PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help picking my Eldritch Invocations

Buddy76
2019-07-11, 11:27 AM
So I've been playing a rather unorthodox character for the past few months. He's now a Sea Elf Kensei 3/ GOO Bladelock 6 which I know is not synergetic, but I've rolled good ability scores (and we started at level 5) so the idea of a Cthulhu worshiping jedi was too good for me to pass.

My current build is as follows: Str 11 |Dex 20 |Con 14 | Char 16 | Wis 14| Int 10

Invocations: Armor of Shadows, Eldritch Sight and Thirsting Blade. We are not using feats in our game.

So far I've been holding my own as a mobile striker. My pact/Kensei weapon is a longsword, which I use two handed, so my damage output is ok (I generally also throw an unarmed strike as a bonus action). With High AC (22 with Bracers of Defense), plus Armor of Agathys, 4 Ki points, Entropic Ward and relatively frequent short rests my survivability has also been good.

My plan is to take the next 11 levels in Warlock but I have no actual gaming experience in mid/high level 5e. Which invocations do you guys suggest? Lifedrinker is a given because I'll max my charisma by level 15 right when it comes online.

I'm looking for ways to boost my damage and/or increase my mobility. So far I've considered Eldritch Smite, Relentless Hex (Hex has been my bread and butter) and Ascendant Step but I've never seen any of those in play. Are there any others I should think about?

Thanks!

Nagog
2019-07-11, 12:15 PM
You seem to have a pretty good combat build there already. I'd recommend looking into something to shore up other pillars of gameplay, if you feel you're lacking there due to combat optimization. I highly recommend Mask of Many Faces, as most will due to its extreme adaptability. However, if you are in a campaign with less social interaction or feel your skills in that department are already good to go, I'd pick up Grasp of Hadar, as you can bring enemies into the range of your melee prowess if they are attempting to escape or relying on ranged attacks more.

Particle_Man
2019-07-11, 12:25 PM
Eldritch Blast for those times when your enemies are flying?

Sol
2019-07-11, 12:40 PM
If you are looking for additional combat invocations, take a look at Cloak of Flies and Maddening Hex. Relentless Hex is an okay option as well, but is also a bonus action, and generally Maddening Hex is going to be better, unless you're working against very slippery enemies.

For non-combat options, I'm a big fan of Otherworldly Leap, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, Eldritch Sight, Mask of Many Faces (later retrained into Master of Myriad Forms), Misty Visions, or One with Shadows (later retrained into Shroud of Shadow)

Obviously, that's more options than one could possibly take. If you already have a wizard, you can let them take care of detecting magic and being the resident polyglot. Illusion magic and disguise/alter self are somewhat mutually exclusive, and may or may not appeal. At-will Jump has a lot of utility overlap with at-will levitate.

I'd also note that Mage Armor does not stack with a monk's Unarmored Defense feature, (though if your DM says otherwise, congrats on the homebrew in your favor!) so your AC calculation is incorrect.

strangebloke
2019-07-11, 12:47 PM

Yeah I agree.

Although you can use a longbow, you don't get an extra attack with it, so you really want a ranged option. Once you get past level 8 or so flying enemies become pretty common and you want to be able to help when that happens.

So Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast will really help round out your character.

Ascendant step, or any of the features that grant at-will spells, are always fun. Just have the attitude that you're always looking for an excuse to levitate something and its a lot of fun.

Eldritch smite is not good at all unless you are (for some reason) having trouble using your two spell slots per short rest.

Buddy76
2019-07-11, 01:23 PM
I'd recommend looking into something to shore up other pillars of gameplay

We have no rogue in our party so I`ve been scouting pretty often and successfully (proeficiency in Stealth and Perception, plus Darkvision and Detect Magic at will give me a good tool box).

I highly recommend Mask of Many Faces, as most will due to its extreme adaptability.
Our game is pretty social, and I`m proficient in Insight. I`ve considered Mask of Many Faces but I don`t know if it`s worth it without Proficiency in Persuasion/Deception. Maybe I`ll swap Eldritch Sight for Beguiling Influence now that our Bard and Wizard have 1st level slots to spare.
The Bard has been a pretty good face, but we`re not always together so picking up some social skills might be a good idea.

I'd pick up Grasp of Hadar, as you can bring enemies into the range of your melee prowess if they are attempting to escape or relying on ranged attacks more. I thought about Grasp of Hadar, but so far I`ve been the one running towards my enemies with my 40ft speed. If I had Invocations to spare I might pick it, but I think Relentless Hex might be a better way of closing the gap.

Although you can use a longbow, you don't get an extra attack with it, so you really want a ranged option. Once you get past level 8 or so flying enemies become pretty common and you want to be able to help when that happens.

So Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast will really help round out your character.

I do have the cantrip but so far I`ve been using a longbow (may other Kensei weapon). My ranged damage will fall behind one way or the other ( either the unmodified d10`s from EB or the single attack from the longbow). I guess there`s a reason way everyone takes Agonizing Blast.

Eldritch smite is not good at all unless you are (for some reason) having trouble using your two spell slots per short rest I pretty much always cast Armor of Agathys and Hex so, yeah, my slots are in short supply.

If you are looking for additional combat invocations, take a look at Cloak of Flies and Maddening Hex. Relentless Hex is an okay option as well, but is also a bonus action, and generally Maddening Hex is going to be better, unless you're working against very slippery enemies. Cloak of Flies looks good. I`ve been using my bonus action to either unarmed strike (1d4+5) or to Disengage/Dodge. I tought it was better to take Relentless Hex and use my bonus action to teleport into melee, but I just reread Maddening Hex and realised it`s a AOO (I thought it was single target) so that`s back on the table.

I'd also note that Mage Armor does not stack with a monk's Unarmored Defense feature, (though if your DM says otherwise, congrats on the homebrew in your favor!) so your AC calculation is incorrect. Oh damn, you`re right! We mostly play 3.5 where AC stacking is more common so we all completely missed that both abilities set your base armor. I`ll talk to my DM, but since my character is not crazy strong I think he`ll allow the stacking, at least for the remainder of this campaign.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, good stuff all around. Just wish I had a couple more of Invocations Known, but I guess so does every other Warlock ever :smallbiggrin:

Sol
2019-07-11, 01:32 PM
another thought is that, since your CHA is currently only at +3, i'd honestly probably hold off on all of the +CHA to dmg sorts of invocations until you get that up to at least +4, and instead go for the at-will utility spells first.

tieren
2019-07-11, 01:46 PM
Relentless Hex can be fun on a chain lock.

Cast the hex on your familiar and get all day far step for free.

Zetakya
2019-07-11, 01:49 PM
The one that gives Darkvision - Devil Sight I think? - is pretty handy for anyone to have around, but especially for melee combat types, where it basically turns fumbling about in the dark into always having advantage for you.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-11, 02:04 PM
Im a huge proponent of Mask of Many Faces.

So awesome OOC.

Talsin
2019-07-11, 03:45 PM
I've always been partial to Devil's sight, but I've been playing a human warlock so it was more value.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-11, 05:14 PM
My current BladeLock has gotten far more use out of the Eldritch Smite Invocation than I expected. The damage bonus is worth the spell slot, especially on a critical, (you can decide whether to use it after you roll that 20) and the no-save Prone rider with no size restriction is great. It's even better if you've got other melee types in your group who can gang up on the target after you knock it down.

That one's definitely worth looking at.