PDA

View Full Version : Question: What will happen to Thrym in the end?

Mad Humanist
2019-07-11, 10:16 AM
I assume Hel's plan will be ultimately defeated (presumably by the end of this book). What will Thrym do? Will he remain loyal to Hel? Will he storm off looking for better fed young goddesses? Will Hel finally kick him out (and what song would be playing in the background as she did so?)? Or will his obsequious toadiness receive some other more creative sort of undoing?

Vulsutyr
2019-07-11, 11:01 AM
Personally, I’m hoping that Hel, in desperate straits, asks for him to sacrifice something for her, and he refuses, having realized that her ship is sinking and she doesn’t love him. Or maybe he is too desperate and he does it anyway to try to earn Hel’s love.

Fyraltari
2019-07-11, 11:02 AM
He's an immortal demi-god, besides havuign lost a bunch of Frost Giants, I don't see how he could lose anything here. It's not like he already has a relationship with Hel or anything.

Schroeswald
2019-07-11, 12:40 PM
Personally, I’m hoping that Hel, in desperate straits, asks for him to sacrifice something for her, and he refuses, having realized that her ship is sinking and she doesn’t love him. Or maybe he is too desperate and he does it anyway to try to earn Hel’s love.

I think the first one would be great.

Particle_Man
2019-07-11, 12:41 PM
He will go back to his realm, play some music (something by They Might be Giants, perhaps?), and get over his unrequited crush.

Dion
2019-07-11, 02:43 PM
He will go back to his realm, play some music (something by They Might be Giants, perhaps?), and get over his unrequited crush.

He’ll play along on the theremin.

mucat
2019-07-11, 02:53 PM

So his taste in music is better than his taste in women?

woweedd
2019-07-11, 05:23 PM
Or, rather, their fantasy counterpart, "They're Definitely Dwarves".

ti'esar
2019-07-11, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure I can think of a worse comeuppance for Thrym than simply being Thrym, TBH.

factotum
2019-07-12, 01:26 AM
Likely answer: we won't find out because it's entirely irrelevant to the plot. Unless there's a sort of "where are they now" wrap-up done once the story is concluded.

Jannoire
2019-07-12, 04:43 AM
Hel asks him to sacrifice something for The Plan (TM) and he will do it. Hel then realizes the length he would go to for her and falls in love.
They live happily ever after

woweedd
2019-07-12, 05:13 AM
Hel asks him to sacrifice something for The Plan (TM) and he will do it. Hel then realizes the length he would go to for her and falls in love.
They live happily ever after
That doesn't really seem likely...On multiple levels.

factotum
2019-07-12, 05:39 AM

You never know, maybe Hel is actually really a nice person and it's only the limits to her worship imposed by the bet that has turned her so cranky? We know gods can change according to their worshippers, after all.

woweedd
2019-07-12, 06:24 AM
You never know, maybe Hel is actually really a nice person and it's only the limits to her worship imposed by the bet that has turned her so cranky? We know gods can change according to their worshippers, after all.
I mean...I kinda doubt it. I'm pretty sure worshippers just make her a more stable and relatively sane brand of Evil.

Bacon Elemental
2019-07-12, 07:41 AM

Astonishing

D.One
2019-07-12, 08:47 AM
Astonishing

S-Men :smalltongue:

Heksefatter
2019-07-12, 09:31 AM
He ends up writing misogynic (but only towards goddesses) posts on the divine equivalent of online message boards.

D.One
2019-07-12, 10:00 AM
He ends up writing misogynic (but only towards goddesses) posts on the divine equivalent of online message boards.

He'll abandon the fight and the plan to return to the form he's taken in a previous world, where he was far more than a simple demigod: Thrym, God of Ice Cream and Popsicles, loved everywhere, bearer of refreshment in hot days, smoother of moods, The One Who Enjoys the Summer.

Mad Humanist
2019-07-12, 01:04 PM
Likely answer: we won't find out because it's entirely irrelevant to the plot. Unless there's a sort of "where are they now" wrap-up done once the story is concluded.

Well if we don't find out that gives us license to come up with our won answer, which we can develop here. If it turns out to be a wrap-up montage with one or two panels per set of characters, then I think this duo has a lot of comic potential, which I am sure Rich will exploit to the full.

This seems quite a strong possibility. I doubt it would actually get written but I can see potential for a sequel, where Thrym the Incel is a somewhat pathetic evil opponent in his own right.

