PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a society in a Kingmaker-like game

Divine Susuryu
2019-07-11, 02:11 AM
I've got a game coming up that's in the vein of the Kingmaker AP (although it doesn't use the kingdom building mechanics from the AP). The DM has explicitly given us a nearly free rein in how we use our resources, and I'll be playing a wizard. What can I do in Pathfinder for society building? Not every suggestion will be approved by the DM, of course, but the more options I have the more interesting I can make it.

Current ideas
Cauldrons of Plenty and Decanters of Endless Water for large scale sustenance.
Lyres of Building for public works.
Purify Food and Drink to keep food stored indefinitely.
Recruiting Ineritor's Crusaders for law enforcement.

Premade magic items, custom magic items, constructs to build (no Trompe l'Oeil), or something else, suggest them all!

Saintheart
2019-07-11, 02:51 AM
This is probably not a bad place to start (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222007-The-Definitive-Guide-to-the-Tippyverse-By-Emperor-Tippy) when contemplating how breakable the rules are at societal levels. Read and cherrypick.

In summary, though? Magic traps. Magic traps everywhere.

Quarian Rex
2019-07-11, 02:08 PM
In summary, though? Magic traps. Magic traps everywhere.

Or maybe don't do that. It's one of the dodgier/more contentious aspects of the Tippyverse. Basing a society around what many consider to be an under cost, anti-RAI, exploit may not be the best idea. At the very least, have a deep discussion with your DM to see if he is cool with the concept, and make a judjement call yourself on whether you think he is actually capable of handling that situation. I've seen a lot of DMs sa 'Do whatever you want' and then choke when they see the results. Directing society scale resources at underpriced infinite-cast magic will leave most DMs completely unable to deal with the situation. So they won't, and the game dies.

As for actual suggestions, see if the DM will allow an architectural bonus for magical item creation (half cost but the item is immobile). Have a look at the Stronghold Builders Guide from 3.0 for options and ideas. Depending on the level, Simulacrum can be a great way to fill out key positions in the leadership, army, and guard. Remember, running a kingdom is not the same as dungeon delving. Things don't need to be the same CR as you to be useful.

Another idea might be to use Monks as the basis of your police force. Can be employed large-scale with absolutely zero equipment costs to the kingdom. High movement speed (due to class ability if high enough level, or just due to lack of armor speed penalty) means quick response to problems. Good saves, Still Mind, and Wis. focus means that your police will be resistant to mental manipulation (extremely important in a magical setting). Lack of armor and easy application of non-lethal damage means you can scale the perceived threat/intimidation factor of your police to your preference easily, anywhere from casually dressed neighborhood helper to masked death-dealers who remove hearts with their bare hands. Provides you with a lot of options.