PDA

View Full Version : List of Reptilian Races?

Palanan
2019-07-11, 08:27 AM
Is there a list of all the reptilian races in 3.PF, both playable and monstrous?

I’ve been thinking about a campaign setting with only scalykind, broadly speaking, and wondered what options were out there. I’m not interested in templates like dragonborn or human variants like silverbrow—I’m looking for standalone races, such as nagaji and vishkanya in Pathfinder or the classic lizardfolk in 3.5.

Also, we’re being inclusive here, so amphibian races like grippli and bullywugs are also welcome, even though they’re not technically reptiles. Is there a full list of all these races?

If not, can we build one?

bullywugs - Monsters of Faerûn
grippli - MM
kobold - MM
lizardfolk - MM
nagaji - Advanced Race Guide
o'bati - online
reptoids - Bestiary 5
rilkans - MoI
saurials - ???
sivs - Monsters of Faerûn
skarn - MoI
vishkanya - Advanced Race Guide
yuan-ti - MM

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-11, 09:49 AM
Skarn has reptile subtype. Kobold too. Obati, from the wizards archive fits. Rilkan also has reptile subtype. Siv from one of the forgotten realms supplements. Bullywugs are prolly somewhere in 3.5. Scaly kind as a taxonomic grouping is explained somewhere in serpent kingdoms

weckar
2019-07-11, 10:20 AM
Yuan-Ti? Yuan-ti.

And, depending on how deeply you read their racial history, Raptorans may still count.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-11, 10:39 AM
Saurials are in one of the web expansions to a book too

Palanan
2019-07-11, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo
Skarn has reptile subtype. Kobold too. Obati, from the wizards archive fits. Rilkan also has reptile subtype. Siv from one of the forgotten realms supplements. Bullywugs are prolly somewhere in 3.5.

Sivs and bullywugs are both in the 3.0 Monsters of Faerûn supplement, not sure if they were updated later.

I'd never even heard of skarn or rilkan, since I've never looked at MoI. Good catch on those.

Obati, from the wizards archive fits.

Never heard of these, either, and I can't seem to find them online. Are you sure that's the correct spelling?

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-11, 12:31 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040530a

Palanan
2019-07-11, 12:34 PM
Interesting, thanks. Apparently the apostrophe makes all the difference.

Also, Bestiary 5 has the reptoids, a rather silly nod to modern conspiracy theories.

HighWater
2019-07-11, 01:01 PM
Troglodyte - Monster Manual 1; Interesting tidbits: they have a very good natural armor bonus (+6) and they stink! Literally! It will make you roll saves!

Elkad
2019-07-11, 02:31 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040530a

Wow. Not even close to a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, and yet it has a higher LA. A climb speed isn't that valuable.

Venger
2019-07-11, 03:01 PM
muckdwellers from serpent kingdoms. fantastic la0 race. tiny, great dex boost.

Thurbane
2019-07-11, 04:52 PM
Most of these are listed already, but this is what I found here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=reptilian&tablesort=1

Asabi
Crucian
Dragonkin
Firenewt
Kobold
Naga, Asp
Naga, Chameleon
Naga, Cobra
Naga, Constrictor
Naga, Greensnake
Phaerlock
Pterafolk

Also: Lizardfolk (Blackscale), Saurial (Bladeback, Finhead, Flyer, Hornhead), Skarn, Troglizard and Troglodyte.

The Viscount
2019-07-11, 05:42 PM
Saurials are in one of the web expansions to a book too

That book would be Serpent Kingdoms (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040717a). There are 3 of them; the preview only shows one.

Extaminaar from Champions of Ruin do lack the reptilian subtype, but they're definitely serpentine in appearance and are descended from human and yuan-ti intermingling.

DrMotives
2019-07-12, 01:04 AM
Scaled Stalker (miniatures handbook) - Basically an ogre that looks like a dinosaur-person. Or a villain from an 80s cartoon.

Reptilian Creature (Savage species) - Now every humanoid ever published is a reptile!

Also, the anthropomorphic template for any reptile or dinosaur will give you options too, in case reptilian creature isn't enough. Or slap reptilian creature on an anthro animal, go nuts. Hide your sources even better from your players that way.

Dalmosh
2019-07-12, 04:52 AM
Tren (Serpent Kingdoms) - lizardman/troglodyte hybrid
Khaasta (Fiend Folio) - extraplanar lizardmen from Outlands

Palanan
2019-07-12, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
Most of these are listed already, but this is what I found here….

Excellent, thanks.

Originally Posted by DrMotives
Scaled Stalker (miniatures handbook) - Basically an ogre that looks like a dinosaur-person. Or a villain from an 80s cartoon.