HorizonWalker
2019-07-12, 02:01 PM
I'm reminded of the funniest thing I've ever read in some D&D homebrew, under an NPC Prestige Class' class skills:

"I don't care, and neither should you."

I have nothing else to contribute, I just thought that line was funny and appropriate to the situation.

Mad Humanist
2019-07-12, 02:50 PM
I'm reminded of the funniest thing I've ever read in some D&D homebrew, under an NPC Prestige Class' class skills:

"I don't care, and neither should you."

I have nothing else to contribute, I just thought that line was funny and appropriate to the situation.

If you don't think this thread should exist, can't you just ignore it?

Rrmcklin
2019-07-12, 03:05 PM
Why would anything happen to Thrym here?

HorizonWalker
2019-07-12, 03:44 PM
If you don't think this thread should exist, can't you just ignore it?

That's not quite what I was trying to say, and also, sorry for crapping on you like that. Mostly I just wanted to share a funny joke I heard recently, while forgetting that strangers on the internet are the wrong people to be playfully rude at.

D.One
2019-07-12, 04:02 PM
Why would anything happen to Thrym here?

Well, anything can happen, something can happpen, and even nothing can happen. They confused all the time, as Roy learnt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0226.html).

Honest Tiefling
2019-07-12, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Loki seduced him away from Hel. Loki can take the form of anything (Maybe Thyrm is into some weird stuff, just saying), and it would explain why Hel is so cranky with him. I had dibs on that, DAD.

Ruck
2019-07-12, 08:02 PM
He realizes that the bookish demigoddess who always seems to be there to listen to his girl problems was the one for him all along.

Dion
2019-07-12, 10:30 PM
He realizes that the bookish demigoddess who always seems to be there to listen to his girl problems was the one for him all along.

And that demigoddess is Thor in disguise!

RatElemental
2019-07-12, 10:47 PM
Hel actually starts a relationship with him. And, being Hel, it turns out to be not all sunshine and rainbows for him.

diremage
2019-07-12, 10:50 PM
And that demigoddess is Thor in disguise!

He falls madly in love with Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse, and together they make a race of eight-legged giant horses for his frost giants to ride.

My actual bet, if I were making bets, would be on Hel's eternal punishment for her scheme to be stuck as Thrym's wife. Thrym is thrilled until he realizes just how capable she is of making everyone around her miserable including him.

They definitely deserve each other.

Dion
2019-07-12, 11:06 PM
{scrubbed}

Heksefatter
2019-07-13, 02:10 AM
{scrubbed}

Jannoire
2019-07-13, 03:46 AM
He falls madly in love with Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse, and together they make a race of eight-legged giant horses for his frost giants to ride.

My actual bet, if I were making bets, would be on Hel's eternal punishment for her scheme to be stuck as Thrym's wife. Thrym is thrilled until he realizes just how capable she is of making everyone around her miserable including him.

Makes me think of a Hilgya-Ivan-relationship on a divine level. He loves it and she's trying to poison him...

I know that the comic doesn't have much to do with actual Norse myths, but try looking up the original myth where Thrym appears and who he almost married.

{scrubbed}... And OOTS-Thrym doesn't seem that sneaky to me

Heksefatter
2019-07-13, 04:25 AM
{scrubbed}

Kantaki
2019-07-13, 04:25 AM
That was after Thrym stole something valuable... And OOTS-Thrym doesn't seem that sneaky to me

:smallfrown:But Thor would look great in a wedding dress.:smallfrown:
:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Heksefatter
2019-07-13, 07:16 AM

They definitely deserve each other.

Actually, in-comic that is a pretty good guess if we learn more of the fates of Thrym and Hel. I would guess that we just see Hel's anger and disappointment, but not much more. But if I am wrong, your guess is a good one.

I can also see Hel not being formally punished for her actions, but having to marry him on some technicality brought up by Thor and Loki.

The Pilgrim
2019-07-13, 07:28 AM
Makes me think of a Hilgya-Ivan-relationship on a divine level. He loves it and she's trying to poison him...

The more I know about Dwarves in the OOTS, the more I think Ivan was not so much mentaly derranged as living in denial because loving her wife was the honorable thing to do.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-13, 11:40 AM
I see Thrym as just being a guy who is hoping to woo a girl because he likes her. He barely cares about the power or anything (useful, but largely irrelevant), he just was hoping to go have a nice dinner or something.
He'll probably have crushed dreams and stuff for a century and then move on.

