PDA

View Full Version : Who swallows?

Karnitis
2019-07-11, 12:20 PM
Title above.

Recently, my group was in a swamp and had to fight down a froghemoth. It went pretty well, and it was a decent challenge b/c there are only 2 front-liners and once both were swallowed everything got intense *real* fast.

Well, skip forward a few sessions, they're going mountain climbing and I figure I'll throw a classic remorhaz their way. I noticed it too has swallow, and now I've got this weird (not sexual though I swear) idea to throw a Swallow enemy every region or so. Maybe they never realize, maybe it begins to act as a mini-boss and they get creative on how to avoid being swallowed.

Anyway, what monsters do yall know that can Swallow players? More fake points for those that can challenge a Tier-2 team, but any would be great.

Demonslayer666
2019-07-11, 12:25 PM
Behir and Purple Worm off the top of my head.

Aprender
2019-07-11, 12:54 PM
If you just need Stat blocks for the appropriate level encounter, you can use any creature with a grapple or restraining attack if you reflavor them.

strangebloke
2019-07-11, 01:04 PM
If you just need Stat blocks for the appropriate level encounter, you can use any creature with a grapple or restraining attack if you reflavor them.

yup.

More specifically, there are a lot of monsters that grapple anything they hit/bite. Like the Tyrranosaur for example.

Trickery
2019-07-11, 01:04 PM
In theory, any sufficiently large creature could do it. Besides worms, the giant toad also has a swallow ability. You could refluff a compatible stat block as some kind of toad and add this ability pretty easily.

Other types of "swallow" might include being engulfed by a gelatinous cube or other slime, being grappled -> restrained by a swarm of exotic creatures, or finding out that the dungeon you're in is actually a gargantuan creature.

Aprender
2019-07-11, 01:38 PM
I guess I'll say it and take the groans in response. This is not a good joke. Please turn away if you can't handle bad jokes. Truly, the following is not funny.

You were warned.

Succubus?

Trickery
2019-07-11, 01:40 PM
I guess I'll say it and take the groans in response. This is not a good joke. Please turn away if you can't handle bad jokes. Truly, the following is not funny.

You were warned.

Succubus?

Only if it's a giant one like the Super Hot Giant Alien from Dude Where's My Car

Goldlizard
2019-07-11, 01:44 PM
the terraque

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-11, 01:49 PM
Anyway, what monsters do yall know that can Swallow players? More fake points for those that can challenge a Tier-2 team, but any would be great. Giant Toad. We ran into a bunch of Giant Ice Toads with a Tier 3 group and due to their being quite a few of them, and them getting hot with 'to hit' we had a bit more trouble than one would expect initially as we tried to get past that whole restrained / swallowed thing.

NRSASD
2019-07-11, 01:55 PM

You were warned.

Succubus?

*Throws head of cauliflower at computer screen*

Seriously though, any huge creature with a grapple and a functioning digestion system can swallow. Giant snakes immediately come to mind.

the_david
2019-07-11, 01:57 PM
That should keep you busy for a while. (http://www.d20srd.org/search.htm?q=Swallow%20whole)

Nagog
2019-07-11, 02:07 PM
So in my world there is a magic shop that was owned by a previous NPC Companion that is a gigantic Mimic, taken the form of a shop. This allows it to be mobile and take self-defense measures of it's own to protect the valuables the NPC was selling. You could do something similar to that, and while they're inside the building, a specific closet door opens into the Mimic's throat, and have stats/abilities similar to a tentacle to grab them and pull them in

JackPhoenix
2019-07-11, 02:23 PM
Giant Frog CR 1/4 MM medium size
Giant Toad CR 1 MM large size
Giant Ice Toad CR 3 TftYP large size
Giant Subterranean Lizard CR 4 TftYP huge size
Banderhobb CR 5 VGtM large size
Behir CR 11 MM huze size
Remorhaz CR 11 MM huge size
Tarrasque CR 30 MM gargantuan size

Moltenbrisingr
2019-07-11, 02:25 PM
Two Words.. Astral Dreadnought

Disclaimer: It is not CR 2

Steel Mirror
2019-07-11, 03:07 PM
In my games, mimics have always and will always be able to swallow players that they successfully grapple.

Millstone85
2019-07-11, 03:09 PM
Two Words.. Astral Dreadnought

Disclaimer: It is not CR 2The good news is that it doesn't have a digestive system, but instead a demiplane where everything piles up. If you succeed on your death saving throws, you are likely to find a campaign's worth of monsters and treasures. Maybe even a mage's tower, where someone can be convinced to plane shift you out.

Grey Watcher
2019-07-11, 03:26 PM
While admittedly a lot of these have come up in the thread before, here's what D&D Beyond gave me when I looked up monsters with the keyword "swallow":

https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=swallow&f=monsters&c=monsters

gloryblaze
2019-07-11, 03:51 PM
Giant Frog CR 1/4 MM medium size
Giant Toad CR 1 MM large size
Giant Ice Toad CR 3 TftYP large size
Giant Subterranean Lizard CR 4 TftYP huge size
Banderhobb CR 5 VGtM large size
Behir CR 11 MM huze size
Remorhaz CR 11 MM huge size
Tarrasque CR 30 MM gargantuan size

Also

Froghemoth CR 10 VGtM
Skyswimmer CR 13 GGtR
Neothelid CR 13 VGtM
Wurm CR 14 GGtR
Juvenile Kraken CR 14 GoS
Purple Worm CR 15 MM
Astral Dreadnought CR 21 MToF
Kraken CR 23 MM