Originally Posted by Dalmosh
Tren (Serpent Kingdoms) - lizardman/troglodyte hybrid

Two more I’d never heard of, both good catches.

Looking through the Miniatures Handbook, I also found the crucian, which I’d never heard of either. Medium humanoid with the reptilian subtype, basically turtle-orcs. Probably why they’re never mentioned in the Playground.

It’s in the list Thurbane generated, but this is the first time I’ve actually read the entry. Good contender for "most obscure reptilian humanoid."

SirNibbles
2019-07-12, 12:53 PM
Also, the anthropomorphic template for any reptile or dinosaur will give you options too, in case reptilian creature isn't enough. Or slap reptilian creature on an anthro animal, go nuts. Hide your sources even better from your players that way.

The Anthropomorphic Animal template makes Monstrous Humanoids. Normally, only Humanoids can be Reptilians, and Anthropomorphic Animals don't explicitly mention circumventing this rule. The Reptilian Creature template from Savage Species does make an exception to that rule.

"Reptilian: The creature is a humanoid with reptilelike characteristics." - Monster Manual, page 297

"These creatures are scaly and usually coldblooded. The reptilian subtype is only used to describe a set of humanoid races, not all animals and monsters that are truly reptiles." - SRD: Reptilian Subtype

DEMON
2019-07-12, 02:10 PM
Most of these are listed already, but this is what I found here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=reptilian&tablesort=1

It’s in the list Thurbane generated, but this is the first time I’ve actually read the entry. Good contender for "most obscure reptilian humanoid."

FYI - Some monsters on that list are written as "Reptillian", so searching for "Repti" will give you 7 more entries:

Dragonkin (duplicate listing from different sourcebook)
Half-Illithid Lizardfolk
Khaasta
Lizardfolk, Blackscale
Ophidian
Rilkan
Yuan-ti (Template)

And Skarn is listed as "Retillian", so there might be even more creatures hiding on that list with typos in their type.

Efrate
2019-07-12, 04:00 PM
Tortles from dragon magazine 315. Turtle people. Name after your favorite renaissance artists if you so desire. Sobeks from dreamscarred press akashic mysteries are crocodile people.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-12, 04:03 PM
Are kappa in a book?

Thurbane
2019-07-12, 04:05 PM
Yep: Oriental Adventures p.169.

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Kappa.jpg

DEMON
2019-07-12, 05:06 PM
Tortles from dragon magazine 315. Turtle people. Name after your favorite renaissance artists if you so desire.

Even if I didn't desire so, which I obviously do, I'd feel obliged to.

Palanan
2019-07-12, 08:33 PM
Are kappa in a book?

Originally Posted by Thurbane
Yep: Oriental Adventures p.169.

Also in Pathfinder's Bestiary 3, where they’re considered monstrous humanoids with the aquatic subtype.

Dalmosh
2019-07-13, 03:16 AM
Do Outsiders count? Xill are described as "quasi-reptilian"

Palanan
2019-07-13, 09:10 AM
For purposes of this list, I'd like to keep it focused on reptilian races, i.e. humanoids with the reptilian subtype, give or take.

Definitely no outsiders, not the direction I'm looking at.

Meditation
2019-07-15, 01:09 AM
Ophiduans, Dreamscarred Press. 3rd party is usually an obvious non-answer but in this case, as I'm sure all here know, Dreamscarred is in a pseudo-elevated position since it pulls several subsystems, most notably psionics then Bo9S materials, into PF, so it has semi-official status, to better-than-official to some. In any event, Ophiduans are reptilians with the psionic subtype and have a good number of race-specific archetypes, but few feats and the like.

Also from the same company: the Sobek, hailing from their veilweaving (incarnum expy) line.

Dalmosh
2019-07-15, 01:40 AM
There are heaps of Yuan-ti varieties scattered about, like Anathema, Ignan, Brood Guard, Tainted One

The Sarkrith from Fiend Folio are probably relevant too, if nonplayable.

Serpent Kingdoms has heaps of seldom mentioned reptilian races

Bohandas
2019-07-21, 09:02 AM
Are kappa in a book?

Yeah, but for whatever reason they only have the [aquatic] subtype and not [reptilian] IIRC

Thurbane
2019-07-21, 04:48 PM
Interestingly with Crucians (another turtle-like race), they have the Reptilian subtype in their original printing in the Miniatures Handbook, but don't have it in their reprinting in Sandstorm.

In my games, they retain the subtype.

AFAIK, this is the only aspect of the creature that changed in between printings.

ShurikVch
2019-07-23, 05:32 AM
Pterran (Dragon #319)

Slig (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised)

Zokujin (Creatures of Rokugan)