PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Tweak to War Magic

CornfedCommando
2019-07-11, 09:30 PM
I am looking to create a minor homebrew tweak to the Wizard’s School of War Magic and was interested in opinions on the matter. Specifically, if anyone sees any issues I might be missing. The changes are not too outlandish, but we very rarely create homebrewed material and so this is a bit outside my comfort zone.

The reason for the changes are more or less this; I am interested in an arcane gish. The Artificer isn’t the right flavor. The Bladesinger is race restrictive and also not quite the right flavor. I liked the old 3.5 Abjurant Champion. When I first saw the School of War Magic, it just about scratched my itch. With a few changes, I think it will do what I’d like.

The changes are thus:

Tactical Wit is removed in favor of Martial Arcanist; the character gains proficiency with simple and martial weapons.

Power Surge is replaced with Extra Attack.

That’s it. Does anyone see any problems with that? We haven’t playtested it or anything. It may not be super great, but that’s okay. My gut says this isn’t going to create issues, but another set of eyes would be helpful. Thanks!

Foxhound438
2019-07-11, 10:13 PM
Personally I like it. I might even give armor of some sort in addition to weapons, because without that you still have this weird issue of being way worse than bladesinger in terms of AC even though the class feature that gives you AC is significantly more taxing in terms of action economy. But that's a whole different rant right there.

Fable Wright
2019-07-11, 10:51 PM
You have now invented a worse Bladesinger.

—No increase to HP or Medium Armor, like the usual Hobgoblin Abjurer might employ
—None of the insane defenses, or damage reduction features, of the Bladesinger
—Still stuck with a mediocre level 14 ability due to the fact that an attack or save needs to hit you to trigger it
—Removed War Magic's best feature in that initiative boost

If I were the DM, I'd grant Medium Armor Proficiency and +1 HP/level at level 2 to offset this slightly; and the power to use your level 2 reaction ability even if you aren't hit, to make the level 14 ability slightly more useful. As you surmised, this would not break anything in the least.

bid
2019-07-11, 10:53 PM
Compare to valor bard.
Replace the wizard level 2 feature with Bonus Proficiency, the level 6 feature with Extra Attack and you get what you want, yes?

CornfedCommando
2019-07-11, 11:15 PM
I agree that the level 14 ability leaves something to be desired, in so much as the better defended you are the less likely it is to trigger. I guess that would be an issue for another day though, as I’m not really trying to totally retool the class. If I were, there are a lot of great ideas that could be considered.

I know that Tactical Wit is largely considered to be one of War Magic’s best features, but Power Surge is generally regarded as it’s worst. Figured it’s a wash there.

What if Martial Arcanist included Tactical Wit’s initiative boost in addition to the weapon proficiencies? How would that look? I kind of liked the idea of leaving armor out of it and leaving defense up to the wizard’s magical acumen, but I am open to ideas.

That being said, I get that the Bladesinger is great. I’m not necessarily looking to bring War Magic up to par or outdo the Bladesinger. Just trying to give it a little more martial oomph.

Thank you for the input!!

CornfedCommando
2019-07-11, 11:38 PM
The other suggestion I’m considering would be Potent Spellcasting in lieu of Extra Attack. You add your Intelligence modifier to the damage you deal with any wizard cantrip.

This is granted to some cleric domains at level 8, but hews closely to the school of evocation without being the same. Thus making the school of war magic a closer blend of abjuration and evocation. With the SCAG cantrips, it still allows some degree of martial aptitude even sans Extra Attack while providing a bump to ranged cantrips as well.

So what would you all say to that? Extra Attack or Potent Spellcasting? Or maybe replace Power Surge and Deflecting Shroud with Arcane Strike and Improved Arcane Strike. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target. At 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

I rather like that. Though I think I’d bump Durable Magic to level 6, then put Arcane Strike and Improved Arcane Strike at level 10 and 14. That way it’s not quite on par with the cleric, kind of how Bladesinger’s Extra Attack is not on par with Paladin or Ranger.

I also like the idea of keeping Tactical Wit, but tacking on simple and martial weapon proficiencies and renaming it Martial Arcanist.