Grey Watcher
2019-07-11, 04:38 PM
While admittedly a lot of these have come up in the thread before, here's what D&D Beyond gave me when I looked up monsters with the keyword "swallow":

https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=swallow&f=monsters&c=monsters

Also

Froghemoth CR 10 VGtM
Skyswimmer CR 13 GGtR
Neothelid CR 13 VGtM
Wurm CR 14 GGtR
Juvenile Kraken CR 14 GoS
Purple Worm CR 15 MM
Astral Dreadnought CR 21 MToF
Kraken CR 23 MM

... Huh. Kraken didn't come up in my search. Apparently, you get a more complete list if you search for "swallowed", since that catches instances where it's bundled into the creature's bite attack.

Chronos
2019-07-12, 09:17 AM
And just when your players have caught on and are expecting yet another big-mouthed drooling monster, toss a spellcaster at them, whose familiar is a small, fast-moving bird with a forked tail.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-12, 09:37 AM
A small dog who's very bad at math.

Your mom. Zing!

False God
2019-07-12, 09:46 AM
Only if it's a giant one like the Super Hot Giant Alien from Dude Where's My Car

Attack of the 50ft Succubus?

blackjack50
2019-07-12, 10:01 AM
Title above.

Recently, my group was in a swamp and had to fight down a froghemoth. It went pretty well, and it was a decent challenge b/c there are only 2 front-liners and once both were swallowed everything got intense *real* fast.

Well, skip forward a few sessions, they're going mountain climbing and I figure I'll throw a classic remorhaz their way. I noticed it too has swallow, and now I've got this weird (not sexual though I swear) idea to throw a Swallow enemy every region or so. Maybe they never realize, maybe it begins to act as a mini-boss and they get creative on how to avoid being swallowed.

Anyway, what monsters do yall know that can Swallow players? More fake points for those that can challenge a Tier-2 team, but any would be great.

https://youtu.be/Qw9S7KLfCrs

How much do they need to swallow? Size matters when swallowing. Anything can potentially do that as long as it fits in their mouth. They just have to be willing and get over the texture and gag reflex.

I’m sorry. It couldn’t be helped.

Any large lizard or toad is always fun. A snake too. Anything you can flavor up larger. That is always fun.

Karnitis
2019-07-12, 10:10 AM
And just when your players have caught on and are expecting yet another big-mouthed drooling monster, toss a spellcaster at them, whose familiar is a small, fast-moving bird with a forked tail.

You mother-

I thought the succubus was bad. I didn't even catch on. I literally copypasted "spellcaster at them, whose familiar is a small, fast-moving bird with a forked tail." into Google.

Thank you for that :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, thanks! I honestly didn't expect to get many replies, as I figured there really weren't too many. But wow, this gives me a lot of play options, I really appreciate it.

That Astral Deadnaught...that's a whole 'nother level. And yet still weaker than a kraken.

But between a Behir, Young Kraken, Neothelid, maybe a swarm of Banderhobbs...I can really make their lives wet. I love it.

Aprender
2019-07-12, 12:27 PM
You mother-

I thought the succubus was bad. I

Hey, I warned about that one. :)

An encounter could take place around a whirlpool or planar gate that could pull the party underwater/to a different plane.

Lord Torath
2019-07-12, 01:54 PM
Suitably-large dragons could also swallow whole. I doubt it's one of their standard abilities, but there's no reason they couldn't. Giant crocodiles, giant fish, overly-large hippopotamuses, colossal leeches, trappers, dune trappers, ginormous Lurkers Above, the list is endless. Don't forget about whatever this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1166.html) is.

I like the wizard with the swallow for a familiar. :smallbiggrin:

Another after-they-catch-on option: re-fluff a vision-obscuring attack as a swarm of swallowtail butterflies.

Legendairy
2019-07-12, 03:36 PM
I think that’s a purple worm

GlenSmash!
2019-07-12, 04:52 PM
Who swallows?

Only the best, my friend.

Only the very best.

Tawmis
2019-07-12, 04:54 PM

You were warned.

Succubus?

She can suck a bus, they say.
:smallsigh:

I can really make their lives wet. I love it.

I just bet...!
:smallconfused:

Skrum
2019-07-12, 05:12 PM
Have a vengeful mage perma-shrink them to diminutive size (or smaller). Now everything has a swallow attack.

Trickery
2019-07-12, 07:56 PM
Have a vengeful mage perma-shrink them to diminutive size (or smaller). Now everything has a swallow attack.

Technically, diminutive size doesn't exist anymore. The smallest listed size is tiny which is assumed to contain all sizes smaller than small.

This leads to an interesting...exploit? Creatures can squeeze through a space made for a creature one size smaller than them. This means a small creature can squeeze through a tiny space. If tiny is the smallest possible size, then a small creature can technically squeeze through a hole big enough for any creature. And a tiny creature can squeeze though...the fabric of reality itself.

Of course, your DM will adjudicate and say that's not actually how that works. Or if it does work, then it will only work once.

bid
2019-07-12, 08:48 PM
I'm just gonna put this there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCtU7ZrGoUU

Fable Wright
2019-07-13, 01:45 AM
I think that’s a purple worm

It is a Nightcrawler, a CR 18 Undead from D&D 3.5e. Purple Worms don't have the intelligence or spell-like abilities it displays.