The "Thrym becomes Hel's wife as her punishment" bit is kind of funny though.

Jannoire
2019-07-14, 04:18 AM
The "Thrym becomes Hel's wife as her punishment" bit is kind of funny though.

Was that on purpose, because Thrym seems to be the sensible one with hopes for a little romance? Or did you mean that Thrym becomes Hel's husband?

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-14, 03:31 PM
He'll find work in a venue that will appreciate his unique talents (https://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/).

Is Peelee a mod now?

Peelee
2019-07-14, 03:33 PM
He'll find work in a venue that will appreciate his unique talents (https://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/).

Is Peelee a mod now?

Along with a few others, yep! You can find out more here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?592459-Welcome-New-Mods!).

Heksefatter
2019-07-14, 05:27 PM
All hail the dragon.

Peelee
2019-07-14, 06:25 PM
All hail the dragon.

You cool with my sigging this?

Heksefatter
2019-07-14, 06:29 PM
You cool with my sigging this?

Heh. Definitely!

Themrys
2019-07-15, 01:36 PM
He'll realize Hel never loved him and only used him, go home, stay in bed all day and eat lots of icecream, like people who have their heart broken tend to do.

And then he'll realize he could be the god of ice cream, get lots of worshippers and live happily ever after.

I love all the creative ideas people came up with (especially the one about Loki seducing him, that's totally a thing mythological Loki would do), but Hel falling in love with him? Nope. Never happens. Not getting the cue she's just not that into you is the most unattractive thing a man can do, and the comic strongly hints at the author knowing that. (All stories where women give in to incessant pestering and it's portrayed as true love, not as abusive relationship in the making, are male wish fulfillment - and we really, really don't need more of that.)

I could see her asking him to sacrifice something for her cause and promise to marry him if he does, he does it, and then she is all "Lol, I lied".

And then he might get the clue.

Was that on purpose, because Thrym seems to be the sensible one with hopes for a little romance? Or did you mean that Thrym becomes Hel's husband?

Do you mean sensitive? Because sensible (in the usual English meaning that I know) is a thing he pretty obviously is not ...

He may have sensibility, but he surely doesn't have any sense.

Khay
2019-07-15, 03:25 PM
In the main comic, he finally has the concept of a "one-sided crush" explained to him and bails. In the book extras, Loki arranges a series of wacky rebound dates for him. Calling it now.

Peelee
2019-07-15, 04:06 PM
In the main comic, he finally has the concept of a "one-sided crush" explained to him and bails. In the book extras, Loki arranges a series of wacky rebound dates for him. Calling it now.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-15, 08:03 PM

"Thyrm's Second Chance: A Match Made By Loki and Poor Judgement"

Jannoire
2019-07-16, 02:27 AM
Do you mean sensitive? Because sensible (in the usual English meaning that I know) is a thing he pretty obviously is not ...

He may have sensibility, but he surely doesn't have any sense.

Yup, sorry. Must've been my German roots confusing me. In German, 'sensibel' means to be susceptible for emotional or physical pain, or just very empathic...
Do you see, why one could mix up 'sensibel' and 'sensible'?

factotum
2019-07-16, 01:10 PM
Yup, sorry. Must've been my German roots confusing me. In German, 'sensibel' means to be susceptible for emotional or physical pain, or just very empathic...

"Sensible" in English can actually mean more or less the same thing--one of its definitions is "cognizant; keenly aware", so saying "He was sensible of his faults" means he's very aware of them. It's a fairly archaic usage, though, so you don't see it very often.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-16, 01:12 PM

Ah, false friends (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend). How I don't miss them. Sensible even makes it the opening paragraph.

Grey Wolf

hroþila
2019-07-16, 01:17 PM
Sensible in Spanish works just like sensibel in German. I spent much of my childhood quite confused by Sensible Soccer.

137beth
2019-07-17, 05:44 PM
And then Hel reports all his posts to the mods, and so Odin has to create a bunch more mods (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?592459-Welcome-New-Mods!) and that is how Pelee and others become mods.

All hail the dragon.

Tiamat is pleased.

Heksefatter
2019-07-22, 01:50 PM
And then Hel reports all his posts to the mods, and so Odin has to create a bunch more mods (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?592459-Welcome-New-Mods!) and that is how Pelee and others become mods.

Tiamat is pleased.

And thus, the influence of dragonkind grows, which was why Tiamat set up a date between Thrym and Hel in the first place. It all adds up now.