Fable Wright
2019-07-12, 12:07 AM
I also like the idea of keeping Tactical Wit, but tacking on simple and martial weapon proficiencies and renaming it Martial Arcanist.

If you just tack on proficiencies, you might be better served by getting those from race, like Dwarf, Elf, or Hobgoblin.

Hm. Actually, a Mountain Dwarf War Mage with Extra Attack at level 6 seems like just about the ticket. Keep Tactical Wit, all the proficiencies you could need, and Extra Attack is not so big a buff for the wizard that it's likely to break anything. Should work well.

CornfedCommando
2019-07-12, 12:14 AM
If you just tack on proficiencies, you might be better served by getting those from race, like Dwarf, Elf, or Hobgoblin.

Hm. Actually, a Mountain Dwarf War Mage with Extra Attack at level 6 seems like just about the ticket. Keep Tactical Wit, all the proficiencies you could need, and Extra Attack is not so big a buff for the wizard that it's likely to break anything. Should work well.

My first idea was to go Variant Human and take the Weapon Master feat to do just that. I like playing Humans. Just a personal preference. But then I got to thinking that weapon proficiency should be a class feature if I’m going to take on Extra Attack.

After really thinking on the ideas this thread has generated, Extra Attack is probably still the way I’ll go. While Potent Spellcasting or Arcane Strike look sexy, that’s treading on the cleric’s toes. The Bladesinger established that Extra Attack can be a thing for wizards, so that’s what I’ll go with.

CornfedCommando
2019-07-12, 01:17 AM
—Still stuck with a mediocre level 14 ability due to the fact that an attack or save needs to hit you to trigger it.

If my War Magic variant were to swing wider into a full-on Abjurant Champion vibe, how would this sound for a level 14 ability:

————————————————————
ARCANE STRIKE
Once on each of your turns, when you damage a creature with a wizard spell or weapon attack, you can deal the creature an additional 1d8 force damage. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one). When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.
————————————————————

At level 14, a cleric’s Divine Strike will deal an additional 2d8 every turn without limit, but they also don’t necessarily have Extra Attack, absent multiclassing. Also, this allows the damage to be added to your spells as well. With a limited number of uses per long rest, it has a cap similar to the paladin’s Divine Smite. It doesn’t have the nova potential, but it doesn’t draw upon your spell slots and can apply to your spells as well as weapons.

It’s doing less damage on average than the current Power Surge (which sits at level 6) and Deflecting Shroud (which currently occupies level 14), but it isn’t as situational or limited and can apply to weapon attacks as well.

And it’s more or less on par with the Bladesinger, who is likely adding about the same amount of damage, if more consistently, to a weapon cantrip or two weapon attacks within a limited framework (i.e. while Bladesinging).

If I’m really looking to transform the School of War Magic to an Abjurant Champion, this might be a replacement feature that I could get behind.

EDIT:
Conversely, you could keep Arcane Strike more in the mold of Power Surge. Have the damage be equal to half your wizard level and regain one use after a short rest if you’ve previously expended all uses of it.

Fable Wright
2019-07-12, 01:39 AM
If my War Magic variant were to swing wider into a full-on Abjurant Champion vibe, how would this sound for a level 14 ability:

My biggest question is, why limit it to a long rest, rather than once per turn as it already is?

It's a level 14 feature. The Illusionist is rewriting reality. The Evoker is maxxing damage. Even the Transmuter can get off-list spells and Panacea. This ability is an extra 5d8 damage per day, which you might not even get through. Intelligence modifier to weapon or spell damage roll once on your turn each round is entirely fitting for the archetype, and still weaker than other archetypes. Keeping it to a long rest recharge mechanic is gimping your limited potential for no reason.

CornfedCommando
2019-07-12, 01:44 AM
My biggest question is, why limit it to a long rest, rather than once per turn as it already is?

It's a level 14 feature. The Illusionist is rewriting reality. The Evoker is maxxing damage. Even the Transmuter can get off-list spells and Panacea. This ability is an extra 5d8 damage per day, which you might not even get through. Intelligence modifier to weapon or spell damage roll once on your turn each round is entirely fitting for the archetype, and still weaker than other archetypes. Keeping it to a long rest recharge mechanic is gimping your limited potential for no reason.

Alright, that makes sense. I like it!