PDA

View Full Version : Invocations: Tomb of Levistus vs Trickster's Escape

Jerrykhor
2019-07-11, 03:07 AM
As you know, warlock have these new Invocations in XGTE. Now Tomb of Levistus interests me for being able to save my bacon every short rest. But one of its drawbacks is losing the next turn as it reduces your speed to 0, and become Incapacitated.

I also have Trickster's Escape, which allows me to cast Freedom of Movement once a day. Assuming the Tomb's effect is magical, Freedom of Movement says that 'spells and other magical effects can neither reduce the target's speed nor cause the target to be paralyzed or restrained'.

Would Freedom of Movement protects me from those drawbacks? It sounds like it would. Though I'm not sure how my DM would take it if i pop this 100 thp thing and still fight on like nothing happen.

Also, I've heard the 'Paralyzed is not Incapacitated' before, but i would argue that if Paralyzed says you are Incapacitated, being immune to Paralyzed would also means being immune to Incapacitated.

Darkstar952
2019-07-11, 03:12 AM
You would still be incapacitated as even though paralysed causes incapacitated they are still separate conditions, and freedom of movement makes no mention of affecting the incapacitated condition.

So you would be able to move, but due to incapacitated you would be unable to take an action or reaction.

Fable Wright
2019-07-11, 03:42 AM
That's actually a pretty funny mental image. The Warlock protects against the dragon's breath by shielding themselves in a block of ice... which just sort of does a bizarre glide before thawing out in a few seconds.

Also, immune to incapacitated would mean taking actions while unconscious, so you... really SHOULD never have a way to be immune to that, anywhere in the system.

Segev
2019-07-11, 08:58 AM
Does this mean that freedom of movement lets you move (but not take actions/reactions/bonus actions) while unconscious?

tieren
2019-07-11, 09:06 AM
Does this mean that freedom of movement lets you move (but not take actions/reactions/bonus actions) while unconscious?

I guess it depends on interpretation. Spell says it protects from other spells and magical effects that cause those conditions, not natural ones. So maybe it would be protection from the sleep spell, but not just nodding off on your own.