-11, 02:42 AM
I would start from the far end and ask what you are looking to achieve.

What impact do you want the ability to have on the game and can you design an ability that better achieves your objectives.

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-11, 05:14 AM
Monsters I'd be wary of adding this to, but humanoid enemies could have 1 or 2 in their ranks with the feat added.
I reckon it could make a Goblin encounter a bit more interesting if 1 of them spent its time quickly bandaging wounds of the fighters.

Quoz
2019-07-11, 05:59 AM
Pull PC-style tricks for intelligent enemies. Give them the same death saves as pcs, and let them yo-yo heal when down. Force the PCs to double tap, dealing damage to already downed enemies to keep them down. Have the enemy caster have an invisible familiar administering healing potions and goodberries, but dont tell them why the minions keep getting back up to fight.

ZenBear
2019-07-11, 12:56 PM
I’m considering adding this to my Skaven Packmaster. Here’s the rough draft:

Packmaster
These specially trained Skaven are experts at goading their charges - ferocious, half-mad creatures who can turn and attack with no warning. For this reason, Packmasters are themselves cagey and fierce warriors or, if they are not, they quickly end up as another meal for their merciless packs.
Small humanoid, chaotic evil
AC: 14 (hide armor) HP: 27 (6d6+6) Spd: 30
STR: 10 (0) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHA: 8 (-1)
Skills: Animal Handling +6, Medicine +6
Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the Skaven has disadvantage on Attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
Keen Smell. The Skaven has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
Pack Tactics. The Skaven has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
Cunning Action. On each of its turns, the Packmaster can use a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Sneak Attack (1/Turn). The Packmaster deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the night runner that isn’t incapacitated and the night runner doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Actions:
Medicate: The Packmaster spends one use of a healer’s kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6+4 hit points, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. A creature must complete a short or long rest before it can gain HP from this ability again.
Goad: One beast or monstrosity the Packmaster can see within 30 feet of it can use its reaction to move half its movement speed and make a melee attack if it can hear the Packmaster.
Shortsword: +4, 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage.
Whip: +4, 4 (1d4+2) piercing damage, reach.
Bite: +4, 4 (1d4+2) piercing damage.
CR: 1/2

The relevant bit is the Medicate action. I could just make it function like a spell with X uses per rest, I suppose, but it’s supposed to be nonmagical.

stoutstien
2019-07-12, 09:54 AM
Wouldn't it be easier just to give the NPCs a second wind knock off?